i love mary

i’m a recent convert to the catholic faith. i grew up sothern baptist, became episcopalian at age 18, and became catholic at 40.

as is the case for many protestants who convert, the church’s teachnigs on mary were the most difficult for me to accept. but i eventually did.

now, i don’t just tolerate the marian teachings. i embrace them. i have devloped a love for our lord’s mother. and i think the relationship i am developing with her has greatly deepened my christian faith, made me a more charitable person, helped me to sin less, etc. of course, these things aren’t solely, or even mostly, attributable to mary (the sacraments have had the most powerful positive effect), but i definitely think that developing a devotion towards her has helped me.

i pray the rosary almost every day–sometimes twice per day. nothing has a more calming effct on me than that. it’s the perfect way to turn the chaos of daily living into calm. i recommend it to any protestant who’s thinking of converting. and i absolutely recommend it to all catholics.

some protestants have a problem with mary, and i understand that. but they should consider this: every church will have a feminine element in it. in the catholic church, it’s mary. in protestant churches, it’s female pastors, gender-neutral references to God, and a feminized jesus. give me mary.

I think a lot of the issues Protestants have with Mary comes from a misconceived notion that we pray to Mary, instead of asking for Mary to pray for us.

Good on you! The Blessed Virgin is surely the greatest female role model in history. She teaches us to say YES to God like she did!

Welcome Home Captainmike!!!

I’m so glad that you have embraced the Marian Devotion. She’s our sweetness and our hope. Her main role is to guide us toward her Son Jesus. She’s our intercessor from the time Jesus was on earth. In Cana, what did she say to the servants, after she let her Son know that “they do not have wine”? DO WHATEVER HE TELLS YOU! At the request of His mother, Jesus performed His first Miracle!
This has been her message always, to guide us to listen and do whatever Jesus tells us.

i pray the rosary almost every day–sometimes twice per day. nothing has a more calming effct on me than that. it’s the perfect way to turn the chaos of daily living into calm. i recommend it to any protestant who’s thinking of converting. and i absolutely recommend it to all catholics.
some protestants have a problem with mary, and i understand that. but they should consider this: every church will have a feminine element in it. in the catholic church, it’s mary. in protestant churches, it’s female pastors, gender-neutral references to God, and a feminized jesus. give me mary.

Amen!!!

I’ll add your name to my list I have, in the Immaculate Heart of Mary, every time I pray the rosary, specially with the sisters of EWTN at 8:30 pm, every day.

Welcome Home again!!!

For me, Marian devotion and veneration of the Saints just makes sense. After all, Mary is more alive than any of us. She has gone to heaven, and therefore has shuffled off this mortal coil. Who better than Mary to ask for assistnace in prayer? I converted in '08, but have only recently began to embrace the Blessed Virgin Mary. One of my prayers to the Holy Trinity is for the faith to more fully embrace my Catholic faith, and by extention, the Saints, and espcially Mary.

I love her too! Billy Graham reportedly said that Protestants worry too much about Mary.

CWBetts,

Welcome Home!!!
I agree with you when it comes to ask the Holy Trinity to love more Mary. My prayer always is: Jesus, put in my heart more love for your mother and to Mary, bring me closer to Jesus, specially before I start my adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, its guaranteed that my Mother is guiding me for the whole hour.

That’s very insightful. Thanks!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.