I miss my mommy

My mom passed last Wednesday, the day after her 96th birthday. I had flown there for the weekend, and when I left Sunday I had to say goodbye to her, knowing it was the final goodbye. I think God granted her moments of lucidity during her last days, because she cried when I said goodbye. My consolation is knowing that she knew who I was. I think that was the hardest thing for me during all of this. Its been about 5 years since her mental decline, and the last year or so since she didn't recognize me when I'd visit. Her body is finally at peace, since her memories and everything that made her her was long gone. I miss my mommy.

My complete condolences. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now.

3 Immediate Hail Mary's for you.

Arlene,

It has been 3 years since my mom passed away at 86. It is very difficult to live without having our mom in the world with us. I was comforted with the knowledge that she had been a good and faithful woman and had received the Last Rites. I said a prayer for you and for your mother's soul, may she rest in peace.

Jennifer

[quote="Arlene, post:1, topic:219826"]
My mom passed last Wednesday, the day after her 96th birthday. I had flown there for the weekend, and when I left Sunday I had to say goodbye to her, knowing it was the final goodbye. I think God granted her moments of lucidity during her last days, because she cried when I said goodbye. My consolation is knowing that she knew who I was. I think that was the hardest thing for me during all of this. Its been about 5 years since her mental decline, and the last year or so since she didn't recognize me when I'd visit. Her body is finally at peace, since her memories and everything that made her her was long gone. I miss my mommy.

[/quote]

Hi, Arlene. My sympathy to you and your family. Mothers are so very special, there is no other relationship we share with humans that is like it. Be grateful your mom was coherent and ready to meet the Lord face to face. It is a blessing. My mother died almost three years ago at 67 of aggressive cancer, my family completely unprepared. Not a day goes by I do not miss her. But remember that just because you do not see her anymore doesn't mean she is not there. Our souls live on forever with Christ, and I take great consolation knowing she is there waiting for me. Dwell on her resting peace, pray for her. I often ask our Lord to hold her in his loving arms for me until I can see her again! And I've taken our Blessed Mother as my mom now, bringing all those problems and little things that daughters share to her to help me with. Pray to her for motherly consolation. Hope that helps. :)

I am very sorry for your loss of your mother.
I am so glad to hear that you had those final moments of connection with your dear mother at your last visit.

God bless you and your dear mother.:console:

[quote="Arlene, post:1, topic:219826"]

[/quote]

My sincere sympathy, Arlene. There's no one quite like a Mother in a daughter's life. It's been many years since I lost mine, and I still find myself saying out loud in privacy, "I want my Mommy" so often. Your Mom is now complete again and at peace.
It might help to write down your memories of those last times you saw her to refer back to in the future. It sounds like Our Dear Lord gave you her tears to show you she definitely knew who you were and how much you love her. She will be closer to you now more than ever, especially when you pray for her.
Please take care. Prayers are heading your way.

96th birthday?

Wow you are lucky to have a mom who lived so long.
Sorry about what you're going through. My grandmother died of alzeihmers (or however you spell it) last November so I know what you mean about not being able to be remembered, but she did love you. If she told you that, then she means it. You'll never get over her death, but over time, it will be easier to accept. Just remember shes in a great place now.
And I mean a GREAT place. Seriously shes partying with jesus now. :thumbsup:

I hope the best for you.

My grandmother passed away a few months ago. My first major loss in the family.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. May God grant you peace.

It’s been over a decade and I still miss mine. It does get easier with time…that saying is true but I think there’s always a part of us that’s “wants our mom” at some point. It’s just natural.

It had been over 2 years since my mom passed at 62 and I miss her everyday. :( She was my best friend, and I believe she is in Heaven. My prayers are with you and your family. I am having a total "I want my mommy" day as well. :hug1:

My mom passed away three years ago. I read something a couple of days ago that I thought was particularly beautiful. It was from a letter written by a Russian priest named Fr Makary Glukharev to a person who had just lost a loved one.

In Christ we live and move and have our being. Whether alive or dead, we are all in Him. It would be more true to say: We are all alive in Him, for in Him there is no death. Our God is not a God of the dead but of the living. He is your God, He is the God of her who has died. There is only one God, and in that one God you are both united. Only you cannot see each other for the time being. But this means that your future meeting will be all the more joyful; and then no one will take your joy from you. Yet even now you live together; all that has happened is that she has gone into another room and closed the door...Spiritual love is not conscious of visible separation.

My mom passed away when I was 23 (12 years ago this coming Saturday, she was 50) and I still miss her, especially at my recent wedding. All these years later it doesn't hurt the way it did immediately after she passed, but I am not sure that I will ever be "over it" as some would say.

I will say a prayer for you and your mom.

I'm praying for you ma'am.

Eternal rest grant unto her oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May her soul and the soul of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

( ps. my mommy died several years ago. I miss my mommy too. )

Arlene, I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom died in April so we're coming up on our first holiday season without her. I miss her terribly but I have faith she's in a much better place than I am.

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. :console:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.