I Love Sacred Music

I sing in the choir and listen to a PBS station that features classical music, sacred music, etc. I have to laugh occasionally at the juxtapositioning of text and performers. Today I heard a choir perform a modern setting of “Ave, Verum Corpus.” The laugh came at the announcement of the performers: the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They sing beautifully and although modern, the setting was quite nice, but the idea of Mormons singing in praise of the Holy Eucharist in which they do not believe is more than ironic. One is tempted to speculate on God’s reaction.
We do a couple of different settings of “Ave Verum” (I prefer the Mozart) and will continue to do both modern and classical versions of various texts along with our chanting of Introit and Communion.

Reb Levi

I assume this was being sung in Latin. The choir may not have been aware of the meaning of the words. On the way to church, I listen to “Sing for Joy”, a Lutheran broadcast, which is followed immediately by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I have heard several hymns in English where they have changed lines to conform to their beliefs. If my wife is not in the car, I switch to something else after Sing for Joy goes off.

Our choir sang Panis Angelicus today, which is one of my favorites.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs a good All Creatures of Our God And King, but they leave off the last verse because it doesn’t align to their belief. (They reject the Holy Trinity.)

I’m a recent convert to the LDS Church and was blessed to be able to go to Utah recently and see the Tabernacle Choir perform live. Their voices really are wonderful!

One thing that bothers me is that they have an English LDS version of the Ave Maria called “Heavenly Father.” I really don’t like that. The original is just so beautiful that nobody should mess with it. To this day I listen to Andrea Bocelli’s version and it just brings me so much peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.