'I just don't care,' says texting driver who hit cyclist

A 21-year-old Australian woman pleads guilty to dangerous driving after using her phone to text seven different numbers and then hitting a cyclist, causing multiple injuries, including a spinal fracture.

“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bull$4it and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she told a police officer.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”

cnet.com/news/i-just-dont-care-says-texting-driver-who-hit-cyclist/#ftag=CAD590a51e

Just incredible. She should have been jailed, fined, suspended, and made to commute via bicycling for a year.

Not to be rude or anything, but she actually sounds mentally… challenged. Just put the phone away while driving. Put it in the trunk if it’s that much of a temptation. Sheesh.

The sense of entitlement some people display is distrubing.

Kinda makes you wonder when some people will grow up and actually use their heads.
That would make sense, which, sadly, isn’t common anymore.

She should go to jail for about 10 years, never be allowed to drive again, and have to pay the victim for all medical costs related to her injuries. It seems no one wants to get tough on these jerks, and for the life of me I don’t know why.

If you mean sociopathic, I would agree. Self centered, self important, entitled snot.

The cyclist has a fractured back and she’s worried about her car. That’s narcissism to whole 'nother level right there.

As a cyclist, this doesn’t surprise me at all. It has gotten to the point where I’ve had so many close calls that I only ride with a group or at least one other person. It won’t necessarily prevent this from happening but having someone with you is much better than being out there solo and having a car hit you and drive off.

The only thing I want to do is get home safely to my family! I always pray at least one Hail Mary prior to riding and if possible a Rosary. It may sound superstitious to some but I believe I’ve been protected in those close calls as a result.

My prayers are with this gentleman as he tries to recover!

I think she should have been jailed, not for texting, but for her callous unconcern for the injured cyclist.

This sort of easy sentence gives a message to other self centred morons that there’s not much to worry about if they do injure someone badly through their own actions.

Maybe too much cellphone use does cause brain damage.

Perhaps you should have to have a license to get a phone and lose it if you use it irresponsibly. Some people think that life without a phone would be like solitary confinement. Misbehave and have your number blocked for a time–that would be a powerful incentive to change bad behavior.

The cyclists I’ve encountered all seem to be arrogant and self-righteous (“I ride a bike so I’m better than you.”) They run traffic lights and stop signs, ride on sidewalks, pass cars on single-lane streets and don’t obey traffic laws in general.

I would never try to deliberately hit one, but I have little sympathy when they get hurt. Bicycles are just glorified toys. They should not be allowed on public roads.

:thumbsup:

I find you attitude appalling. Perhaps you should ride a bicycle for a while to get another perspective. Try commuting to your work, or some other place you go regularly, one day per week. It is a healthful thing to do.

I commuted about 200 miles per week on a bicycle for about a year, and also rode 100-200 miles for recreation every weekend, during that time. I am also an avid motorcyclist, and I have been known to put nearly 50,000 miles on a motorcycle in one year.

I certainly saw plenty of irresponsible behavior by some other bicyclists, and I can understand why people in cars sometimes get upset.

I understand that the state of California has passed a law that motorists must give all bicyclist a minimum of 3 feet of clearance when passing them. As California goes, so does the rest of the US. Perhaps this will become the standard in the future in most states.

I have been hit twice by vehicles, while riding a bicycle. In both cases the driver was cited by the police. In one case I collected about $250,000 by suing the driver. Many bicyclists and moto riders are now wearing gopro cameras on their helmets to document the behavior of motorists in case they have an accident.

My average speed on a road bike would normally be around 25 mph, with a top speed on a ride of about 50 mph. Frequently, I would make eye contact with a stopped driver, when I had the right of way. Sometimes the drive would even nod an acknowledgement, and then pull in front of me. One thing that many motorists are not aware of is that a smaller object at the same velocity appears to be moving slower than a larger object at that velocity. So, while the prudent driver would not cut another car traveling at 25-30 mph, they will think nothing of doing that to a bicycle.

One problem that a bicyclist faces is that a braking efficiency is a function of tire contact with the road. Bicycle tires are designed to minimize rolling resistance, which usually means minimizing the contact area of the tire on the road. Bicycles do not stop as quickly as you might expect. Please keep this in mind, when you encounter a moving bicycle.

I once watched a bicycle club running a stop sign on a Sunday morning. There were probably 100 riders. Of course, they should not have been running the stop. There was a driver waiting at the stop sign, and obviously growing impatient. Suddenly, she decided to pull out into the street. At least six cyclists piled up into the side of her car. I rushed over to assist. There were at least three broken bones, possibly more. The drive was handcuffed and arrested for “assault with a deadly weapon”. Even though the cyclists should not have been running the stop sign. She was at fault for proceeding before it was safe to do so. Because she intentionally pulled in front of the moving cyclists, she was charged with a felony.

