I Left Mass Early because I felt Sick, Was this Sinful?

Hello Everyone,

Long story short> I'm on some medication that could have very bad side effects. Just after an hour into the mass (immediately after collection). I started feeling very nautious, pains in my back, and I also felt lightheaded and as If the ground was moving under me. This was happening for about 30 minutes, at times I felt that I might faint. Generally I felt really bad, and I left mass early, out of the fear that something could happen to me, and returned home.

Now it's 2 hours after and I still feel rather bad, but alot of those symptoms have now passed.

Was leaving mass in this situation sinful? Please advise,
Thank you.

Why do you think it was sinful?

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:317057"]

[/quote]

Well I remember in RCIA classes, they mentioned that leaving mass is sinful and also disrespectful to the priest. I was just wondering if it was wrong or not.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:317057"]

[/quote]

Indeed.

Absolutely not. If you are sick, you are sick. I believe the Catechism touches on this.

[quote="mcw013, post:1, topic:317057"]
Hello Everyone,

Long story short> I'm on some medication that could have very bad side effects. Just after an hour into the mass (immediately after collection). I started feeling very nautious, pains in my back, and I also felt lightheaded and as If the ground was moving under me. This was happening for about 30 minutes, at times I felt that I might faint. Generally I felt really bad, and I left mass early, out of the fear that something could happen to me, and returned home.

Now it's 2 hours after and I still feel rather bad, but alot of those symptoms have now passed.

**Was leaving mass in this situation sinful? **Please advise,
Thank you.

[/quote]

Absolutely NOT. If you had stayed, perhaps you might have collapsed! Be at peace/

Thank you for the replies everyone. I guess it was not sinful, but I still regret not being able to stay until the mass had ended.

[quote="mcw013, post:7, topic:317057"]
Thank you for the replies everyone. I guess it was not sinful, but I still regret not being able to stay until the mass had ended.

[/quote]

Your Priest would want you to rest and take care of yourself.

[quote="mcw013, post:1, topic:317057"]
Hello Everyone,

Was leaving mass in this situation sinful? Please advise,
Thank you.

[/quote]

Personally, I don't think it is sinful but bring it up in your next confession if you want to be assured.

[quote="mcw013, post:3, topic:317057"]
Well I remember in RCIA classes, they mentioned that leaving mass is sinful and also disrespectful to the priest. I was just wondering if it was wrong or not.

[/quote]

Just as not attending Mass is perfectly acceptable when you are ill, so is leaving part way through.

I think what the RCIA class might have been trying to emphasise is that Mass is not some social event that people can wander in and out of without good reason. For example, deciding to step outside to take a friend's phonecall would be considered disrespectful. However, leaving because you (or someone you care for) is unwell, or for something that constitutes a bona fide emergency is perfectly acceptable.

So, don't worry. You did nothing wrong, and I hope you feel much better soon! :)

At least you made an attempt. Many people who are sick don't even make it as far as you did ;)

[quote="mcw013, post:7, topic:317057"]

[/quote]

Next time, ask yourself what might happen if you stay. Pass out, fall on someone, vomit on someone, cause a disruption at Mass...

Does that put things in perspective?

People who are sick (in a way that would make Mass hard for them or dangerous for others) are excused from their obligation to go to Mass, and one is often obliged by prudence not to go. (For example, it's not charitable to bring your germs to Mass so you can share them with the whole parish, including frail people.)

[quote="Mintaka, post:13, topic:317057"]
People who are sick (in a way that would make Mass hard for them or dangerous for others) are excused from their obligation to go to Mass, and one is often obliged by prudence not to go. (For example, it's not charitable to bring your germs to Mass so you can share them with the whole parish, including frail people.)

[/quote]

Thank you for this . Due to increasing allergies to cleaning chemicals and OH! the amount of perfume folk wear I cannot attend Mass. Often I stand outside and go in for communion

Or mass on radio or the internet.

At one Friary I used to go to mass at, they all knew i would not be there on a Tuesday at all as they polished the floors on Moandys and I would last about a minute before starting to choke.

There is surely no virtue in knowingly causing damage to yourself and needing an ambulance.

[quote="mcw013, post:3, topic:317057"]

[/quote]

If you leave Mass because you are sick it is neither disrespectful nor a sin.
If you leave Mass without a good reason it may well be disrespectful but not a sin.
While everyone should try to be at Church before Mass starts and leave after the the priest at the end of the Mass there is actually no Church document which states there is an obligation to be at Mass for a specific period. Canon Law simply states you must participate in the Mass to fulfill your obligation. It does not state for how long. There are varying opinions given but they are just that - opinions.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.