I know what I believe but

Is contraception a sin? I've always believed it to be so but have never been taught that it is. I have been put on a medication that hurts the developement of babies. My doctor assumed that would not effect my life, thinking I would simply contracept. As a single woman I understand this to be called to a life of abstinance as I have a chronic illness and will be on this medication until they find a new one. I am at peace with this but I get very conflicting views from catholic friends.

Yes, it is a sin to use contraception, unless you are married and there is a serious medical reason why you should not bear children. If you are single having sex outside of marriage is a sin in and of itself, let alone using contraception to make that sin easier and without natural consequence. We as Catholics are called to be open to life through sex with our spouses, but outside of marriage, are called to be fully chaste.

There are, unfortunately, Catholics who do not follow Church teaching on this subject, and they will usually speak up proudly about it. Ignore them. Read the Catechism. Keep your thoughts pure. You are doing the right thing. Keep your personal life personal, between you and God.

as a single woman you are called to be chaste. however, please do not be fooled by what people tell you. for any further information and clarification you can always approach a catholic priest who will guide you on the right path. as catholics we are like sheep among wolves so we have to be careful about what we hear and believe. please do not as far as possible take any medication for not conceiving unless very very necessary.
be blessed.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:238359"]
Yes, it is a sin to use contraception, unless you are married and there is a serious medical reason why you should not bear children. I.

[/quote]

it is always a sin for married couples to use artificial, barrier, chemical, surgical or other means of contraception absolutely and in all cases. The remedy for a married woman who cannot for medical or other good reasons get pregnant is abstinence, either total until the condition resolves or menopause occurs, or periodic, assisted by NFP and modern very effective methods of ovulation prediction. In no case is a woman justified in using any means of artificial contraception for the sole purpose of preventing pregnancy. Yes those means may morally be prescribed and used for other medical reasons or therapies.

since you are a chaste single woman the situation does not arise, so you may take the prescribed medicine without fear

[quote="onaquest, post:1, topic:238359"]
Is contraception a sin? I've always believed it to be so but have never been taught that it is. I have been put on a medication that hurts the developement of babies. My doctor assumed that would not effect my life, thinking I would simply contracept. As a single woman I understand this to be called to a life of abstinance as I have a chronic illness and will be on this medication until they find a new one. I am at peace with this but I get very conflicting views from catholic friends.

[/quote]

Contraception is morally wrong because gave us this power to reproduce and with His help to create life.He doesn't want us to misuse the gift.Eve was so happy when she conceive Abel.She said I conceived a son with the help of God.

Yes, contraception is an intrinsic evil.

As a single person, you have no issue because single people remain chaste as appropriate to their state in life.

If you were to marry, your choices would be to use Natural Family Planning through observation of your fertility signs, abstain from intercourse to avoid pregnancy while on medication, or change or discontinue medication. All of these are options for a married person.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:2, topic:238359"]
Yes, it is a sin to use contraception,* unless you are married and there is a serious medical reason why you should not bear children*.

[/quote]

This is **not **accurate.

Contraception is always an intrinsic evil. There are not any cases when it can be used.

[quote="onaquest, post:1, topic:238359"]

[/quote]

You ask a fairly broad question (Is contraception a sin?), which is going to yield an unequivocal answer here. But, you go one to state that you're on a medication that is harmful to a fetus. Well, lots of medications, prescription and non-prescription, hurt fetuses, which is why there are those warning labels on pill bottle and boxes. And only some of these medications are contraceptives.

You're getting conflicting opinions on your situation because your Catholic friends aren't necessarily Catholic experts. :p My best advice is, if you truly want a definitive answer, to make an appointment with a priest. Tell him what medication(s) your on and why you're taking them. I'd bet you'd have an answer as to the sinfulness of your situation in ten minutes or less. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.