I may be biased but...

I have investigated the bible, several versions on the web, and have found no solid biblical evidence of sola scriptura or sola fide.I know we seem to go round in circles. I just cannot seem to get proof from anyone supporting this, other than anecdotes.

It is well that you have been investigating the Bible on these crucial topics.

Just a suggestion, take a look at the Roman Catechism which was published after the Council of Trent and the current Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Jurgens three volume set on the Early Church Fathers will be helpful too.

You know, Jesus never believed it either.

“You have heard it said, ‘An eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth’ [which, according to Sola Scriptura would be correct], but I say unto you…”

"Think not to ask “What shall we eat or drink or how shall we be clothed”–great concerns to the kosher-keeping Jews, which was derived from Sola Scriptura at the time!

The Apostles never believed in Sola Scriptura, either. Remember when certain people were saying that Gentiles had to be circumcised and keep Torah to be Christians? This was from Sola Scriptura–but what did the Apostles say in Acts 15?

It is very obvious that you don’t know what Sola Scriptura is.

Take care,
Jon

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Notice in Revelation 1 above John who bare witness to the identity of the Christ does not make mention of holy anything other than Jesus and the Word of God

Look further at these two qualifiers
Revelation 20:4
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

The them in Revelations is that those who hold true to two things.

1. Jesus
  2. The Word of God

are on the right track.

Since you believe that to be the case, please explain to us what sola sciptura is.

Jesus IS the word of God.
" In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. The word became flesh and dwelt among us "

For what reason? In the .0001% or less chance you might decide to agree with me that you don’t know what sola sciptura is? You already admit that you may be biased. I’m certain that you are.

Take care,
Jon

I understand that. But it says Jesus…and for the Word of God in revelation 20:4

I found this, answering my own question:

Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian

Here’s the link:

gotquestions.org/sola-scriptura.html

Since anyone who believes in the concept of S.S. cannot allow for contradiction in the bible
Regarding rev 20:4
Either

1. The word must refer to both Jesus and his spoken and recorded ( in writing ) words
    or
  2. Rev 20:4 must refer to something other than as listed above.
    I will let others speculate on what something other might be.

No takers yet?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.