I like a Jehova Witness

@Yoypaco10

2 John 7-10 Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist! 8 Be on your guard, so that you do not lose what we have worked for, but may receive a full reward. 9 Everyone who does not abide in the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God; whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching;

Well. Jehovah’s Witnesses do believe that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. So 2 John 7 does not apply to them.

they believe he is st Michael, not divine origin, John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. 4 In him was life and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness,and the darkness has not overcome it 9 The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not. 11 He came to his own home, and his own people received him not. 12 But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.

Yes, they believe he is the Archangel. They believe that Michael is the only Archangel. They do believe in John 1:1-14, as it is in Greek, but they translate the end of the first verse into English as ‘and the Word was a god’. It is because ancient Greek did not distinguish between small and capital letters. And did not have an indefinite article. So the Greek here is ambiguous, on whether it means God or a god.

This can obviously vary by person, but from a practical standpoint, the mixed relationships I’ve seen with JW tend not to work very well. The JW partner tends to receive a high amount of pressure from church and family from the issue, more intense than you’d expect from a Catholic or Protestant side of things. This can put a lot of strain on the relationship.

I don’t mean to side track this, but word order is important in koine greek in different ways than in English, as well as the surrounding context. “Theos” being first in the phrase stresses it in a way that it being at the end does not, providing reason to translate without inserting an indefinite article. Furthermore, including a definite article in Greek would suggest a relational identicality between Word and the Father.

I would think it would depend on what kind of Protestant. I would guess that if a Catholic were to marry a fundamentalist Protestant who goes to a church that teaches that the Catholic church is a cult, not truly Christian, then the Protestant partner would surely get similar high amount of pressure from church and family, as when the Catholic marries a JW. It would surely be a marriage with great difficulties.

Well, JWs and others who translate it as ‘and the Word was a god’, do believe also that theos is stressed there. But as far as whether it could still be translated ‘a god’, or not, as some insist, well, the problem is there are no native speakers of koine Greek around, who we could question about it. Koine Greek of course changed gradually to Modern Greek.

Don’t marry a non catholic. You will have trouble raising your kids

how come they are so particular about it, but make many changes in their translations

Thank God for Tradition.

Peace!!!

Yes, they have many changes in their translation in the new edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. They have modernized the translation, and with some verses they also provide an alternate translation, or say what the text says literally. So this makes the new edition better. I am referring to their 2013 edition, which I got several months ago.

Aulef, it depends on the Catholic and the non-Catholic, whether they will have trouble raising their kids. My father was Catholic, and he married an agnostic. But he did not consider it important to raise us kids Catholic, so there was no problem of religion between them in raising us. In fact for quite a number of years I did not even know he was Catholic or that he believed in God. He did not consider it important to go to church. If he prayed, then not publicly.

Except Christians throughout many centuries do not accept this alternative translation as it is against the core of their faith. God would not allow people to be in error for almost 20 centuries until JWs came along. So I tell JWs go ahead and believe what you want but no chance of you convincing me so don’t waste your time.

@Yoypaco10

I think you should ask her if she is interested to become a Catholic Becoming Catholic through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) if she is not willing ,give her time ,or does shye hyave any questions or concerns with the RC ,if she adamant or deep into JW, i would say find a good Catholic women ,your soul is more important and just think about you future children? will they be Catholic ?we can avoid such problems.

As st Paul says in 2 Corinthians 11:3 But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by its cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough.12 And what I do I will also continue to do, in order to deny an opportunity to those who want an opportunity to be recognized as our equals in what they boast about. 13 For such boasters are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is not strange if his ministers also disguise themselves as ministers of righteousness. Their end will match their deeds.

Matthew 16:16-18 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah,the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it.

1 Corinthians 3:11 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ.(Catholic Church)

Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; 21 keep yourselves in the love of God; look forward to the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.
Luke 16:10 “Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and whoever is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much.2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, so that they may also obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. 11 The saying is sure:If we have died with him, we will also live with him;12 if we endure, we will also reign with him;if we deny him, he will also deny us;13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself.

2 Timothy 3:14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, 15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

Be very careful. As others have said she will receive pressure to convert you. It is a very real possibility that if she or one of your children require a blood transfusion she might refuse it. The “elders” will put pressure on her family (and her), even if she or your children risk death.

If there are problems with the marriage and you divorce the children may be turned against you.

Do NOT marry her. Do NOT believe what she says. She may be sincere in what she says now but her mind could change.

JW’s believe that Roman Catholicism is evil, satanic. They will not salute the flag, do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. They are not allowed to read religious material other than what is published by them. They are not allowed to associate with people outside their group. They are very against higher education. You will be discouraged from sending your children to a university or college.

I am sorry to be harsh. Some JWs are more liberal than others. But you risk heartbreak if you go thru with marrying her.

I dont think this is the case when the non-Catholic is a JW and more to the point if the JW is fully following the Watchtower organization or not.

Peace!!!

Interfaith marriages can and do work, if the husband and wife are respectful of eachothers beliefs and of eachother. JW’s, though are not a faith so much as they are a cult.

Dan_Defender, you can have things in Protestant translations of the Bible that go against the core of the Catholic faith. In fact, centuries ago, for that reason, the Catholic church banned Catholics from reading Protestant translations. And then Protestants claimed that the Catholic translations are in error. So then according to Protestants God allowed people to be in error for many centuries, at least when reading translations, such as the Vulgate, the translations into Syriac, Armenian, Georgian, Coptic, all made by Catholics.

If you’re infatuated, it will pass. You have your future children’s souls a true stake here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.