I Love Lucy?

She was also a saavy business woman. She may have played a doormat type wife, but in real life, she was one strong, smart woman. (too bad her husband was a philanderer) —KCT

Situation Comedies of the late 50’s and 60’s were NOT supposed to be realistic. They were presented, like the radio shows, as fantasy. You got your ‘reality through the news broadcasts’. If I Love Lucy was ‘realistic’ they wouldn’t have lasted 3 episodes.

Long Live Lucy (on DVD)!

Yes, they were an escape, and exagerated is all I wanted to point out. But I am sure that there were some real people that acted like they did too.

It was a slapstick kind of humor and better than say the Honeymooners, where Ralph was all talk and loud and not funny at all, but then it was watched a lot too.

I love Lucy was more of a typical family as far as I think, She stayed at home, got his coffee made him breakfast everyday. But she did drive this was unusual tried to problem solve a lot they wanted to buy a house and move that is pretty typical and she had a baby she followed all the norms but wanted to have a carreer too. She went through up way up emotions and down ones too fully expressing them as so we could identify with it all.
She wanted the best for her baby and for her husband, she knew how far to go without going overboard.
I was bearly a teenager when it was on in the 60’s and the thing that struck me the most was the commroderary between the two women and the two men.
Maybe that is part of the humor of it.
D.

I think the Honeymooners was awesome, and the foursome on the show were brilliant together. The loud, bombastic Jackie Gleason was perfectly foiled by the dumb, easy-going Art Carney. And the two women ALWAYS demonstrated that were clevererer than their men–I guess it was early man-bashing! But it was funny!

By today’s standards, some of the stuff on the Honeymooners was bad ("One of these days, Alice…pow, right in the kisser!).

But this was one of the first of the “family” TV shows. It had to start somewhere, and this show paved the way for many other shows.

I really love to think of these four friends living forever in that shabby little apartment building, going to “Raccoons” meetings, bowling, and sharing so many other good times together.

Jackie Gleason was one of the shows that my whole family watched together. My brother and I used to wait for the opening line, and then say it together: “Hoooowwww sweet it is!!!” My parents would applaud us! Ah, such fun!

I guess the best part of the shows was they made up at the end no matter how hard they bleew off steam they appologized, to each other. They tried to make amends and it maybe didn’t work out the way they wanted but they left us with the respect and integrity of the individual and tomorow is another day. Goodnight Trixie, goodnight Ralph, goodnight Ricky , goodnight Fred
goodnight everybody.:slight_smile:
D.

I LOVE LUCY,also OLD TIME RADIO—MYSTERY,I guess I’m just an old fashion gal,also have a black and white tv

I think it is pretty funny, but I have to admit i agree on the fact he patronizes her and she acts like a child----I guess that makes it funny–? I just marvel at the fact she darts around madly trying to make him breakfast, scraping his toast, buttering his bread, pouring his coffee—it makes me feel like a lazy pig! :yup: fast forward to Rosanne-----now that is more my speed.

I kind of like it. It represents an era where traditional family values were the norm.

In general, yes. Does that opinion threaten you enough to evoke a cyber eyeroll? Good. Boogity boogity boo!!

Thanks, Cat. I haven’t heard of the show, but I’ll check it out.

lol. No, it isn’t.

It’s funny how people are automatically jumping to condescending conclusions about me because I don’t agree with an old media portrayal of treating adult women like mischievous, half-witted children, among other things. Oh my, how scandalous of me.

A doormat?

Good grief—she was always scheming, conniving, getting into trouble. A true doormat would just lie there, thus providing no comedic possibilities.

doormat?

What about what the bibles says, Ephesians 5:22-30 (New International Version)

Wives and Husbands

22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

So I asked my wife, "Do you like serving me like our Priest said in the sermon today?

My wife said, “Yes, I do.”

So I said, “You like SERVING me?”

She said, “Yes, I do.”

So I’m still thinking about her answer years later. I think most women won’t reply so well.

Lucy had to trick Ricky into things to get her way. Hardly a healthy relationship.

I sometimes watch The King of Queens and that’s no better. Carrie constantly insulting Doug.

Thankfully they’re just sitcoms and not my life. —KCT

Look, folks, before you get your undies in a bundle over the portrayal of Lucy, please understand this:
Lucille Ball was portraying a stock character, the “ditzy dame.” Nobody in the Fifties believed that all women were like that. In fact, Lucy was funny because she was untypical of women. She was a clown. Look at other sitcom wives and mothers–Donna Reed, Harriet Nelson (The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet), the mothers on Leave It to Beaver and Father Knows Best. They were all portrayed as sensible women. (Although they had a tendency to do their housework wearing shirtwaist dresses, high heels and pearls.) It was just entertainment. Lighten up.

In the early years of I Love Lucy, most of the situations took place where they lived, in the apartment/duplex. (I forgot whether both families lived in an apartment or a duplex house). Anyway, both women mostly stayed at home. By the late 50’s you saw more of what suburbian life was like (Leave It To Beaver).

Slapstick comedy was a form of comedy which really took on it’s era (mostly the Vaudeville and Silent Film era comedy). So it was evident that early television would revive this comedy and that’s way the popular shows ‘were’ popular back then. I don’t believe this kind of comedy would work today, because were too much of a technological kind of world. (i.e. verbal comedy).

I watched those shows as a child, I found her pretty funny, which is not the usual, because some humor from there doesn’t do so well here and vice verse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.