I Just Don't Get It!

I was watching something on EWTN awhile back and it was telling about Orthodox, etc. then at the end of the show, it said something like, “while the Eastern [or maybe it said Orthodox] Church doesn’t have the Fullness of Truth…” which made me think that oh great, now they’re split apart from the CC yet still in union with the Pope. That still doesn’t make sense to me.

I DON’T GET IT!!! Why do people split from the CC? I’m ignorant on the Orthodox church of course but how can they still be in union with Rome if they don’t have the Fullness of Truth? I don’t get it.

Could someone explain so I can have a better understanding?

BTW, is Roman Catholic the REAL kind of Catholic?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe you are confusing Eastern Rite Churches that are in Communion with Rome (accept the primacy of the Pope) and Orthodox Churches (those that have valid sacraments but don’t accept the primacy of the Pope):

ewtn.com/expert/FAQ_Eastern.asp

[quote=Madia]Maybe you are confusing Eastern Rite Churches that are in Communion with Rome (accept the primacy of the Pope) and Orthodox Churches (those that have valid sacraments but don’t accept the primacy of the Pope):

ewtn.com/expert/FAQ_Eastern.asp
[/quote]

Maybe.
But still, why do we have all these rites??

Why can’t we have just ONE RITE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
:smiley: Roman Catholic! Why? The Pope! “You are Peter and on this Rock I will build My Church” (Matthew 16:18) :stuck_out_tongue:

In my understanding, we have different Rites because The Holy Mother Church respects and understands the different cultures and traditions of her children. It gives a richness to the faith that adds to our family. For me, to be a member of the Holy Mother Church, and a Latin Rite Catholic is a glorious thing…perhaps, because I am of Irish/Italian descent and an American, it is simple for me to understand. I think of all my many cousins, of the wonderful differences in culture across the United States, and how I can love and enjoy all of it and none of it detracts from who I am or from my being an American.

It is important to understand that all of the Eastern Rite Churches profess the same beliefs as the Roman Catholic Church does–these Rites are in full communion with the Bishop of Rome and therefore are just as much a part of the Catholic Church as we (who are members of the Roman or Latin Rite) are. However, it is also important to understand that the Catholic Church transcends culture…in other words, these Rites, hailing from different parts of the world and founded by their own apostles, have their own heirarchies, liturgies, customs, and practices that are particular to each Rite. So basically, we (all of the Rites) are in communion through belief, but that doesn’t imply conformity to the same cultural traditions. This is why the Eastern Rites are so important…they are a bridge between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches, because, more than anything, Orthodox Churches fear becoming Latin…the Eastern Rites prove that you don’t have to be Latin to be in the Catholic Church

[quote=mlcampbell]It is important to understand that all of the Eastern Rite Churches profess the same beliefs as the Roman Catholic Church does–these Rites are in full communion with the Bishop of Rome and therefore are just as much a part of the Catholic Church as we (who are members of the Roman or Latin Rite) are. However, it is also important to understand that the Catholic Church transcends culture…in other words, these Rites, hailing from different parts of the world and founded by their own apostles, have their own heirarchies, liturgies, customs, and practices that are particular to each Rite. So basically, we (all of the Rites) are in communion through belief, but that doesn’t imply conformity to the same cultural traditions. This is why the Eastern Rites are so important…they are a bridge between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches, because, more than anything, Orthodox Churches fear becoming Latin…the Eastern Rites prove that you don’t have to be Latin to be in the Catholic Church
[/quote]

Oh I see, that makes more sense.

So it basically is that they believe same thing though they have different traditions based on their culture then?

yep

So does that mean we American Catholics are like that of Latin tradition? :slight_smile:

yep again…pass the salsa

[quote=LSK]yep again…pass the salsa
[/quote]

Don’t forget the chips!
:stuck_out_tongue:

That salsa’s real hot, right??:crying: YUM!

Paris, good questions, thanks for asking. I’ve been wondering, how is it that the Orthodox Churches are not in union with the Pope, and yet still have valid Holy Orders?? What’s the history, and is there a link that fleshes it out better than can be dealt with here?

I’ve got a real surface-level knowledge of the issue, but I believe that the reason behind the Orthodox Schism was a political one of sorts…I could totally be mistaken, but I don’t think it was over any doctrinal matter per say, such as the Protestant Reformation. In the present, these Orthodox Churches, to my understanding, do, in fact, have a few differences in belief from the Catholic Church…however, these heresies gradually occured *after * the schism, and were not the formal causes behind it. This is why the Catechism states that the Orthodox Churches are in almost complete communion with the Catholic Church. I don’t know for sure if, as you stated, their Holy Orders are indeed valid, but, if they are, this is possibly the reason why

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.