I like a Jehova Witness

What would anyone suggest about liking a Jehova witness? Can us Catholics marry a JW?.. and how?

Thanks

I’d advise against it. If you are a Catholic, they’re goal is to make you a JW. Do not forget that. You’re not gonna have a whole lot to talk about with a JW anyway. They don’t celebrate birthdays or holidays, and they are going to try to get you to do as they do.

Catholics can marry non-Catholics, but whether you are Catholic or not, do not marry someone who is part of a cult. These people sometimes marry nonbelievers with the main purpose of converting them.

Liking is not a problem; the theology is. If you can by into a misreading of “Yaveh” being “Jehovah”, and Jesus being a great guy, but not divine, and the eucharist being a synbolic thing- then you can be a Jehovah witness.

Happy cake day, redbetta!

JWs are a completely different religion, this person’s goal is to convert you away from Catholicism.

Learn more, it is a very hopeless outlook on the world.

Thank you so much. Have some cake.

:cake:

Here’s my take.

It depends on the JW. Some things, as mentioned, to consider.

1. JWs don’t celebrate birthdays or many holidays. This could lead to arguments later if you’re tired of your spouse not coming to Christmas with family or similar situations. It might also lead to arguments about celebrating your childrens’ birthdays.
  2. There’s also the issue of not taking blood transfusions. If your child or you are in a situation where a blood transfusion is necessary, there may be disagreement at an already stressful time.
  3. The disfellowship of JWs is rather extreme. If a member of your family gets disfellowshipped, your spouse may have a very different response than you’d want.

Now we obviously don’t know this person personally. It may be that they aren’t as strict as official JW doctrine and that may make things easier. Perhaps they’re a lot looser and closer to your values than the stereotypical JW. Those will be things you’ll have to check. But the potential issues are something to bear in mind to see if they could become issues.

Catholic beliefs and culture are not compatible with JW’s beliefs and culture. Having similar beliefs and culture is very important to a marriage.

When you are looking for a life partner, it’s smart to look for another Catholic. Together you can build a life and partnership with the sacraments, on solid ground. Jesus set up his church for our salvation. Do not put him aside on a shelf when deciding on who to date.

Your JW friend does not /can not accept your worship as true worship of the one true God. For them to do so is a direct contridiction of their doctrines and beliefs of how they are supposed to worship. This alone would mean they do not / can not believe your inner most intimate beliefs and thoughts.

So, can a man and woman be truly happy in an intimate relationship under these circumstances?

Peace!!!

Yes, a Catholics can marry a JW, but it requires express permission from the competent authority in the Catholic Church which can only be granted after certain conditions are fulfilled. Your pastor can explain how to go about doing it.

It is my understanding that JW baptism is not recognized as valid by the Catholic Church. So, for purposes of Canon Law, I think, the JW person would be considered “not baptized” and, I think, the following canons from the Code of Canon Law apply:

Canon 1086
§1 A marriage is invalid when one of the two persons was baptised in the catholic Church or received into it and has not by a formal act defected from it, and the other was not baptised.
§2 This impediment is not to be dispensed unless the conditions mentioned in canons 1125 and 1126 have been fulfilled. (source)

Canon 1125 The local Ordinary [i.e., bishop] can grant this permission if there is a just and reasonable cause. He is not to grant it unless the following conditions are fulfilled:
1° the catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith, and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power in order that all the children be baptised and brought up in the catholic Church;
2° the other party is to be informed in good time of these promises to be made by the catholic party, so that it is certain that he or she is truly aware of the promise and of the obligation of the catholic party
3° both parties are to be instructed about the purposes and essential properties of marriage, which are not to be excluded by either contractant.

Canon 1126 It is for the Episcopal Conference to prescribe the manner in which these declarations and promises, which are always required, are to be made, and to determine how they are to be established in the external forum, and how the non-catholic party is to be informed of them. (source)

I was raised by a JW mother.

Yes Catholics can marry non Catholics but correct if im wrong You have to promise your priest or bishop? To raise your children Catholic.

