I hope this doesn't wear off!

Heres the thing. I was confirmed this past Easter, and a couple of weeks ago I attended my first retreat. Over the past 8 months things have changed. I mean REALLY changed! I love the Lord. I love recieving communion. I have an amazing peace. I love apologetics and defending the faith!!! I don’t want this to ever go away!!! How do I stay spiritually alive in the present world?

May Jesus always be your first love!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

That is wonderful!! I can tell you a Catholic secret on how to perservere in the faith. It is also very intelligent and quite unique of you to approach your newness to the faith with the intention of perserving it. The only saying goes: “A pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure”. It also reminds me of the twelve sick men who were healed, how only one came back to the Sacred Heart of Jesus to thank him!!

For final perseverance
"Those who say it fervently and frequently will gradually grow in grace and holiness and will enjoy the special protection of Our Lady and the abiding friendship of God."
“No one can live cointinually in sin and continue to say the Rosary–either he will give up sin or he will give up the Rosary.” Bishop Hugh Boyle

**As a ready and easy means of preserving the Faith **
"…We have elsewhere brought it to the attention of the devout Christian that not least among the advantages of the Rosary is the ready means it puts in his hands to nurture his faith, and to keep him from ignorance of his religion and the danger of error." – Pope Leo XIII

**For courage in the hardships of life **
"…a powerful means of renewing our courage will undoubtedly be found in the Holy Rosary …" - Pope Leo XIII

**As a powerful means of obtaining graces from God **
“Among all the devotions approved by the Church none has been favored by so many miracles as the devotion of the Most Holy Rosary.” – Pope Piux IX

Excerpt from the Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort:

"(last two paragraphs on the last chapter: The Power, Value, and Holiness of the Rosary: A Revelation of our Blessed Lady to Blessed Alan de la Roche) In his first sermon on the Holy Rosary Clement Losoun says: "After Saint Dominic had gone to heaven devotion to the Rosary wanted until it was very nearly dead, when a terrible pestilence broke out in several parts of the country. The wretched people sought the advice of a saintly hermit who lived in the desert in great austerity. They besought him to intercede to Almighty God for them. So the hermit called upon the Mother of God, imploring her, as Advocate of Sinners, to come to their aid.

"Our Lady then appeared and said: ‘These people have stopped singing my praises. This is why they have been visited with such a scourge. If they will only go back to the ancient devotion of the Most Holy Rosary, they will enjoy my protection. I shall see to their salvation if only they will sing the Rosary, for I love this type of chanting.’

“So the people did what Mary asked and made themselves rosaries, which they started saying with all their heart and soul.”

And below will be a Catholic secret on how to persevere in the faith. This secret has been followed by at least 4 notable Catholics to the best of my knowledge.

(1) His Holiness Pope John Paul II followed it

(2) St. Therese of Liseux, a Carmelite nun, followed it. The miracle of St. Therese of Liseux’s life was that, when dying of a horrible painful death of tuberculosis at age 24, she is reported to have said: “I have reached the point of not being able to suffer any more, because all suffering is sweet to me.” She always wanted to be a missionary but could not because of ill health and so she contented herself with praying for missionaries. However, Mother Teresa originally was named Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, and changed her name to Teresa after Therese of Liseux, so in some sense St. Therese lives on.

(3) Polish Saint Maximilian Maria, a Franscian friar, studied philosophy, theology, mathematics, and physics as a college student, before earning a doctorate in philosophy and a doctorate in theology in Rome, while suffering from tuberculosis. He became a priest, changed his name to Maria from Kolbe to venerate the Immaculate Heart of Mary, sheltered 2,000 Jews in his friary during the Holocaust, and when taken to the Auschwitz concentration camp offered to die in place of another man since that man had family and he did not as an abstinent fiar. During his time in the cell, he led the men in songs and prayer. Finally, after three weeks of dehydration and starvation, he was injected with carbolic acid and died. He is reported on the Jewish Virtual Library as Righteous Among the Nations. It shows that no matter how dire the situation God can continue to strengthen us.
jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html.He founded Slaves of the Immaculata, www.consecration.com.

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I came into the Church this past Easter as well. I have NEVER had this close of a relationship with our Lord. I thank God for the Church everyday, especially for the teachings about Our Blessed Mother…we have so many ways and avenues that the Church has given us to keep our Faith alive.

However…I have had something happen lately in my life that is really, really testing my faith. My advice…stay spiritually strong right now, keep going, keep it up because this moment will definitely help you during a test, a trial. I’m not saying, Hey this will end…I’m just telling my experience.

And if you ever feel like not going to Church, not going to Confession, do it anyway! That’s what I’ve been doing for the past few months and can honestly say, the Church knows best … and this has really helped me through this moment in my life.

Thank you God for everything!

