'I’m just so scared for my city.' Thousands flee in largest evacuation in Alberta's history

msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/i%E2%80%99m-just-so-scared-for-my-city-thousands-flee-in-largest-evacuation-in-albertas-history/ar-BBsCban?li=AAggNb9&OCID=ansmsnnews11

:gopray2:

Thoughts and prayers are with you, and for the safety of all those in Alberta.

:frowning: Wow…the fire looks absolutely devastating. I can’t imagine how terrifying it would be to drive through conditions like this:

[ATTACH]23192[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23193[/ATTACH]

My prayers go out to all those in the Fort McMurray area. Lord Jesus, keep them all safe! Just as You rebuked the winds and raging waves of the lake, rebuke also the winds and flames of this inferno. Amen.

:gopray2:

They’re now reporting that there is no food left in the town. Gas is a scarce commodity as nearby communities’ supplies are running out because of purchases by those fleeing the inferno. There are cars littering the side of the highway as folks run out of gas. Not a pretty picture today and the weather is not helping: hot and dry.

Prayers sent up to my fellow Canadians and a dear friend and her family who lives there and has evacuated safely. Continued prayers for the safety of all.

Prayers to Our Lady of Good Help for her intercession and aid.

Lord, hear our prayer.

:crossrc:

Praying

Blessed Mother, please intercede for us.
Hold the sorrowful-
Mother and love the weary, abused, neglected
or forgotten among us-
Give your aid to all needing help or healing-
Assist those who are sick, in pain or suffering-
Be with those needing peace-
Console the lonely or brokenhearted-
Comfort the lost or hopeless-
Strengthen the fearful-
Guard the unborn-
Pray for those who are dying or who have died-
Soften those with hardened hearts-
Enlighten those who do not yet see truth-
Help us be brave enough to let our hurt and anger go-
Show us the way to do the right thing-
Protect those who are in danger, and
Guide us from every evil.
May all who keep your sacred commemoration
experience the might of your assistance.
Amen :gopray2:

Those are terrifying photos. I can’t imagine. And there’s really only one road into/out of Fort McMurray, right? That must make the evacuation terribly difficult. Prayers for all those affected!

Yes, Highway 63 is the only way in and out.

Here’s a news report on-site. She refers to a “community” but it’s simply one of the neighborhoods in that city.

facebook.com/CTVEdmonton/videos/1015276141840773/?fref=nf

What did the article mean when it used the phrase “oilsands city?” Does that mean there are oil fields burning?

No, it means this is the city that was built because of the Alberta oil sands/tar sands industry. The fire has not reached the oil sands area and the camps at the oil sands work sites are being used to house some of the evacuees.

alternativesjournal.ca/energy-and-resources/web-exclusive-it-tar-sands-or-oil-sands

Oh, I see. :slight_smile: Thanks. Also, that book Little Black Lies looks good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.