I might miss Wednsday's Mass, is this a sin?

I know that this wednsday is a holy day of obligation for the assumption of Mary. I am enrolled in the confraternity of the brown scapular, and I pray the rosary every day, so I truly love Mary. Only problem is that my Pharmacy school orientation starts wednsday, and I will be in there all day. The only break I have is from 11:30 - 12:15, and the on-campus Catholic group is having Mass at 12:00. I am not sure I will be able to leave the Pharmacy school building, and I really don’t want to miss something important, however I want to be at Mass, even for 10 minutes. What advise could yall give me, and would it be a sin if I missed this Mass?

Go to the vigil Mass the night before and it suffices for your obligation to go to Mass.

Is there a Tuesday or Wednesday evening mass in your area? Check out masstimes.org

Oh yeah? Tuesday night would be good for me. Thank you, I didn’t know that the night before counts towards it (I am a pretty ignorant Catholic).

No, you’re not. You’re smart enough to ask questions and be concerned about keeping the days of obligation. :slight_smile:

My nephew is starting phamacy school at the Med Center in Omaha this week, too. I’ll keep both of you in my prayers.

… and, if you can’t attend the evening masses, you can ask your pastor for **Dispensation **to be excused from mass BEFORE hand. If granted, you can miss mass without sinning.

:thumbsup: My thoughts exactly. I only started keeping Holy Days of Obligation within the last year, and I have been a Catholic 17 years. :o I didn’t take it (or missing Mass on Sundays) as seriously as I should have.

Keep praying and studying pharmacistUH! :thumbsup:

Pax,
Robert

Thank you all for your prayers. This is a very exciting and semi-confusing time in my life. I have recently come back to the Church (this summer), and I now have to try to find the balance between the Church and everything else. To be honest though, I wouldn’t have it any other way:p .

Hope you found a vigil Mass! Not sure if you’re in Houston…my parish does have a Tuesday vigil but it’s Spanish. Still works even if you have no clue what’s going on. :slight_smile:

Yes, I am in Houston. To be honest, I’m from Spring so I don’t know of any places in Downtown. Anything is fine, I’ll just pray a rosary the whole time if I have to go to a spanish mass.

Edit: I just found a mass time that will work for me. Thank you everyone who replied to me.

Que? No comprende. :smiley:

I’ve attended Masses in German, Portuguese, Croatian, even Chinese.

You can usually follow along with the basics of what is happening, make the responses quietly to yourself in English if you know them, and read the readings beforehand so you know what they are :thumbsup:

Since you found a Mass time, you probably already located churches in downtown Houston. There are several - check the Houston Archdiocese page (has places and times). Annunciation is close to the ballpark, the Co-Cathedral is on the south side by 45. And the Holy Cross chapel on Main is pretty central - it has two daily masses around lunchtime and confession throughout the day.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.