I messed up in Confession

So I had to confess a sort of embarrassing thing that I was afraid to confess because I am only 15 and wasn’t sure how the priest would react. I had a list I made of my mortal sins I had done and there was like 3 things on it. I was so nervous I forgot to get it out and after I confessed the embarrassing sin I was still a little nervous and my thoughts were all over the place and I forgot to confess the other sins. Did this make my confession invalid?

No, but you must confess the other sins at the earliest possible opportunity.

I think this confession would be valid if because of your nervousness they just slipped your mind. I would ask forgiveness from God right now and then go to confession as soon as you can. I am a Eucharistic minister and my priest says a heartfelt Act of Contrition, or a quick prayer is a good thing to say before I serve at Mass to get right before Our Lord, just to ask forgiveness for the things that have happened during the week. That is why we say during Mass: “Lord I am not worthy to receive you, only say the word and I shall be healed”. I also take to heart the Our Father prayer especially the words: “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those…”. God knows what is in your heart!

No, your confession was not invalid if you truly forgot to confess sins. The only way your confession would be invalid in this case would be if you purposely failed to confess mortal sins or lied about them. Otherwise all your sins, both mortal and venial, that you committed prior to confession have been forgiven. It would be adviseable to mention any mortal sins you failed to confess at your next confession as a sign of contrition, but again, they have already been forgiven.

I would advise you to perhaps try to make a more thorough examination of conscience prior to making your next confession and hopefully that way you will have less difficulty remembering your sins. As far as getting nervous, most people get a little nervous in the confessional (particularly if they are new to the sacrament) but there’s really no need to be. Remember, the priest has heard it all and is not going to chase you out. He is acting as a representative of Christ and the Lord is Love and Mercy itself. Likewise you must always remember that anything you confess is completely secret between you and the priest and the priest can never mention anything anyone confesses to anyone.

A good analogy I’ve heard many times on this site and elsewhere has been the idea of going to see the doctor (because, let’s face it, Christ is the Divine Physician). Now if you have a medical problem, and it’s really embarassing, and you don’t let your doctor know about it when you see him how is the doctor supposed to heal you? Clearly you must move beyond your embarassment and allow the True Doctor to do His job because He knows you better than you know yourself and wants you to be healed.

Thanks everyone. I’ll go to confession as soon as I can.

At my last confession the priest told me that any sins you genuinely forget are forgiven as God is not trying to catch us out. Any mortal sins you forgot are forgiven.

even if I remembered right when I got out? Because I remember them now just not when I was in there!

Just remember not to take Communion until after you have made your next Confession…If you do then you will be knowingly committing another Mortal sin…If you don’t take the Body of Christ until a complete Confession it will show your humility and that you are truly sorry to God Our Father.

May God Bless You

But if you’re not 100% sure if you’re forgiven, then it won’t make it a mortal sin to receive the Eucharist will it?

Christ said to St. Faustina;

“My daughter, do not omit Holy Communion unless you know well that your fall was serious; apart from this, no doubt must stop you from uniting yourself with Me in the mystery of My love. Your minor faults will disappear in My love like a piece of straw thrown into a great furnace. Know that you grieve Me much when you fail to receive Me in Holy Communion.”

So you should only miss communion if your 100% sure?

I’m fairly sure you could still receive Communion, since the forgotten sins were forgiven. Going back to confession is an act of sorrow and repentance even though you’ve already been absolved.

You have been absolved of your sins. You have shown contrition by going to confession. If your conscience is weighing heavy mention what you forgot next time. You can still receive the Eucharist.

Read the Parable of the Prodigal Son. The father came running to welcome and embrace his son when he came back, barely giving him time to say he was sorry, let alone go imto any detailed recital of what he had done. Jesus is saying that God is like that, running to meet us when we turn back to Him. He is not a tyrant!

You have been absolved of your sins. Another time, to save this worry, get into the habit of finishing your confession with something like ’ That’s all I can remember, Father’.

Actually, Andrew can take Communion because his confession was valid and he was absolved of all his sins. His intention was to confess all his sins. He just forgot. That does not invalidate the confession or the absolution.

You should only abstain from taking communion if you have knowingly committed a mortal sin and have not made a valid confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.