I need a quick reply. It's urgent.

My friend has invited me to play guitar at his church this Sunday for the Mass. I am supposed to respond to him within 4-5 hours today. My problem is that I have heard that the pope has banned guitars for Mass. Is that true? What exactly has he banned? Is there any official website where I can find the the pope’s exact statement?

I’ve never heard that before, I doubt it’s true.

Personally, I can’t stand guitars in Mass. :shrug:

I’ve never heard that before, I doubt it’s true.

Yes It’s wrong, I can’t find it, but I know it also condemns
Piano, Flute and other various distracting music types.

All I know is that in he Bible we can read about “strings and harps”

Maybe guitars can be likened to that

Cmon guys, I thought I would get some knowlegeable answers here. Time is running out… I think I’ll have to take the decision myself.

Yes, guitars can be likened to that. But I’m talking about the Mass. What is the church’s opinion on that? We are free to use guitars in other praise and worship services. I’ve done that before. But what about the Mass?

The Vatican adheres church organ masses, but I think guitar masses is not that destructive to doctrine. Here in the Philippines, all churches has guitar masses…

What’s important is, the music must lead people’s thoughts to God, not on any rock band or pop playlist.

Not so. BXVI issued a letter on sacred music indicating he wants to get back to more traditional instruments and music. But no binding document banning other instruments has been issued. There are many many churches that don’t own an organ and can’t afford one. Ultimately it has been left in the hands of bishops and pastors to try to keep music within the spirit of the Mass, and it is recognized that what is appropriate can vary drastically from culture to culture as well. It may or not remain so, but for now, it is at the bishop’s/pastor’s discretion.

It’s a musical instrument. It’s not going to turn you to the Dark Side.

Accept the invitation.

I would not play the guitar if I were you, guitar type music is not in keeping with the spirit of the liturgy or with Vatican II.

Here’s an old thread that I think is relevant:
The Saxophone and Pope Pius X ?

And here’s the passage on musical instruments in the liturgy in Pope St. Pius X’s Motu Proprio Inter Sollicitudines:

PART SIX: ORGAN AND INSTRUMENTS

1. **Although the music proper to the Church is purely vocal music, music with the accompaniment of the organ is also permitted. In some special cases, within due limits and with proper safeguards, other instruments may be allowed, but never without the special permission of the [bishop of the diocese], according to the requirements of the Caeremoniale Episcoporum [the Ceremonial for Bishops]. **
  1. Because singing should always have top priority, the organ or other instruments should merely sustain it and never oppress it.
  1. It is not permitted to have the singing preceded by long preludes or to interrupt it with intermezzo pieces.
  1. In preludes, interludes, and the like, the sound of the organ, as accompaniment for the singing, must not only be governed by the special nature of the instrument. It also must possess all the qualities proper to sacred music, as pointed out above.
  1. **It is strictly forbidden to have bands play in church. **Only in special cases with the consent of the [bishop of the diocese] will it be permissible to admit wind instruments, limited in number, judiciously used, and proportioned to the size of the place. In that case, the composition and accompaniment must be written in a serious and appropriate style; the composition and accompaniment must conform in all respects to that proper to the organ.
  1. In processions outside the church, the [bishop of the diocese] may give permission for a band, provided no profane pieces be executed. It would be desirable in such cases that the band confine itself to accompanying some spiritual canticle sung in Latin or in the vernacular by the singers and the pious associations which take part in the procession.

Bolding = mine

Guitars are the path to the Dark Side. Guitars lead to music. Music leads to passion. Passion leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate… leads to suffering…

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :smiley:

Wesley,

It’s up to the pastor at the parish to decide if you can play the guitar there. Obviously he has permitted it since you’re being invited.

On the other hand, we know that the pope doesn’t like the idea of using common pop-style music in church, which is what guitars usually are. But the pope isn’t in charge of that parish, and hasn’t ordered bishops to get rid of the guitars (yet).

Neil

I agree with the previous poster, it’s up to the parish priest to decide:)
At our parish we’ve had priests who encouraged anyone blessed with musical talent to use it for God in the mass. (Keeping with the spirit of the liturgy of course.) I would say, as long as you aren’t playing music to draw attention to yourself or your skills as a guitarist, but rather you play in reverence and in respect for our Lord, that it is perfectly acceptable:)

Sometimes, I accompany the organist with my violin during the mass, but only with appropriate music. I wouldn’t play Vivaldi’s concertos or anything lol… Just keep the mood reverential and talk to the parish priest:)

Saxaphones…the Pope banned saxaphones.:smiley:

He banned all instruments which aren’t organ.

nope. That would ban music in most of the world. He encouraged more traditional music - he did no banning.

prove your statement - provide a document, a quote and the context.

And perhaps bag pipes… :o

Inter Sollicitudines, Motu Proprio by HH Pope St. Pius X (which I posted before in #11)

My emphasis and comments.

PART SIX: ORGAN AND INSTRUMENTS

1. Although the music proper to the Church is purely vocal music, music with the accompaniment of the organ is also permitted. In some special cases, within due limits and with proper safeguards, other instruments may be allowed, but never without the special permission of the [bishop of the diocese], according to the requirements of the Cæremoniale Episcoporum [the Ceremonial for Bishops]. [Without the permission of the Bishop they are banned.]
  1. Because singing should always have top priority, the organ or other instruments should merely sustain it and never oppress it.
  1. It is not permitted to have the singing preceded by long preludes or to interrupt it with intermezzo pieces.
  1. In preludes, interludes, and the like, the sound of the organ, as accompaniment for the singing, must not only be governed by the special nature of the instrument. It also must possess all the qualities proper to sacred music, as pointed out above.
  1. It is strictly forbidden to have bands play in church. [Guitar music most often comes with a band.] Only in special cases with the consent of the [bishop of the diocese] will it be permissible to admit wind instruments, limited in number, judiciously used, and proportioned to the size of the place. In that case, the composition and accompaniment must be written in a serious and appropriate style; the composition and accompaniment must conform in all respects to that proper to the organ.
  1. In processions outside the church, the [bishop of the diocese] may give permission for a band, provided no profane pieces be executed. It would be desirable in such cases that the band confine itself to accompanying some spiritual canticle sung in Latin or in the vernacular by the singers and the pious associations which take part in the procession.

Too late, but thanks for replying anyway. I have already decided that I am going to play. The church over there allows guitars but I just wanted to make sure what the pope’s statement was.

So the pope didn’t ban guitars. Well, that’s great news for me!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.