I heard a scary statistic

1 in 8 children will be S**ually abused or molested before age 18.
1 in 6 boys. Not sure of the percentage of girls. I am a male survivor. And also the father of a boy. So this upsets me greatly.

[quote="traillius, post:1, topic:223281"]
1 in 6 boys. Not sure of the percentage of girls. I am a male survivor. And also the father of a boy. So this upsets me greatly.

[/quote]

I do not know where you got this info from and which definition of "sexual abuse" is used to gather the statistics that you look at. If you assume that it includes sexual teasing, comments, or physical pranks from peers, then I am not surprised at all by the number and I would say that it is on the low side. Mature parents can teach the children on how to protect themselves in most cases where the offender is a peer. However, that is quite more difficult when the offender is an adult in a position of authority.

That's the world we live in. People are so sex obsessed, they will get their satisfaction anywhere.

[/quote]

And most of those will be by a family member.

[quote="Alexander_Smith, post:3, topic:223281"]
People are so sex obsessed, they will get their satisfaction anywhere.

[/quote]

Over the past few decades, entertainment media has successfully lusted many people away from Church values of true love and into the perpetual pursuit of shallow amusements that don't last, leaving the addict to jones for more. :mad:

Some good news just fresh out of the oven:

"Author who wrote 'how-to' for pedophiles arrested"

[quote="Alexander_Smith, post:3, topic:223281"]
That's the world we live in. People are so sex obsessed, they will get their satisfaction anywhere.

[/quote]

And this news article that just came out last week shows how our world looks at our children.

[quote="Cristiano, post:6, topic:223281"]
Some good news just fresh out of the oven:

"Author who wrote 'how-to' for pedophiles arrested"

[/quote]

that is good to hear. Thank you for posting that.

[quote="st_lucy, post:7, topic:223281"]
And this news article that just came out last week shows how our world looks at our children.

[/quote]

I just have to look at my 14 y/o son's Facebook account and see the pictures that the Catholic school girls post of themselves. :(

[quote="Cristiano, post:9, topic:223281"]
I just have to look at my 14 y/o son's Facebook account and see the pictures that the Catholic school girls post of themselves. :(

[/quote]

I always feel so sad when I see a young lady treat herself with such disrespect. I believe that this is one of the worst gifts from the radical feminist movement.

I grew up in a typical suburban neighborhood. Out of the close female friends I have more than half were sexually abused. Who were the abusers? Father, step-father, brother & uncle. Also another friend was sexually assaulted by several teen boys at a party when she had had too much drink. Additionally I also know one of husband's cousins was molested by her father. Not one had ever been charged -only one was reported. And these are ones that I do know. I don't know of the ones that don't share their painful history. Its hard to wrap your mind around and if you could ever guess or have an inkling these men were abusers or perverts -trust me you can't, you would be shocked. Its frightening.

[quote="Cristiano, post:2, topic:223281"]
I do not know where you got this info from and which definition of "sexual abuse" is used to gather the statistics that you look at. If you assume that it includes sexual teasing, comments, or physical pranks from peers, then I am not surprised at all by the number and I would say that it is on the low side. Mature parents can teach the children on how to protect themselves in most cases where the offender is a peer. However, that is quite more difficult when the offender is an adult in a position of authority.

[/quote]

Isn't the way sex is treated in the media, advertising, music etc, and the very anti-Catholic undertone in all this already a form of sexual abuse. I', very grateful I grew up in a sheltered environment and I see that the youth of today must be very strong (much stronger than I ever was) if it is to survive and see through all this abusive misinformation.

Those that do manage have my deepest respect and admiration.

[/quote]

Yes, you are in the range of the statics most experts agree on. In Virtus training, the numbers used are 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 10 boys, but the numbers you cite are within published statistics.

Sobering, isn't it.

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Sometimes when I'm sitting in a group of people like a classroom I think of this statistic and its so sad to think that the odds are that several people in that room have been sexually abused. I pray for the healing of victims and the conversion of perpetrators.

[quote="rayne89, post:11, topic:223281"]
I grew up in a typical suburban neighborhood. Out of the close female friends I have more than half were sexually abused. Who were the abusers? Father, step-father, brother & uncle. Also another friend was sexually assaulted by several teen boys at a party when she had had too much drink. Additionally I also know one of husband's cousins was molested by her father. Not one had ever been charged -only one was reported. And these are ones that I do know. I don't know of the ones that don't share their painful history. Its hard to wrap your mind around and if you could ever guess or have an inkling these men were abusers or perverts -trust me you can't, you would be shocked. Its frightening.

[/quote]

Not surprised, uncles molesting nephews, or * shudder * brothers attacking in this way brothers is more often occuring than anyone would like to admit. This post seems to take the voice of saying that its all about the girls, though maybe I am confused. Girls are only about 20% more likely than boys to have this happen, because its almost never about gender. That's okay, you speak for the girls, I will speak just as loudly for the boys.

[quote="traillius, post:15, topic:223281"]
Not surprised, uncles molesting nephews, or * shudder * brothers attacking in this way brothers is more often occuring than anyone would like to admit. This post seems to take the voice of saying that its all about the girls, though maybe I am confused. Girls are only about 20% more likely than boys to have this happen, because its almost never about gender. That's okay, you speak for the girls, I will speak just as loudly for the boys.

[/quote]

Actually, girls are about twice as likely to be molested than boys are. The point, and I believe the point that you are making, is that people need to be aware of the threat regardless of the gender of the child.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:16, topic:223281"]
Actually, girls are about twice as likely to be molested than boys are. The point, and I believe the point that you are making, is that people need to be aware of the threat regardless of the gender of the child.

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Percentages aside, its equally important for either gender. I only speak so loudly on behalf of male survivors because
1) I am one
and
2) Society as a whole largely neglects us, while giving Massive attention to our sisters who share the pain of abuse.

[quote="traillius, post:15, topic:223281"]

[/quote]

That was not was I was saying. I am a female, my close friends are females. I was speaking from my own personal experience. I don't have close male friends so I don't have the experience of knowing male victims personally -plus I think boys/men are less likely to share such an experience. I absolutely was not saying it doesn't happen to boys/men because sadly it most certainly does.

Why is it that we can't have a talk on abuse without it degrading down to I can only talk about my gender or identify with my gender. All abuse is bad. Period. End of story.

[quote="traillius, post:17, topic:223281"]
Percentages aside, its equally important for either gender. I only speak so loudly on behalf of male survivors because
1) I am one
and
2) Society as a whole largely neglects us, while giving Massive attention to our sisters who share the pain of abuse.

[/quote]

I think there could be more people speaking on behalf of male survivors who are often ignored if they can speak out in the first place. www.rainn.org and www.malesurvivor.org are two places that have information on male survivors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.