I have to talk to a priest and I am super scared

Ohhh my gosh! I just called my priest, I did not expect him to answer, but he did. I am freaking out right now. I know I need to talk to him, but I am super terrified. Advice please!

Are you looking for general spiritual guidance or trying to book time for a Confession? I’m sure father will be sensitive to your needs. Parish priests have a lot of experience often.

1 Like

DON’T BE SCARED. Priests do this all the time. They listen to MANY MANY MANY private things in people’s lives and they are very good listeners and very helpful. Any Priest worth his salt will be more than glad that you called and set up a time to talk to him. They are here to help. They care and want to be helpful and especially to relieve any spiritual suffering we have. Again DON’T BE SCARED. Even if you get emotional and shed tears they are used to that. Just be as honest and upfront as you can be and remember they are sinners too. My Priest told me in the confessional “you can tell me anything”!

5 Likes

Sometimes making the initial call ends up being the worst part. Don’t worry, everything will be alright. Be at peace and know that your priest has heard many stories and problems before and will advise you as needed.

1 Like

Taking the first step is the hardest and that was calling :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The priest can’t say anything about what the two of you talk about to a third person. He can’t even say that he has met and talked with you so what the two of you talk about stays between the two of you.

He is there to help you reach eternal life with God and knows very well that people “take a detour and go off road” and some even get into serious trouble.

Calling is many times the hardest part. The priest knows you are nervous or scared and will do what he can to help you. Write down on a piece of paper or in a notebook what you want to talk about so you don’t forget because of nervousness. I have a couple of notebooks marked with “Deep conversations” that I go back to every once in a while to see what Father/ Deacon and I talked about. After some years now, I can actually laugh about what we talked about when my life was chaotic.

I’ve only met one scary priest in all my life :slight_smile:

Be not afraid, he wants to talk.

Priests are the BEST people to talk to. It will feel like a loving father

1 Like

Most priests I have found are very friendly and easy going when you talk to them 1 on 1. They want people to see them as more than just their Sunday Priest

1 Like

Are you looking into RCIA or private instruction?
He will be thrilled! Just be totally honest.
I think you will find is a pleasant experience.

:pray::pray::pray:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.