I Need Advice About A Possible Vocation

I have felt the call to the priesthood or religious life for the last three years. When I first received the call, I did all in my power to ignore it and suppress it. However, it will not go away. The call to Holy Orders keeps coming back no matter how hard I try to get rid of it.

I have accepted the fact that God may be calling me to Holy Orders. However, I am a sinner. I am not virtuous by any standards. I really don't feel worthy of the priesthood, and I worry that I would be a terrible priest. This is one of the reasons I have suppressed the call.

Secondly, I am in the Merchant Navy. I am training to be a Deck Officer. I have signed a contract to stay in the Navy until my training is finished in two years. I am trying hard to stay motivated but it is very difficult. It all feels pointless to me. The only subject that interests me these days is theology.

What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

best advise i can think of is to talk to a Priest near you if possible or a vocations director

hope this helps

Also, as far as not feeling worthy to be a priest or being a sinner, don't let this discourage you. I was talking to a priest once who said that at his ordination one of the guys was having like a nervous breakdown and the Bishop came to him and said "What the heck is wrong with you?" and the soon-to-be priest said basically in tears, "I don't know if I can do this, I'm not worthy to even be a Priest," and the Bishop laughed and said, "None of us are, now get out there and join us!" and gave him a little "pat" on the back through the sacristy door. *Point of the story being, no one is "worthy" to be a priest, God gives us the grace to do it if it is our calling. * We are all sinners, even Priests. Whatever sins you cling to, assuming that you go to Reconciliation and firmly resolve to amend your life, will be forgiven. One thing that is important is believing in the Mercy and Power of Christ to forgive your sins, and once you accept that God has forgiven you, it becomes easier, with time of course, to forgive yourself. Also, definitely consult the Vocations Director of your Diocese, and Keep the Faith, we'll be praying for you.

Hope any of this was helpful in some small way.

God Bless,
Paul

[quote="Dempsey1919, post:1, topic:226783"]
I I have accepted the fact that God may be calling me to Holy Orders. However, I am a sinner. I am not virtuous by any standards. I really don't feel worthy of the priesthood, and I worry that I would be a terrible priest. This is one of the reasons I have suppressed the call.

[/quote]

there has never been a man born who was not a sinner and who was worthy to be a priest, including and especially the apostles. If he is indeed calling you he will give you the grace to turn away from sin and the sacrament gives you the charisms to carry out the promise of the vocation. As Jesus prepared the apostles and led them he will prepare you and lead you.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't know what Jesus wants me to do, but I'll pray more and I'm sure he'll let me know. Please pray for my discernment. I'll keep you in my prayers too.

C.M.B.
I can relate to this at some level. I've been discerning religious life for quite some time now and shortly after I started discerning I lost my faith for a few years and, though I was going through the motions, wasn't living a good life. This past spring Satan started reminding me of this time in my life and trying to make me feel bad about the thought of becoming His bride when I had done this stuff. I was on a retreat in May and went to confession and confessed what I had done because I felt terrible about it. Father looked me right in the eye and said "Shut up and let go of it! You messed up for three years, Peter denied Christ three times and still was the first pope and lead the young Church into being." That really helped me to let go.
If Peter can be called to be the first pope, anyone can be called to be a priest. No one is perfect it's only in weakness that He can be strong.

I want to encourage you to embrace your present vocation. It's wonderful that you are thinking about the priesthood but clearly God doesn't want you in seminary right now because you aren't there. He has you were you are for a reason and you need to embrace that. I understand the feeling that what you are doing is pointless but you have to simply believe that He has a reason for it. I will be keeping you in prayer!

JMJDTF+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria! Let's see what the good God wills

This would be my suggestion besides speaking to a priest.

Use your time in the Navy to study theology. There are a few programs that are distance learning. And maybe consider that the Good Lord reintroduced the idea to you now so you could consider being a chaplain. They are desperately needed..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.