I missed mass today...

Is it a sin if I miss it? I was coming back home after catching the World Series parade in Boston, and I’m not going to be able to make it to school mass this afternoon, so is it okay if I just watch a mass on TV or online?

this is a question for your pastor in confession. In general, we have a serious obligation to attend Mass. When we are ill or caring for the ill or infants, we are excused. Attending a parade does not sound like a grave reason to miss Mass. You should try to attend an evening Mass today. If you are unable, it sounds like poor planning on your part rather than a true necessity to miss Mass (unless there is more to the story you have not shared).

So, you should discuss it with your pastor in confession.

Watching TV Mass does not fulfill the obligation.

I agree with that.

I would have taken this to confession if I were you. If it was not sinful the priest will tell you.

Parishes in my area stream Masses online live and then archive for future use. I’ve watched Mass this way a couple of times over the last 3 or 4 months. They wouldn’t archive it if they didn’t want you to fulfill your Sunday obligation.

Hi garn9173,

I understand you’re just trying to provide some helpful advice, but watching a recorded mass or a live mass on TV does not fulfill our Sunday obligation.

However, there are times when one reasonably cannot attend mass and can be properly dispensed from the obligation. These are situations where a person may opt to stream a mass live or watch an archived mass, but it’s important to distinguish that a mass on TV does not fulfill the obligation. It is simply a way for someone who is already been dispensed to still try to keep the Lord’s Day holy in what way he can.

I hope that helps give some clarity!

TV and Radio Masses do NOT fulfill the Sunday obligation.
To fulfill the obligation you must be physically present at Mass on a Sunday or Saturday evening unless you have a good reason to miss Mass like being sick, having to care for someone, having to work. Attending parades does not fall into good reason category.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states the following:

1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors. (597)

If you have inadvertently missed Mass, then you have no sin. It is not necessary to confess it. This paragraph would make no sense to tell you that you have to confess something that is not a burden on your conscience.

This paragraph is very vague; you might have a “social” factor or an inordinate attachment that made it impossible for you to attend Mass.

You should recall the universal call to holiness that is addressed to each of us.

Do you mean that you watch the Mass at your TV and don’t participate in the Mass in the Church were Christ is present? **That **would be a sin that has to be confessed if you want to be in good standing with the Lord!

It’s a sin to miss Mass on purpose. JDGaney was late home after “catching the World Series parade in Boston”. I’m not sure if that counts as “not on purpose”. That’s why it would be wise if he consulted a priest about it or simply went to confession and told that he wanted to confess something he was not sure about if it was a sin.

Good post!

Traveling for a sporting event or parade is not a sufficient reason to miss Mass. Athletic events and celebrations surrounding them are nothing compared to the Mass. Sports are fine, but we must keep things in perspective. You’re not alone here- people in this country practically worship everything athletic- but this is an opportunity to recognize our need for God’s mercy. What will be a greater consolation to you when you are dying? The Masses you reverently heard, or the number of athletic events or celebrations you saw?

Be careful. The Catechism does not say that imputability and responsibility are nullified. It only says that imputability and responsibility CAN be diminished OR even nullified by the factors mentioned. It’s much too big of a leap to read that and then conclude that there is no sin.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

“Attending” Mass electronically does not count towards Sunday Obligation; it is provided for those who are unable to attend in person, as a way of devoting time to God, and even reflecting on the readings, which is an even more basic obligation of Catholics: to keep holy the Sabbath (for us, Sunday).

To the OP: if you realized that you wanted to do these things, perhaps you could have found an anticipated evening Mass, or find a church with a late evening Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.