I’m 26. Coronavirus Sent Me to the Hospital

March 23, 2020

I’m 26. I don’t have any prior autoimmune or respiratory conditions. I work out six times a week, and abstain from cigarettes. I thought my role in the current health crisis would be as an ally to the elderly and compromised. Then, I was hospitalized for Covid-19.

On Friday, March 13, only a few hours after deciding I would begin to socially distance for the well-being of others, I developed a fever and headache. I tried not to assume the worst, but just in case, my partner and I decided to sleep in separate bedrooms. By the next morning, I had a cough. On Sunday, I started to feel better and my fever was gone. I felt thankful that even if this was coronavirus, I’d most likely be able to ride it out at home, as I’d heard people like myself had little to worry about. I began planning the work I’d catch up on the next day, and the much-needed shower I’d take.

That night I woke up in the middle of the night with chills, vomiting, and shortness of breath. By Monday, I could barely speak more than a few words without feeling like I was gasping for air. I couldn’t walk to the bathroom without panting as if I’d run a mile. On Monday evening, I tried to eat, but found I couldn’t get enough oxygen while doing so. Any task that was at all anxiety-producing — even resetting my MyChart password to communicate with my doctor — left me desperate for oxygen.

I will of course leave the analysis to experts, but many young people are coming down with the virus, they may not die but apparently, they are still burdening the system needing hospital beds and the like, respirators and so on. This is problematic, it’s not like they totally skate on this issue.

A bit of a similar story in today’s news:

3 Likes

We mustn’t be presumptuous about who the virus will hit and who it won’t, who gets sick and who doesn’t. This bug is unpredictable. While it may primarily sicken the elderly and infirm, it can do just as much damage to the young and the fit. All bets are off with this one.

8 Likes

There is so much we don’t know but even Newsweek felt it appropriate enough to report on a non-peer reviewed study on potential links of coronavirus and infertility. That means about everyone would be affected. We didn’t hear much in the news about this.

So, how were they able to find this out, only months after the coronavirus broke out?

It’s too early to tell but just imagine, this disease caused infertility in some males? That would affect most all age groups (0-9 years old, I would not know about since they apparently are not having major problems with it, it seems).

I have friends in their 80’s and they are continuing to get out and going to the
stores. We are supposed to stay home to prevent spreading. They seem to be
wearing it as a badge of honor that they are in their 80’s and defying the advice of staying home. They are going out just to be going out, not because it is necessary.

2 Likes

Sounds like they feel as though they’ve lived a good life and won’t let the fear of death keep them from living. I don’t see a problem with that.

Except they could be putting others at risk.

6 Likes

Yes. Even infected people who have very mild or no symptoms are putting others at risk by not practicing social distancing. As several doctors have said, everyone should assume they’re infected and keep their distance from others.

4 Likes

I left the house to do a no-contact exchange of cleaning materials with my sister (she left the materials in her car with the door unlocked, I deposited what I Was bringing her). Along the way I saw the local sports bars were packed! Their parking lots were at capacity. I don’t get it.

3 Likes

Same in London.

Dumb, really dumb. I can assure you the same really dumb outlooks are in full display in the UK with people wandering down to the seaside in mass groups over the weekend because it was nice sunny weather.

The same in Ireland, a friend of my wife lives there and she posted a picture of a load of people on a beach in Ireland having a huge party. To show further how dumb some of the attitudes are I shared that to Facebook commenting that this is a silly way to be going on. My shared version of the picture had the original girl’s name on who took it, her name is plainly from Eastern Europe. She’s a part Romanian, part Russian girl who lives in Ireland with an Irish husband and went there to work as a nurse years ago.

A bit later one of my own relatives posts a reply about, ‘The Irish not needing to be told what to do by gold-digging girls from countries where they can’t even speak the proper Englishs’. I pointed out it doesn’t matter who is saying it if it is true and that he might want to look at the irony of this advice giving his own English. Followed up with a comment about how I’m too soft on these ‘foreign ones’ and ‘They’ll be got out of Ireland now’ I asked him as the girl concerned is a nurse will he be happy when the numerous foreign nursing and medical personnel who live in Ireland are chucked out. He didn’t reply to that…

4 Likes

Just heard Boris Johnson’s order for everyone to stay home.

Apparently the subways are still crowded, too:

1 Like

The problems are decisions to allow things like construction projects to go on. I fortunately do not use the tube for work and loathe it any way. The system is seriously overloaded and nearing collapsing normally on many lines.

1 Like

People in the San Francisco area seem to be avoiding unnecessary travel fairly well. Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) trains have been relatively empty even during rush hour as can be seen in this picture from last week.

3 Likes

The sports bars haven’t been closed down where you live??? Wow. Delivery and take out only for restaurants here. Bars definitely closed.

2 Likes

Not at the time I posted the message. After much criticism and pressure Govenor Brian Kemp of Georgia finallybdecided to close bars. Liquor stores are still opened though.

The reported numbers of confirmed infection are low. But I think this is partially because there simply isn’t a lot of testing. If someone is doing poorly then they can get a referral to get a test. I speculate that with wider testing and numbers better informed by it some people would take it more seriously.

1 Like

Yes, it is escalating very quickly in many locales… the problem is many people can be infected and contagious without any symptoms at all… all those people huddled together at the sports bars makes me think of a major dental conference that was held here a few weeks ago (before such conferences / events got banned). My aunt was at that conference. Turns out at least 8 participants have since tested positive for the virus, and one of the dentists just died… I’m sure we will be seeing more and more “recent events” where some among the crowd were actually infected.

2 Likes

Since it can be up to two weeks for symptoms to show up it could also be up to two weeks before the benefits of any action to limit new infections becomes visible. Not that numbers are being collected so that such an outcome would be plainly visible.

GA has about 1000 cases and appears to be doubling every 2.2 days. Without mitigation, your In a week you’ll be close to 10,000.

1 Like

Nice of them to make that decision for others.

This isn’t bungee jumping. Even if they only get a mild case, they can still infect someone who perhaps aren’t as ready to die as they are.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.