I just read Story of a Soul and loved it and need suggestions for further reading

I have just finished reading St. Therese Lisieux’s, Story of a Soul, on recommendation and I loved it. I hope it changes my life.
I am not a mystic, and find the mystics very difficult to relate to; I am still learning how to pray as I ought. On the other hand, I read St. Thomas Aquinas all day for my academic work, and would prefer something more spiritual but not too obvious or simplistic.

The habit of having spiritual reading dedicated solely for my time with the Lord, has been a very fruitful exercise and I would like to continue with my “chapel reading”-- perhaps spiritual classics or lives of saints that are conducive to adoration and prayer.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Peace.
Jessi

The Diary of Sister Faustina is great! :thumbsup:

Yes the mystics can be difficult. I am currently reading the Dialogues of St Catherine. Fastinating but slow going.

I often reocmmend the Book “The Fulfillment Of All Desires” to people. It is subtitled, “a Guidebook for the Journey to god Based on the Wisdom fo the Saints”. It extensively quotes the Doctors of the Church including St Therese, St John of th eCross, St Catherine of Sienna, St Teresa of Avila, and others.
I found it to be an excellent introduction to the Mystics and a wonderful guide, just as it says in the subtitle.

Peace
James

I just bought a bunch of books off Amazon. Story of a Soul was one of them and I can’t wait to read it. I am working on Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales at the moment. I’ve never done any real spiritual reading in my life, so I was concerned about how hard it would be to get through (I usually read sci-fi/fantasy novels) but so far this book is wonderful.

I suggest the book “Alexandrina.” It is about the life of a Portugese victum soul who had a special connection to the Fatima apparitions. The message of her life could be summed up like this: “Don’t sin, pray the Rosary every day, and receive Holy Communion.” I liked Alexandrina, I thought she was so holy and sweet. You can find the book at the tan books website–it’s pretty cheap, and that’s always a bonus!

I second the recommendation of St. Francis de Sales’ Introduction to the Devout Life. Another excellent book to read is ROSARY: Mysteries, Meditations and the Telling of the Beads by Kevin Orlin Johnson.

Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis (this book had a major influence on the life of St. Therese).

If you are interested in Caremlite Spirituality:

St. John of the Cross:

St. Teresa of Avila:

For Prayer Anything by Fr. Thomas Dubay.

– Cadian :knight1:

There is a book that I’ve been wanting to read for a long time, but have not yet found the time. :frowning:

Anyway… it might be a nice compliment to “The Story of a Soul”. It is called “My sister, St. Therese”… written by Celine Martin (Sr. Genevieve of the Holy Face).

Here is a link:

search.barnesandnoble.com/My-Sister-Saint-Therese/Celine-Martin/e/9780895555984

God bless :slight_smile:

Just started working with a spiritual director who has me reading “Fire Within” by Fr. Thomas Dubay. I’m about halfway through and would highly recommend it. In less than two weeks it has already had a profound effect on me.

The subtitle of the book, “St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel - on Prayer” is exactly what the book is about. I never knew the contemplative life was possible for me until I started readign this book!

May I suggest “Story of A Life” written by Guy Gaucher on St. Therese’s Story of a Soul.
alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=7861065&matches=12&author=Guy+gaucher&browse=2&title=story+of+a+life&cm_sp=workslistingtitle

I love reading about the lives of the Saints, quotes from the Saints, etc. two books that I would highly reccomend are 1. WISDOM OF THE SAINTS. I don’t know who the publisher or authors are because I found it in the library, in the basement of the church that I attend, but it is a very good book. 2.WORDS OF LIGHT inspiration from the letters of Padre Pio. its published by Paraclete Press. I would also reccomend any and all books about Padre Pio, & any and all books about Saint Francis of Assisi

The books that first came to mind were: I Believe in Love by Fr. Jean CJ d’Elbee (very good commentary on St. Therese’s thoughts), Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila, Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (as the above poster mentioned), Introduction to a Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales (as another poster mentioned), and The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence.

Another book that I just checked out from the library in the basement of the church I attend is - 201 INSPIRATIONAL STORIES OF THE EUCHARIST by Sister Patricia Proctor, OSC

I read through about twelve pages of this book last night, and I found myself in tears.

on the inside cover, it states that this is a Called by Joy Book, and it has a website listed in it, that I will list below.

[www.calledbyjoy.com](www.calledbyjoy.com)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.