Believe me jws are the complete enemy of the Catholic Church I grew up with that kind of talk. Your love interest will probably try to convert you
Don’t fall for it read about the real truth here

https://www.catholic.com/tract/stumpers-for-the-jehovahs-witnesses

https://www.catholic.com/tract/strategies-of-the-jehovahs-witnesses

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/evangelizing-jehovahs-witnesses

They know how to manipulate and trick i will pray for you and your interest
God bless you

Canon 1086
§1 A marriage is invalid when one of the two persons was baptised in the catholic Church or received into it and has not by a formal act defected from it, and the other was not baptised.
§2 This impediment is not to be dispensed unless the conditions mentioned in canons 1125 and 1126 have been fulfilled. (source)

Canon 1125 The local Ordinary [i.e., bishop] can grant this permission if there is a just and reasonable cause. He is not to grant it unless the following conditions are fulfilled:
1° the catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith, and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power in order that all the children be baptised and brought up in the catholic Church;
2° the other party is to be informed in good time of these promises to be made by the catholic party, so that it is certain that he or she is truly aware of the promise and of the obligation of the catholic party
3° both parties are to be instructed about the purposes and essential properties of marriage, which are not to be excluded by either contractant.

Canon 1126 It is for the Episcopal Conference to prescribe the manner in which these declarations and promises, which are always required, are to be made, and to determine how they are to be established in the external forum, and how the non-catholic party is to be informed of them. (source)

To Catholics, Jesus is God.
To JWs, Jesus is the Archangel Michael.
I would stay away, I have seen people fall away and enter that cult. God have mercy on them.

Well my wife was raised as a JW, although in fairness she wasn’t baptized nor still actively practicing her faith when I met her. She did have some reservations about Catholicism when I first started bringing her to Mass, but after a few years she was eventually baptized into the Catholic Church.

Her family has since gone back to their meetings and have returned to “the truth” again. Speaking from my own experience, we’ve been pretty fortunate because our differences haven’t been as divisive as other families. However, that is due in large part to my wife never having been baptized. Had she been baptized and left “the truth”, she would’ve been disfellowshipped and her family would have no contact with her unless it was absolutely necessary.

So keep that in mind if things get serious.

I don’t know about the Catholic position but Jehovah’s witnesses are strongly discouraged from dating and especially marrying outside of the faith. They’ll be looked down on as being spiritually weak and lose privileges within the congregation.

I don’t know if you’re in a relationship with one…but if you are they’re going to be counseled to end the relationship.

Any children had in a so called Catholic/ Jehovah’s witness marriage will be raised as one of Jehovah’s witnesses! They’ll feel sad because they think you’re going to die at Armageddon for not worshipping the true God within his organization.

If the person is inactive there’s a chance they will be active again.

Watch the A&E Leah Remney Scientology: Episode on Jehovah’s witnesses this week.

Stay away. A cousin of mine took her own life in 1991. She was married to a man who was JW. There are lots of details I am leaving out but I hope you get my point. Peace be with you

I don’t think they say Jesus was just a guy if they also say he was Archangel Michael (which is nowhere near to what the Bible says but the point is that they are not Arians in belief). They have a whole cult around Archangel Michael.

JW are usually obsessed with prophecies. Their members have said many that were not proven to happen and they take this as a good sign but they never doubt their own visions in the first place. Their logic is the vision was correct (the one who had it was infallibly right in interpreting what he or she saw) and the fact is that did not happen is because God intervened and stopped the vision (usually Apocalyptic) from happening. I sometimes imagine that it must truly hard to leave the organization because of the intense mystique that goes on inside it on a regular basis.
Marrying a JW who does not want to leave the organization will eventually mean you will live according to the organization. If you are ready for the spiritual stress and many times material stress they go through to follow their visions then go for it.
If you are thinking of converting your paramour then maybe consider this before getting married.
The thing is, like their stories or not, the JW take very seriously their beliefs and try to live according to them. Unlike the more institutionalized Christian denominations who allow a more lax way of life for their members. JW are also very strong in taking care to their members to the point of stalking them. For your bf or gf to just leave the organization as you walk out of a mall is probably out of the question. Even if you do convince him or her to leave it, things will pretty hard on both of you.
But if you are up to it, and ready for it, love can conquer it all (especially if you also bring God into your love).

Fomr the catholic .com site: Arianism (4th Century)

Arius taught that Christ was a creature made by God. By disguising his heresy using orthodox or near-orthodox terminology, he was able to sow great confusion in the Church. He was able to muster the support of many bishops, while others excommunicated him.

Arianism was solemnly condemned in 325 at the First Council of Nicaea, which defined the divinity of Christ, and in 381 at the First Council of Constantinople, which defined the divinity of the Holy Spirit. These two councils gave us the Nicene creed, which Catholics recite at Mass every Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.