I need an icebreaker for volunteers: ideas, please!

hello all,
please offer ideas! our parish catechists are volunteers of the highest order. each one is entirely orthodox, prayerful and faithful. several are excellent, natural catechists and the rest are really committed to improving methodology and classroom management. i'm so grateful for every single one of them. they are such a diverse group in every-day-life: some are professionals, professors, teachers, pharmacists, business owners, some are SAHParents, some are university students, one fellow is in discernment for the priesthood. what can i say-- they are amazing people who love the Faith and who love their students!!!!

i want to foster a deeper community amongst them (i direct the program with which they volunteer.) last year, i cooked them a super wonderful cuban meal and set pretty tables etc. but i noticed, that though they gathered and prayed together at the beginning of each class session for the whole school year, they still didnt know each other very well at all.

i vowed that this year, i would have some sort of ice breaker at the dinner i serve (a barbecue-- though those pining for the cuban meal may still prevail.) the problem is, the ice breakers i know are more geared toward youth group situations. they seem corney to try on these volunteers.

please help! what kinds of ice breakers would be fun and get people talking?

2 Truths and a Lie is a fun one.
Everyone has to think of two truths and one lie about themselves. Give everyone paper and about five minutes to think of their statements.
Then, a person gets up, reads their statements and then you say ‘Who thinks #1 is a lie?’ and have people raise their hands, and so on for each of the 3 statements and then the initial person tells which statement was a lie.
I’ve always had luck with that one.

One good one is like a treasure hunt (not sure what else to call it). You give everyone a list of questions and they have to find people to get the answers. For example:

Has three kids.
Got married in their 30s
Lived in this town all their life.
Can list all ten commandments.
Has never taught religious ed.
Has no middle name.
Can speak another language fluently
Can name the last 4 popes
Drives a Toyota

You ge the idea.

If you know the people well you can add questions that you know someone will be able to answer. The idea is to get people talking to each other to find the answers to the questions. Whoever has answers to the most questions wins.

Don't do this......as a volunteer who has been subjected to this, I hate it.

People will talk to each other. Give them social time before the meal and let them visit.

Those contrived games are not fun for a large portion of the population.

[quote="Catholic90, post:4, topic:242480"]
Don't do this......as a volunteer who has been subjected to this, I hate it.

People will talk to each other. Give them social time before the meal and let them visit.

Those contrived games are not fun for a large portion of the population.

[/quote]

I second this. I really can't stand icebreakers. It makes me less enthusiastic about whatever workshop or activity I'm involved in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.