I need a new prayer

I’ve managed to get into the habit of praying the Rosary daily!:yyeess: I really don’t have time to pray a full Rosary yet, but now that I pray the Rosary on my way to work in the morning, if I take my 30 min walk in the afternoon, I’d like to try something different. But I don’t know all of the various other prayer options out there. The Devine Mercy Chaplet is a possibility but I’d like to know of others if you have a favorite. Thanks!

You mean chaplets right?

Because I know of some very beautiful prayers, but I’m lost on the chaplets.

chap·letplay_w2(“C0244600”) (chhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifphttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gift)
n. **1. **A wreath or garland for the head.
**2. **Roman Catholic Church **a. **A rosary having beads for five decades of Hail Marys.
**b. **The prayers counted on such a rosary.

**3. **A string of beads.
**4. **Architecture A small molding carved to resemble a string of beads.

By this definition…:confused: But by general usage, yes.

How about the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours)?

A wonderful way to pray, but probably difficult to do while walking.

A 30-minute walk might be a perfect opportunity for mental prayer — meditation on Christ’s life, a heart-to-heart talk with God in your own words. A few things you might try, see which works best for you:
[LIST]
*]Pray the Rosary slowly, really meditating on the Mysteries. Rather than just announcing each Mystery and moving on to the Our Father and Hail Marys, really think about the Mystery, what is happening in the life of Jesus in that Mystery, what God is saying to you through that Mystery, how He wants you to respond, a resolution you can make based on your reflections, etc. You may find after a while that you only get to one or two Mysteries during your 30-minute walk, but that’s OK!
*]Before you leave for your walk, read a short passage from Scripture and reflect on that while you walk, talk to God about it, think about how He wants you to respond, etc. (as above).
*]Just begin your walk completely open to wherever the Holy Spirit wants to lead you in prayer. There may be things going on in your life where you need God’s inspiration. Or you may look around at nature and see evidence of God’s goodness, and just want to spend time in thanksgiving and praise.
*]Using the Our Father as your pattern, spend five minutes in spontaneous prayer in each of these areas:
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Praise God (“hallowed be Thy name”)
*]Your desire to conform your life to His will (“Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done”)
*]Petition for all your needs, the needs of your loved ones and the world (“Give us this day our daily bread”)
*]Sorrow for your own sins, and your desire to forgive others (“forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us”)
*]Prayer for protection from sin — for yourself, for others, for the world (“lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil”)
[/LIST]

n e w b e t x. :heart:
that’s so amazing, that you’ve gotten into the habit of praying the Rosary daily! i completely trust that it will bring you many blessings and graces. :slight_smile: i have begun to get into this habit as well, and hope and pray that it will strengthen me and bring me closer to our Mother and our Lord. :heart:

the following website has an enormous variety of beautiful prayers by category:
catholic.org/prayers/

God bless you, and enjoy your time with Him! :heart: :slight_smile:

love,
in the peace and love of Christ,
alison :heart:

Excellent suggestions. Excellent! Thank you. I’ve been listening to various talks from Fr. Atier, Peter Kreft, and others. One I especially like is one focused on the Lord’s Prayer. I may play that a few times and take you last suggestion. Excellent. Thank you.

Thank you so much for these references! The latter one will keep me busy for a very long time! Do you have some favorite chaplets?

Stations of the cross except sundays because we celebrate the resurrection that day. or just do it friday. you can replace the rosary with the stations on friday if you want.
Morning offering.
Angelus
Divine mercy chaplet
Prayer to your guardian angel.
St Michael prayer.
Particular and general examination of conscience in the evening too.
Just some suggestions.

God bless:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

I recommend the Chaplet of St. Michael. It looks really long, when you first read it. But once you’ve “got it down”… it takes no time at all, to pray this chaplet. And you receive the Protection of all of God’s Holy Angels. Awesome! :thumbsup: Hope you like it.

marysprayersrosaries.com/stmichael.asp

I second the recommendation of the Chaplet of St. Michael. . .

There are miracles surrounding it… because the angels love it to be said.

The novena of St. Michael is very good too. :slight_smile:

And also the 15 Prayers of St. Bridget, which a little booklet for the praying of is published by Tan. .

Miracles there too.

Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

Humility is one of my greatest, if not my greatest, struggle in the spiritual life so I love to say this prayer daily. :slight_smile:

you’re welcome! :slight_smile: :heart: i do have some favorites, and they are:

Chaplet of Conversion - - catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap16.htm

Chaplet of Divine Mercy - - catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap01.htm

Chaplet of Faith (indulgence!) - - catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets/chap03.htm

i hope and pray that you enjoy the resources i gave you. :slight_smile:

love,
in the peace and love of Christ,
alison :heart:

I like this too, except… “The desire to be loved” Isn’t that what we were made to do and be? I guess, depending on the type of love we are desiring, this could be right, but in general, doesn’t God desire to be loved back? I can see how most of the prayer is about asking for the ability to act unselfishly, to free ourselves from expectation for service to others. But to move away from the desire to be loved. Wow. I’m having trouble with that one. I can see doing wrong things in order to feel loved and how that could be a big problem. But to actually not be desiring of love… I don’t know what I’d do. Can you help explain this to me?

I can use the chaplet of Faith right away. Simple. Thanks. BTW, while I kinda understand indulgences, I don’t know that I would “bank” on them. I will consider saying this for the various fallen than I have known. I think that is how that works. You can say an indulgence for others?

I’m no expert. :frowning: God will always love us, but we maybe we ought to be more focused on the first two commandments than on seeking the love of others.

**Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. **
Love your neighbor as yourself

A desire to be loved has led me at least to do ungodly/degrading things in order to get people to love me. On of my greatest struggles is in wanting to be a “people-pleaser” even in situations where pleasing people seems to be also leading me away from Christ. :eek: If I had a choice, everyone would love me.

Yet, St. Maria Faustina in The Diary of St. Maria Faustina says that those who most resemble Christ in those life are those who die crucified, persecuted - which often means lack of love by the world. How many people loved Christ when he died? Most of his disciples abandoned him. One of them sold him out. The people that he had spent three years ministering to, preaching to, teaching, and feeding, chose Barabbas, a rebel, over him. :frowning: So, I think that to be freed of the desire to win everyone’s love may be of great aid in the path to following Christ. Even secular heroes such as Nelson Mandela, or Reverend Martin Luther King have often been assassinated - which shows that the people of their time did not love them like they should have. Thank God for Heaven! :slight_smile: :heart:

Furthermore, sometimes Christ has plans for us that are not immediately obvious as good things done sometimes for reasons above our understanding or to test us and our obedience so that we can merit Christ’s blessings, e.g. Abraham being told to sacrifice his son Issac or Mary, in a sense, also knowing that she would sacrifice her son Jesus from the Presentation (or before :eek: ) when she was told that “a sword would pierce both of their hearts.”

From the Diary of St. Maria Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

1. At the same time, I saw a certain person [Father Sopocko] and, in part, the condition of his soul and the ordeals God was sending him. His sufferings were of the mind and in a form so acute that I pitied him and said to the Lord, “why do you treat him like that?” And the Lord answered, For the sake of his triple crown. And the Lord also gave me to understand what unimaginable glory awaits the person who resembles the suffering Jesus here on earth. That person will resemble Jesus in His glory. The Heavenly Father will recognize and glorify our soul to the extent that He sees in us a resemblance to His Son. I understood that this assimilation into Jesus is granted to us while we are here on earth. I see pure and innocent souls upon whom God has exercised His justice; these souls are the victims who sustain the world and who fill up what is lacking in the Passion of Jesus. They are not many in number. I rejoice greatly that God has allowed me to know such souls.

1643 Listen, My daughter, although all the works that come into being by My will are exposed to great sufferings, consider whether any of them has been subject to greater difficulties than that work which is directly Mine- the work of Redemption. You should not worry too much about adversities. The world is not as powerful as it seems to be; its strength is strictly limited. Know, My daughter, that if your souls is filled with the fire of My pure love, then all difficulties dissipate like fog before the sun’s rays and dare not touch the soul. All adversaries are afraid to start a quarrel with such a soul, because they sense that it is stronger than the whole world…

She describes seeing Jesus standing before her, “stripped of His clothes, His body completely covered with wounds, His eyes flooded with tears and blood.” He tells her, “The bride must resemble her Betrothed.” Saint Faustina responds to this moment:

I understood these words to their very depth. There is no room for doubt here. My likeness to Jesus must be through suffering and humility, 268

marian.org/divinemercy/story.php?NID=3345

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:10-12

I will pray for you, as well as myself, that we will truly understand these words. It is also important to remember that all these prayers - except the ones composed directly by Christ or Mary and directly told for us to pray by them - are helps but not mandatory. :slight_smile:

Saint for Loneliness? (Unloved saints) forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=107592 St. Francis de Sales lived in an area that was rabidly anti-catholic, he would travel all alone at night, even in harsh weather, to avoid hostility. He would celebrate mass, even though no one attended.

One time St. Padre Pio was so lonely for friendship that he cried like a child. “Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord because even God needs our prayers.” - St. Padre Pio
padrepiodevotions.org/index.asp?pagename=wordsoffaith He said, “The Rosary is The WEAPON”, said as many as 90 rosaries a day in a special form for which he received ecclesiastical permission. Father Thomas Euteneur, President of Human Life International, cites this in The Rosary Batters the Gates of Hell hli.org/sl_2008-10-03.html I actually find the Rosary is the best prayer for me to retain my ultimate trust and comfort in Christ. :slight_smile:

Ask God to lead you, for He is the Master of prayer.

Maybe St. Teresa of Avila in The Way of Perfection in Chapter 6: Returns to the subject of perfect love, already begun might help! :slight_smile: :heart: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Excerpt:

It should be noted here that, when we desire anyone’s affection, we always seek it because of some interest, profit, or pleasure of our own. Those who are perfect, however, have trodden all these things beneath their feet- [and have despised] the blessings which may come to them in this world, and its pleasures and delights - in such a way that even if they wanted to, so to say, they could not love anything outside God, or unless it had to do with God. What profit then, can come to them from being loved themselves?

When this truth is put to them, they laugh at the distress which had been assailing them in the past as to whether their affection was being returned or no. Of course, however pure our affection may be, it is quite natural for us to wish it to be returned. But, when we come to evaluate the return of our affection, we realize that it is insubstantial, like a thing of straw, as light as air and easily carried away by the wind. For, however dearly we have been loved, what is there that remains to us? Such persons, then, except for the advantage that the affection may bring to their souls (because they realize that our nature is such that we soon tire of life without love), care nothing whether they are loved or not. Do you think that such persons will love none and delight in none save God? No, they will love others much more than they did, with a more genuine love, with greater passion and with a love which brings more profit; that, in a word, is what love really is. And such souls are always much fonder of giving than of receiving, even in their relations with the Creator Himself, This [holy affection], I say, merits the name of love, which name has been usurped from it by those other base affections.

catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection4.cfm#CHAPTER%206

May Christ reveal to you and me how and if he wants us to incorporate these words into our lives, if so how, and may he richly bless us and keep us close to him for eternity! :heart: :heart: :slight_smile: :smiley:

have you considered learning some prayers from the Catholic Book of Prayers

Wow, lots to think about, thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.