I haven't had a strong pull towards a vocation, should I be worried?

I'm 24 and I haven't really felt a pull towards a vocation. It bugs me a little but to be honest I really don't care what vocation i'm called to . I'm just happy to serve God and do his will. However I'm worried that by my age I haven't heard any sort of call. Most of my friends are dating and married or entering the priesthood. Only a few are single, and to be honest one or two have issues that don't really allow them to date.

So should I be worried. I'm kind of laissez faire towards my vocation. I pray about it, but to be honest I just want to serve God. I don't hear any kind of message though. Sure I'd love to be married and have a wife and kids, and being single is also somewhat desirable since I do feel a call to be a lay missionary. However there are some things that attract me to the priesthood. Especially joining the Jesuits or Dominicans (though I haven't looked into these orders other than reading about them. I haven't inquired about joining.

So should I be worried if I haven't heard anything from God about my vocation?

You are 24, that is still young. A lot of 24 year olds haven't finished school yet. I think you still have plenty of time. :)

[quote="WildCatholic, post:1, topic:325695"]
I pray about it, but to be honest I just want to serve God.

[/quote]

:blessyou:

I'm 24 and I haven't really felt a pull towards a vocation. It bugs me a little but to be honest I really don't care what vocation i'm called to . I'm just happy to serve God and do his will. However I'm worried that by my age I haven't heard any sort of call. Most of my friends are dating and married or entering the priesthood. Only a few are single, and to be honest one or two have issues that don't really allow them to date.

So should I be worried. I'm kind of laissez faire towards my vocation. I pray about it, but **to be honest I just want to serve God. **I don't hear any kind of message though. Sure I'd love to be married and have a wife and kids, and being single is also somewhat desirable since I do feel a call to be a lay missionary. However there are some things that attract me to the priesthood. Especially joining the Jesuits or Dominicans (though I haven't looked into these orders other than reading about them. I haven't inquired about joining.

[/quote]

In the end, this is all that matters. However I would advise You to "tally" your interests and see what kind of life interests You. Or at least what sort of things interest You. Get to know yourself. The good, the bad and the ugly about yourself. Once you have the foundational summary of who You are as a person, then start checking the various walks of life and see if they correspond to You as a person and Your interests all the while praying about it. Just my two cents. I am joyed to hear that Service to the LORD is #1 in Your life. Not a lot of 24 year olds can say that! Keep fighting the good fight brother!

So should I be worried. I'm kind of laissez faire towards my vocation. I pray about it, but to be honest I just want to serve God. I don't hear any kind of message though.

Your altitude towards discerning God's will must show eagerness, complete trust in God, perseverance in prayers, and some seriousness. Being laissez faire towards your vocation is negative. Remember the story Jesus told us of the wicked judge and the persistent widow.

Sure I'd love to be married and have a wife and kids, and being single is also somewhat desirable since I do feel a call to be a lay missionary. However there are some things that attract me to the priesthood. Especially joining the Jesuits or Dominicans (though I haven't looked into these orders other than reading about them. I haven't inquired about joining.

The moment your altitude to life presents you as a servant that is awake waiting to do his master's (Jesus') will, you will have vision. I suggest you become proactive. Contact the Dominicans and Jesuits. Meet their vocation director for counselling. A retreat might also be helpful. Allowing this your altitude to persist, you can gradually advance to 40 years still not sure of your calling.

[/quote]

You didn't mention where you stand in terms of education. Have you finished college? Are you working? Does your career interest you?

Regardless of which state in life you are ultimately called, you will need to complete your education. If you get married, a decent education will go far in supporting any family you might have. If you remain single, you will be able to support yourself adequately and have resources for participating in any number of good works. If you become a priest, you will need an education. So, if you haven't done so, focus on completing your education. If you have not found an educational endeavor that interests you, consider a "vocational assessment." In the US, you can usually get one of these done at the local branch of your state's employment office. Tests are administered that can help you discern your talents and aptitudes. Take those into account as you consider what state in life you are called to.

Consider making a retreat for discernment of a vocation. The Jesuits in particular excel at those; discernment was one of St. Ignatius' signature ideas.

Keep in mind that if you enter a seminary, being in seminary itself is a process of discernment. You are not actually in the priesthood until you are ordained as a priest.

The average course study time it takes to become a priest is (4 year BS Degree + 6 years in Seminary). If you are considering priesthood, get in touch with the office of vocations at your Diocese. They can offer suggestions as to proper course work. A seminarian friend of mine told me he had made the mistake of not contacting his Diocese and it would have saved him $$$. I pray you find your path. Disconnect from "the noise" of the secular world for awhile...Unplug...The answer you seek will come in time.

No, just pray about it and look into different vocations.

You either have a vocation or not. If you have, God will help you find the right path, if not, God will help you find what you need. So don't worry, we can not all be priests or monks, or nuns, it is OK and maybe when you grow older God has something for you to do. Until that, keep on praying and do Gods will. Take care.

[quote="odile53, post:6, topic:325695"]
You didn't mention where you stand in terms of education. Have you finished college? Are you working? Does your career interest you?