Keep in mind that a cyclist has the same right to the road as any automobile. In fact, if a cyclist decides to move out into the traffic lane, there may be a good reason which you are not aware of. An approaching intersection may be particularly hazardous for a cyclist, in ways which you would not be aware of in a car. There may be glass or potholes on the side of the road where the cyclist would prefer to ride… just to name a couple of reasons.

I share your sentiment up to the “but I have little sympathy when they get hurt” part. I can’t imagine not having sympathy for someone who gets hurt.

Peace

Tim

I ride a bike, a lot of people have to use a bike and there is a real history of people using bikes to go to work especially in England with the 3 speeds.

That said, I try to ride through neighborhoods when able, have mirrors on bike and lots of lights if I ride at night. Largely, I try not to ride in heavy traffic.

In cycling and cars, it’s obvious that accidents are caused by both sides.

That texting, that’s a danger and not just for cyclists. Haven’t studies come out saying texting is becoming as much of a menace as drunk driving.

It can’t be underestimated, texting is becoming a real danger in society. That’s why there are in fact, campaigns to stop texting while driving and I think maybe laws against it as well.

I don’t have a problem with bicyclists that follow the rules, but I don’t actually see many of them. Most bicyclists that I encounter don’t seem to really believe that traffic laws apply to them.

I understand that the state of California has passed a law that motorists must give all bicyclist a minimum of 3 feet of clearance when passing them. As California goes, so does the rest of the US. Perhaps this will become the standard in the future in most states.

The City of Houston has the same law. There was a piece on one of the local news stations recently of riders using GoPro cameras to document drivers violating the 3 ft law. Interestingly, I noticed that the bicyclists doing that were riding just outside the bicycle lane marking, making it impossible for a car driver to use the left lane of the road without violating the law. That was not commented on during the news piece.

Many bicyclists and moto riders are now wearing gopro cameras on their helmets to document the behavior of motorists in case they have an accident.

I wonder how many keep the video running when they decide that they don’t really have to follow traffic laws?

I once watched a bicycle club running a stop sign on a Sunday morning. There were probably 100 riders. Of course, they should not have been running the stop. There was a driver waiting at the stop sign, and obviously growing impatient. Suddenly, she decided to pull out into the street. At least six cyclists piled up into the side of her car. I rushed over to assist. There were at least three broken bones, possibly more. The drive was handcuffed and arrested for “assault with a deadly weapon”. Even though the cyclists should not have been running the stop sign. She was at fault for proceeding before it was safe to do so. Because she intentionally pulled in front of the moving cyclists, she was charged with a felony.

She got what she deserved and those bicycle riders should have been, at the very least, cited. When one participates in such a dangerous activity, sometimes the outcome is very bad.

I have had encounters with riding clubs much as you describe. Arrogance leads to injury or worse and those riders must be held accountable for their actions.

Keep in mind that a cyclist has the same right to the road as any automobile.

I begrudgingly accept that because that is the law. If it were up to me (and, unfortunately it isn’t), all bicycles AND motorcycles would be banned from the road.

Unfortunately, most bicyclists (in this area, at least) don’t seem to believe that automobiles have the same right to the road as they do.

Regardless, it is a very sad thing when a bicyclist is hurt. The young woman in the OP should be charged with assault.

Peace

Tim

online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140414-904606.html

• April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month and U-Haul is showing their support in an effort to reduce the number of distracted driving related crashes across the US. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), over 3,000 deaths in automobile accidents were caused by distracted driving in 2012. At any given moment, approximately 660,000 U.S. drivers are using their cell phones while driving. Visit uhaul.com/thepledge and take the pledge: to not text while driving.

You’ll find lots of info and of course, state laws up about people texting. I saw a driver in the neighborhood, I forget if I was walking, in the car or on the bike but clearly the driver was heavily distracted at an intersection.

Incredible indeed. The Japanese word for that type of reasoning is (excuse the term) “fart logic.” Seriously, what is up with people today? I feel very sorry for the cyclist for having to be hit by this woman.

Now all I can say is, that this woman would probably be at home in Japan. Not only are there quite a number of people who text while using their bicycles, there are also a number of people who engage in ‘fart logic’. :shrug:

Shame on her. She needs a little soap wash in her mouth.

That would not be possible here unless the car hit the cyclist and did so with intent, which would require the woman saying something to reveal intent. Most of the time accidents are treated as accidents and those disobeying the traffic laws are the ones cited. You say the bike hit the car? I can say with certainty that if that is true, then she will not be found guilty of assault.

Keep in mind that a cyclist has the same right to the road as any automobile.

That is one law I would change if I could, at least on some roads. The inherent danger makes loss of life inevitable. We do not let pedestrians walk in the roadway because it is unsafe. Bicycles are no safer and arguable more dangerous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.