I just realized I've gotten fat, am I in mortal sin?

4 months ago I had an active job and ate as much as I felt I needed to to keep going throughout the day but left that job. Since going back to study I’m not that active anymore but am still in the habit of eating a lot. I got on the scales today and realized I’ve gained heaps of weight. My BMI is now 26.9 (anything over 25 is overweight) so now I’m worried I’m in mortal sin from gluttony.

Please help! Am I in mortal sin?

sounds like you need some spiritual counsel from your pastor, not random answers on the internet. it sounds like you are having trouble distinguishing what things are sinful and what things are not.

What Ke said. Seek professional help - from a spiritual director, and possibly from a nutritional therapist.

Ok, I found good sources that may be of help, allow me to quote.

Taken from the Catholic Encyclopedia

Gluttony (From Lat. gluttire, to swallow, to gulp down), the excessive indulgence in food and drink. The moral deformity discernible in this vice lies in its defiance of the order postulated by reason, which prescribes necessity as the measure of indulgence in eating and drinking. This deordination, according to the teaching of the Angelic Doctor, may happen in five ways which are set forth in the scholastic verse: “Prae-propere, laute, nimis, ardenter, studiose”, or, according to the apt rendering of Father Joseph Rickaby: too soon, too expensively, too much, too eagerly, too daintily. Clearly one who uses food or drink in such a way as to injure his health or impair the mental equipment needed for the discharge of his duties, is guilty of the sin of gluttony. It is incontrovertible that to eat or drink for the mere pleasure of the experience, and for that exclusively, is likewise to commit the sin of gluttony.

(That source was provided by this Apologist on one thread that could also be of help)

I’ve confessed to overeating once or twice.

You complete idiot. What planet are you living on? You trivialise ‘mortal sin’ posting rubbish like this.

Where you bored when you posted this?

You need help from a dietitian, not spiritual counsel.

Best wishes
Padster

Hello Catholic, if you don’t want to be reported , please refrain from any insult towards a fellow brother or sister.How would you feel if you’re treated that way? Let the OP ask.

This forum gets more ridiculous every week.

Best wishes,
Padster

I’ve heard gluttony is a mortal sin and I’m genuinely worried.
You don’t have to be so rude.

Indeed. Gluttony is one of the capital sins. Depending on how you do it it can be a venial or mortal sin.

Gluttony is a sin, obesity is not.

Obesity can (in rare circumstances, I hear) result from something other than gluttony.

Where obesity has arisen due to gluttony, it is the gluttony that remains the sin while the obesity does not.

In other words, you’re not in some kind of perpetual and irrevocable state of mortal sin due to the size of your body.

If being fat was a mortal sin most of the western world would be in mortal sin. You just did not exercise as you once had. I would suggest you eat no more than you did then.
Every failure is not a sin. Get up, stop worrying and go do some exercise.

Im a bit overweight myself, but not due to food, I drink too much sugary soda thru out the day, back a few years ago, i switched to diet cokes and the extra pounds came off very quickly…its my belief that people know why they are heavy, they know what is keeping the weight on them, the problem is though, its tough to change that, especially the first few days, you are so used to eating drinking certain things, its tough to mess with that.

I gained over 60 lbs while eating a low calorie diet and exercising hours a day. It never occurred to me that my obesity was a sin and once I got my illness treated, I lost all that weight.

I do not think being overweight is a sin in most circumstances. But for your health, you may want to try adding a few more vegetables and eliminating some of the junk food. Maybe try to get some activity in every day.

Being overweight is not a sin, no matter what the circumstances. It cannot be a sin, as being overweight is never an act, but a condition.

In the same way, things like being an unwed mother or having cirrhosis of the liver are not sins, because they too are conditions, not acts. It is possible that the sinful act of repeated gluttony led to the condition of obesity or the sinful act of pre-martial sex led to the condition of being an unwed mother, or the sin of excessive alcohol consumption led to the condition of cirrhosis of the liver—but in all those cases, the sin is the act, not the condition.

I hate to harp on this point, but I think the distinction matters because if we do not make this distinction we are acting like people can be in a perpetual state of sin for the commission of one (or even many) of these acts, and that is not the case. For all we know, the obese person may have confessed gluttony, the alcoholic may have confessed his alcohol abuse, the unwed mother may have confessed pre-martial sex and so on.

I know being overweight for priests is a sin from the Revelations of Saint Bridget, because it causes scandal. Priests are supposed to be spiritual leaders and masters of bodily discipline.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm

Sin is nothing else than a morally bad act (St. Thomas, “De malo”, 7:3), an** act **not in accord with reason informed by the Divine law. God has endowed us with reason and free-will, and a sense of responsibility; He has made us subject to His law, which is known to us by the dictates of conscience, and **our acts **must conform with these dictates, otherwise we sin (Romans 14:23). In every sinful **act two things must be considered, the substance of the act and the want of rectitude or conformity (St. Thomas, I-II:72:1). The act is something positive. The sinner intends here and now to act in some determined matter, inordinately electing that particular good in defiance of God’s law and the dictates of right reason. The deformity is not directly intended, nor is it involved in the act so far as this is physical, but in the act as coming from the will which has power over its acts and is capable of choosing this or that particular good contained within the scope of its adequate object, i.e. universal good (St. Thomas, “De malo”, Q. 3, a. 2, ad 2um). God, the first cause of all reality, is the cause of the physical act as such, the free-will of the deformity (St. Thomas I-II:89:2; “De malo”, 3:2). The evil act **adequately considered has for its cause the free-will defectively electing some mutable good in place of the eternal good, God, and thus deviating from its true last end.

If you are in a state of mortal sin and do not pray for your neighbor, that is already a sin.

I don’t understand this reply. Are you talking about being in a state of mortal sin and not praying for one’s neighbor per se, or are you suggesting that one who is overweight is in a state of mortal sin?

If being overweight were a sin, then the Church really messed up in canonizing St. Thomas Aquinas and making him a Doctor of the Church.

Gluttony, on the other hand, is a sin (and definitely a crutch of mine). Oh, those nachos…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.