Regardless of which state in life you are ultimately called, you will need to complete your education. If you get married, a decent education will go far in supporting any family you might have. If you remain single, you will be able to support yourself adequately and have resources for participating in any number of good works. If you become a priest, you will need an education. So, if you haven't done so, focus on completing your education. If you have not found an educational endeavor that interests you, consider a "vocational assessment." In the US, you can usually get one of these done at the local branch of your state's employment office. Tests are administered that can help you discern your talents and aptitudes. Take those into account as you consider what state in life you are called to.

Consider making a retreat for discernment of a vocation. The Jesuits in particular excel at those; discernment was one of St. Ignatius' signature ideas.

Keep in mind that if you enter a seminary, being in seminary itself is a process of discernment. You are not actually in the priesthood until you are ordained as a priest.

[/quote]

As of right now I have a B.S. in Social Science Education so I've finished school. Its just the job situation isn't very good and my family doesn't have a lot of money since were paying a lot for my sister to finish school. To be honest, my major issue is that I can't find a teaching job with my degree. Grad school is appealing, but it costs money. I'd rather make money. While I don't mind living at home, I want to be able to live my own life before i'm 25. Anymore I get so jealous when I here my friends have jobs and girlfriends. I don't feel like a loser, but I worry that all my life will be stuck in a minimum wage job. But if that's my destiny then I guess its okay

Ave Maria!

I think that because you’re here and you’re asking, the pull, although not as strong as others you have heard of, is nevertheless an inspiration and should be followed seriously and promptly. As it is every Catholic’s duty to discern their vocation with utmost attention, you have been given an inspiration that millions of Catholics in these days completely ignore.

I don’t think You need “any sort of call” or miraculous wonders to discern religious life because God has already presented it to your intellect as a reasonable thing to do. To some He does give strong inspirations and signs, others not. Blessed Mother Teresa, for example, in her many decades of being arid of consolations and inspirations, knew it was right to persevere, keep moving forward, and loving God the best she could, and now she is officially in heaven!

You’re still young and have some years, but don’t sit around - keep moving forward. Some communities’ general cut off for the priesthood is around 30. Dioceses will often allow late vocations in their 40’s, as well as some communities.

Explore and go and see. Discernment is taking a journey into yourself to discover how God designed you and what He intends for you. You may discover a particular charism that you never thought would appeal to you.

Don’t worry about girls and marriage. Concentrate on discerning without any distractions - the devil will use any means to keep you from doing this, for he knows that the religious life is designed to make saints, and he hates this with a passion. If you trust God and move forward with all your heart, you’ll either become a priest/religious or He will prepare the perfect wife for you, but in due time.

You will hear things from God about your vocation through your spiritual director (of which you should get one asap), through people you meet, through priests and religious. Here’s your call: Go, brother!
Consecrate yourself to our Blessed Mother Mary** and She will guide you better than anyone else can. She will inspire you and give you all you need to discern the will of God for you. Try to go to daily Mass, frequent confession, and read the lives of the saints for more inspiration. Ave Maria!

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

Thanks Friar John Paul. But I will say there are some emotional things that kind of make me not want to enter religious life. For one thing, for years I felt that I wanted to enter the priesthood, but only because I thought I wasn't good enough to be married since I was at the time shy and awkward and to this day have never had a girlfriend. Also I feel more comfortable being a single laymen or a husband. I love kids and want to teach the faith to my kids. Also, my biggest issue is commitment. For me marriage doesn't seem as hard for some reason. Religious life, even in community seems hard. Also, being single doesn't seem as daunting because while I want to serve God. I'd want to be more independent and serve where I feel called. Also, I want to be open to marriage. If I went into seminary now, my biggest worry is that in 5 years, I'd find myself alone and wanting to be married, but unable to.

Ave Maria!

[quote="WildCatholic, post:12, topic:325695"]
Thanks Friar John Paul. But I will say there are some emotional things that kind of make me not want to enter religious life. For one thing, for years I felt that I wanted to enter the priesthood, but only because I thought I wasn't good enough to be married since I was at the time shy and awkward and to this day have never had a girlfriend. Also I feel more comfortable being a single laymen or a husband. I love kids and want to teach the faith to my kids. Also, my biggest issue is commitment. For me marriage doesn't seem as hard for some reason. Religious life, even in community seems hard. Also, being single doesn't seem as daunting because while I want to serve God. I'd want to be more independent and serve where I feel called. Also, I want to be open to marriage. If I went into seminary now, my biggest worry is that in 5 years, I'd find myself alone and wanting to be married, but unable to.

[/quote]

I think those are just your typical worries and should not keep you from moving forward. Nowadays, 99.9% of our exposure is to the married life - school, friends, family, media - it's all we know. We fear what is unfamiliar to us. Your sentiments for marriage and kids are normal because that's how God naturally designed us, but the religious life is not the natural life, it's the supernatural life.

Keep praying and have recourse to Mary. Our Blessed Mother will explain these all to you if you pray the Rosary every day. Trust Her, be patient, and don't worry. Ave Maria!

“Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.” - St. Pio

JMJ,

fra John Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.