‘I’m going to Heaven, you stay here with Dad’: Italian mom sacrifices life for unborn baby

To those who dislike LifeSiteNews: Out of respect for this heroic young woman, can we please not squabble about the source, just this once? Thank you in advance for your kindness and respect.]

When Chiara Corbella learned she was pregnant with her third child, it was a great joy that ended in bittersweet tragedy for the young Italian mother, who died this month after postponing cancer treatment to save her cherished baby.

In a story that echoes that of Roman Catholic saint Gianna Molla, Chiara and her husband Enrico Petrillo embarked on a remarkable journey of faith in 2010 when they learned that they were pregnant with Francisco - and that Chiara had an aggressive form of cancer, reports the Catholic News Agency.

The news was especially poignant for the couple since both of Francisco’s elder siblings, Maria and David, had been lost shortly after birth. In fact, Chiara and Enrico had become popular pro-life speakers for their stories of their few treasured moments with each of their first two children before their brief lives came to an end.

This time, doctors said Francisco was healthy and developing normally. So when Chiara was advised to begin treatment immediately for her cancer, she declined, waiting for Francisco to be born in May of last year. The cancer progressed over the following year, depriving Chiara of sight in one eye before she finally succumbed on June 13, 2012.

“I am going to heaven to take care of Maria and David, you stay here with Dad. I will pray for you,” Chiara wrote to baby Francisco in a letter, one week before her death.

Full story, with family photos, is here: lifesitenews.com/news/im-going-to-heaven-you-stay-here-with-dad-italian-mom-sacrifices-life-for-u

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine. Et lux perpetua luceat eis. Fidelium animae, per misericordiam Dei, requiescant in pace. Amen.

:harp:

Gianna Molla will enjoy the company in heaven, no doubt.

As far as the source…I have no argument with it, but if I may suggest, you can generally find a better one that won’t elicit such hatred. For example, when Googling Chiara Corbella, we come up with 11,500 results…the vast majority of which are not LifeSite or LifeNews. For example, this Catholic News Agency result:

Hundreds of Italians gathered at the Church of St. Francisca Romana in Rome on June 16 for the funeral Mass of Chiara Corbella, a young Catholic woman who died after postponing her cancer treatments in order to protect her unborn child.

At 28 years of age, Chiara was happily married to Enrico Petrillo. They had already suffered the loss of two children in recent years who died from birth defects. The couple became popular speakers at pro-life events, in which they shared their testimony about the few minutes they were able to spend with their children, David and Maria, before they died.

In 2010, Chiara became pregnant for the third time, and according to doctors the child was developing normally. However, Chiara was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and was advised to begin receiving treatment that would have posed a risk to her pregnancy.

In general, to avoid the acrimony that comes from the pro-abortion crowd here on CAF, I will normally do a little research (maybe 5 minutes worth) and come up with a more acceptable source. You may wish to consider that strategy.

(Again, it’s not that I have any kind of an issue with LifeSite…but I know that a lot of folks do…and why assure a thread derailment?)

Wow. I can honestly say that I don’t know if I would have the courage to do that. God Bless her!

We have a pro-abortion crowd here? Please tell me they don consider themselves CAtholics

God Bess Chiara Corbella

Memory Eternal!

There are several Catholics who have defended the legal status of abortion here in the past, have been ambiguous about whether it is right or wrong or have in extreme cases defended it.

They DECLARE themselves Catholic on their descriptions. You have no idea whether they really ARE Catholics. I myself doubt that most of them are.

I don’t think so, but we definitely have an anti-lifesitenews crowd and I’m happy to be a member of that particular contingent. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.