I just bought The Catechism of the Catholic Church

Is it recommended to read it cover to cover or what?

Also I am getting a lot of flack for my conversion from a political debate forum that I frequent. These people claim to be athiests so I try to disregard them. I actually feel sorry for them. it must be sad wondering through life believing in nothing…how sad.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

First read sections that are of interest to you or on material you would like more information on. I have read the whole CCC from but not from cover to cover. That is just my suggestion . . . hope that helps.

The best way to find sections that are interesting to you would be to check out the index at the back, then the Table of Contents at the front. :thumbsup:

Do you tell them that you feel sorry for them, and are you actively trying to convert them? That might be why they are giving you flack. If you don’t respect them, why should you expect them to respect you?

Here’s a link that might be of help to you (and others) interacting with atheists:

Approaching Atheists: Getting to Know Your Friendly Neighborhood Atheist

As with most Catholic positions, I’ll give you the “both/and” rather than the “either/or” answer.

If you have a specific question on a specific subject then I would say jump to that section.

That said I think the basic layout of the Catechism gives you a wonderful walk through the Catholic faith if you read if from cover to cover.

Good luck and God bless,

Chuck

I highly recommend that you get The Catholic Way: Faith for Living Today to read along with it. Here’s a bit of the review:
Although not intended as a substitute for the catechism itself, Wuerl’s book provides a fitting introduction to the more detailed summary of Catholic thought, which was produced by a commission of church cardinals and bishops. Wuerl is an excellent teacher who has expanded on portions of the catechism’s teachings in 83 chapters, each of them brief and followed by questions for discussion or reflection. He deals with the catechism itself, the place of Scripture, the sacraments, the commandments, moral conscience, natural moral law and prayer. Non-Catholics may be especially interested in his explanations of the church teachings that still separate Catholics and Protestants (namely Mary, the pope and the saints). Progressive Catholics will be happy to see that chapters on social justice issues and racism in America have been included, and traditionalists will be pleased that Wuerl chose to deal with such current concerns as the Catholic belief in the “real presence” and the teaching authority of the pope and bishops.

Also I am getting a lot of flack for my conversion from a political debate forum that I frequent. These people claim to be athiests so I try to disregard them. I actually feel sorry for them. it must be sad wondering through life believing in nothing…how sad.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have no idea what to suggest you do about this, but I’ll pray for you!

There are some very good study guides to the Catechism that do in fact take you through it. I personally do not recomend just sitting down and trying to read it like a book page 1 to page 999. It is also good to just use it as a reference, reading only specific topics as needed, marking what has been read in some way.

For myself, I use it as a reference manual.

I’m going to give you a little different advice. I would sit down and read it cover to cover. I usually do this every year starting with Jan 1. I just finished again. It is the Catechism and needs to be addressed accordingly.

you can, I recommend getting a study guide to help you, the ones from Liguori by Fr Oscar Lukefahr (I know I am not spelling that right) are great. More digestible for first times is the Compendium, a Q&A type volume, and the US Catholic Catechism for Adults (big red book, easier read, takes it in chunks and digests it for you.) the usccb.org bishops website has an on-line study guide, better IMO is the study guide from Our sunday Visitor

Great as a reference…not so sure about reading it cover to cover though (maybe someday).

Congratulations!

You ought to be able to find a recommended reading guide for the Catechism and the Bible in a year—that’s how my wife’s doing.

I sat down and read it cover to cover. It’s laid out pretty logically, so I found that method easier to understand.

I then went back and blogged on big issues (abortion, death penalty, war, etc) with excerpts from the Catechism and my own notes trying to make sense of it. I found that to be a useful exercise, particularly when it comes to understanding the Church’s position on capital punishment.

As for your interlocutors on the political forum, try asking them why they’re so intolerant.

For whatever reason, atheists seem to believe tolerance to be the height of virtue—so feel free to call them on their intolerance.

When I first got my copy I, like others, read it cover to cover. I read a little bit each day. Just a page or a few paragraphs. I found digesting it in little bits was the best approach. It took me 3 months to read it all the way though. :slight_smile:

I have also used Father Oscar Lukefahr’s (yes, Annie you got it right:) ) guide to both the Catechism and the Bible. You can get his free home study guide here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.