I inadvertantly broke some lenten fasting rules - do I need to go to confession?

I'm a relatively new Catholic. I didn't realize that Ash Wednesday was a fasting day and meat abstinence day. Needless to say, I neither fasted nor abstained from meat. Also, today, I twice ate meat because I forgot that I wasn't supposed to, realizing what I had done shortly afterwards. Do I have to go to reconciliation before I get communion this weekend?

If you have full knowledge of what you did at the time and gave full consent of the will, then yes, you do need to confess it.

If you forgot, then there is no act of the will in breaking the fast. You did it without thinking. Sin requires full knowledge and consent.

Even though you forgot, I'd still mention it in confession. Trust me, it will help you to remember next time.

God bless you on being a new Catholic!

[quote="latingirl, post:4, topic:315127"]
Even though you forgot, I'd still mention it in confession. Trust me, it will help you to remember next time.

God bless you on being a new Catholic!

[/quote]

Amen. But don't be hard on yourself! You did what you said; you forgot. But fasting is such a precious gift for us. It cleans us from the inside out! Ask your priest in confession-or better yet, find a spiritual director if you don't have one-and let him set personal guidelines for you.

Blessed lent! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It was an honest mistake, take note and strive to do better.

I agree, this is no sin. You cannot sin if you do not realize at all that something was wrong. When I became married ten years ago I lost track of the days during my honeymoon and didn't realize at all that it was Sunday and I ought to go to church then. I regretted it a few days later when I realized this had happened, but I knew it was no sin.

[quote="djmauck, post:1, topic:315127"]
I'm a relatively new Catholic. I didn't realize that Ash Wednesday was a fasting day and meat abstinence day. Needless to say, I neither fasted nor abstained from meat. Also, today, I twice ate meat because I forgot that I wasn't supposed to, realizing what I had done shortly afterwards. Do I have to go to reconciliation before I get communion this weekend?

[/quote]

That does not seem to be a sin. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.