I’m so sick right now (Diocese settles abuse lawsuits )

What right does this bishop have to decide this? I’m sick of this Jackson Diocese! Where is the orthodoxy? Where is the leadership? Stewardship, where is that??? No money coming from parishes, charities, or foundations. O’ya then where is it coming from then, Bishop Latino?!?!?!?!? All you have accomplished is opening the door for more crack pots to sue the Church!!! I’m tired of my money being wasted! I’m not being fed here!! They’re protestantnising the masses, the churches, the religious ed, and a host of other programs! I wish there were a Eastern Rite Church (separate from this asinine diocese) around here. I’d be there now!

Here is what I’m railing about.

Diocese settles abuse lawsuits

I’ve read the documents on this law suit. I’m no lawyer, but even I could have shot holes through those claims!

What am I to do?? I’m so sick right now! If it weren’t for the knowledge of who started the Church I’d leave to be part of NO church.

When our bishops do things of which we do not approve we are to pray for them. Just think of being in his shoes on Judgment Day and feel sorry for him. :frowning:

As to your own spirituality, why not start a Catholic Bible study or prayer group in your home? Nothing formal–just a few interested others to share your faith with and pray with. :wink:

Huh. I read the article in your link. From your post, it sounds like there is a lot more going on in your diocese that you are upset with, not just the settlement. Correct?

[quote=Douay-Rheims] What am I to do?? I’m so sick right now! If it weren’t for the knowledge of who started the Church I’d leave to be part of NO church.
[/quote]

You are supposed to pray for your leaders, and FIGHT for your faith…that may mean you even have to fight your elders (respectfully of course). Too many people see this and just leave the church…I CHOOSE TO STAY AND FIGHT!

[quote=Lrning]Huh. I read the article in your link. From your post, it sounds like there is a lot more going on in your diocese that you are upset with, not just the settlement. Correct?
[/quote]

That is true. But, the settlement is the cherry that tops the sunday! :mad:

[quote=dhgray]You are supposed to pray for your leaders, and FIGHT for your faith…that may mean you even have to fight your elders (respectfully of course). Too many people see this and just leave the church…I CHOOSE TO STAY AND FIGHT!
[/quote]

Oh I’ll never leave the Church because it’s Christ’s. But, I’ve decided If I can’t get orthodoxy then this diocese can’t have anymore of my money (they arn’t good stewards of it anyway). I will find a way to send it straight to the Holy Father in Rome.

In Colorado, under current (February 2006) law, a parent whose child is sexually abused in a public school is barred from suing the school because of governmental immunity. Even if a public school waived its immunity, which is unlikely, the child would have only 180 days to provide formal notice of a claim against the school. And even then, the maximum damages the child could recover are only $150,000.

For the identical sexual abuse in a Catholic parish, there is no immunity, no notice requirement, no $150,000 damage cap, and a much longer statute of limitations. This is why the litigation industry – and that’s exactly what it has become; a very lucrative revenue-producing industry – targets private institutions and ignores the public sector. There’s no money in suing public schools.
From an Our Sunday Visitor interview with Archbishop Charles Chaput
Source:
osv.com/periodicals/show-article.asp?pid=1249

Duplicate thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=103678

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.