God bless, Dana

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

(4) St. Louis Mary de Montfort wrote it and followed it. He lived a short life, traveling on foot and preaching to the poor, building free schools for the poor. He was poisoned because his words attracted enemies and he died. Yet, his work lived on though he did not: His Holiness Pope Leo XIII, His Holiness Pope Pius XII, His Holiness Pope Pius X, and His Holiness Pope John Paul II were all influenced from him. His Holiness Pope John Paul II called his work True Devotion to Mary a “decisive turning point” in his life. His Holiness Pope John Paul II said that as a seminarian, he “read and reread many times and with great spiritual profit,” this work True Devotion to Mary: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_de_Montfort#A_young_priest_who_influenced_the_popes

This True Devotion to Mary promises perseverance.

Excerpt: **8. It is a wonderful means of perseverance ** **173. ** Finally, what draws us in a sense more compellingly to take up this devotion to the Most Blessed Virgin is the fact that it is a wonderful means of persevering in the practice of virtue and of remaining steadfast.

Why is it that most conversions of sinners are not lasting? Why do they replapse so easily into sin? Why is it that most of the faithful, instead of making progress in one virtue after another and so acquiring new graces, often lose the little grace and virtue they have? This misfortune arises, as I have shown, from the fact that man, so prone to evil, so weak and changeable, trusts himself too much, relies on his own strength, and wrongly presumes he is able to safeguard his precious graces, virtues, and merits.

By this devotion we entrust all we possess to Mary, the faithful Virgin. We choose her as the guardian of all our possessions in the natural and supernatural sphere. We trust her because she is faithful, we rely on her strength, we count on her mercy and charity to perserve and increase our virtues and merits in spite of the efforts of the devil, the world, and the flesh to rob us of them. We say to her as a good child would say to its mother or a faithful servant to the mistress of the house, *“My dear Mother and Mistress, I realise that up to now I have received from God through your intercession more graces than I deserve. But bitter experience has taught me that I carry these riches in a fragile vessel and that I am too weak and sinful to guard them by myself. Please accept in trust everything I possess, and in your faithfulness and power keep it for me. If you watch over me, I shall lose nothing. If you support me, I shall not fall. I you protect me, I shall be safe from my enemies.” *

**174. ** This is exactly what St. Bernard clearly pointed out to encourage us to take up this devotion, “When Mary supports you, you will not fall. With her as your protector, you will have nothing to fear. With her as your guide you will not grow weary. When you win her favour, you will reach the port of heaven.” St. Bonaventure seems to say the same thing in even more explicit terms, “The Blessed Virgin,” he says, “not only preserves the fulness enjoyed by the saints, but she maintians the saints in their fulness so that it does not diminish. She prevents their virtues from fading away, their merits from being wasted and their graces from being lost. She prevents the devils from doing them harm and she so influences them that her divine Son has no need to punish them when they sin.”

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I would recommend Eucharistic Adoration, frequent Confession and frequent Holy Communion. And if you are able… daily Masses.

Also… if your parish offers Sacrament of the Sick… present yourself for the anointing. I have been told that we are allowed to receive this Sacrament as often as it is offered… even if we are not physically ill.

We’ve been receiving it once a week for a couple of weeks… and I have felt a great wave of peace and joy washing over me lately… that I can’t explain any other way… except to say… that it is the extra graces from that Sacrament.

Hope this helps. God bless you and keep you strong and vibrant in our BEAUTIFUL faith… the Gift of Our Lord!

Right now my biggest problem are extreme conservatives who seem to think that Catholics are to ba automatons :shrug:

Wow, I had to actually look that one up…LOL…

No, we certainly aren’t robots who just show up to go through the motions if that’s what you mean…

It sounds like you’re on the right track and filled with the love of God, the Holy Spirit, and Catholicism…may it always be near and dear to your heart…

I love everything about our faith, Sacramentals, Sacraments, Devotions, ect…what a great faith and tradition we have…

God Bless.,

I love everything about my faith as well. I just don’t see how some incredibly minor things are seen as “changing the Mass”

If you think your biggest problem is someone else . . . need I finish the sentence?

Don’t you recognize hyperbole when you see it?

I think I know what you’re saying, but can you give an example? There are definitely some things that aren’t a big deal and some that are.

Last thread that comes to mind is on wether or not it is ok to join hands for the “Our Father”

I know exactly how you feel! :smiley: :thumbsup:

Along with what everyone else said, make some time to go on occasional retreats. If you feel “dry” (this is the “desert” that some talk about), retreats help, especially one with Eucharistic Adoration.

Good one! Personally, I don’t think big deal either way, it’s not something that is really part of the mass from an official stand point, but if you don’t wish to participate, then fold your hands and prayerfully say the Our Father with everyone else. But I understand what you’re saying about not making a big deal out of minor things in that respect…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.