I need an idea for a gift

I know that St. Valentine’s Day is a little more then a month away, but I thought I would get a good head start on my gift for my wife. I want to do something different this year instead of the traditional flowers and other Valentine gifts. This year will mark our 10th wedding anniversary. However, I am terrible at buying gifts. So I am asking if anyone might have any good suggestions of what I could give as a gift?

The best advice I can give is to buy something that means something to your wife. What means something to *me *doesn't matter!

After 10 years, do you not know what her favorite things are? What she likes to buy for herself or get as a gift? What her hobbies are? The foods she likes? The colors she likes? The types of things she collects or cherishes? It's the THOUGHT that counts. Be thoughtful. Look around you and notice the things that mean something to her.

I dont know if you have children or not. But if you do I’m sure she would enjoy a night out. Maybe take her to a play/musical/ballet/ concert and to dinner.
As a present you may want to look into Pandora braclets (I dont know how much money you are looking to spend) but where I live they are really popular. Basically, its a charm braclets and over time you just add more charms to it. This would be helpful in all the next holidays as well :slight_smile: (I got my mom a Belk Silverworks one, so its not as expensive as the pandora brand but it looks the same.)

if you buy jewelry she will think of you every time she puts it on!!! a lot depends on your budget??? I always felt it was better to buy a nice piece rather than a few less expensive pieces. some other ideas include:

gold chain, bracelet, nice rosary beads, religious medal and chain, birthstone ring, earrings. or go the more practical route and buy her a nice outfit, coat, etc.

good luck.

What does your wife like?

Some thoughts: a laptop, an e-book reader + ebooks, a romantic vacation, jewelry + perfume if your wife regularly wears it (don’t buy it if she only puts it on on special occasions), iphone, ipod + music, Wii + games

I agree with 1ke on the point of taking your wife’s views in consideration in terms of guessing what she’d like to get.

However, a gift doesn’t have to anticipate the wishes of the receiver, it can also be a sign on the part of the giver. Or something that stands for the both of you.

Or you can combine both factors. It’s very hard to make a guess anyway because for the one woman one will get a beautiful rosary, for the other woman one will get an exciting computer game, with a whole lot of safer choices in the middle. Personality has much to do there. Speaking of personalities, not all get along well with practical gifts (while some others prefer those)–this had better be verified in advance.

What made her the happiest during your 10 years of marriage? Something you did together, perhaps? A vacation, your kids, a project you worked on together... ? A gift that recalls what warms her heart about your marriage will really be moving for her.

Betsy

In the past, I've had to work on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, my birthday (which usually falls in the middle of graduation season) and my husband has surprised me with the following when I get home:

1) my least favorite chores are done
2) my favorite music is playing on the stereo
3) my favorite meal is on the grill/stove or in the oven
4) bubble bath is waiting
5) dinner conversation does NOT include bills, work, football scores, or household chores
6) if watching a movie or TV is in the plans (it's usually not), we BOTH watch something I like

If it sounds like I'm being selfish, believe me, I'm not! My husband knows I'll usually fix his and my son's favorite dinners, talk about their favorite topics and yield the TV to whatever they want to watch--which I usually don't mind. It's just nice, once in a while, to be "spoiled". I wouldn't want it everyday; three or four times a year is enough, then I like "spoiling" my boys the rest of the time!

Thanks for the ideas. I will get me thinking for the right gift.

JP

How about booking a couples retreat at a religious house/retreat house?

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:182561"]
The best advice I can give is to buy something that means something to your wife. What means something to *me *doesn't matter!

After 10 years, do you not know what her favorite things are? What she likes to buy for herself or get as a gift? What her hobbies are? The foods she likes? The colors she likes? The types of things she collects or cherishes? It's the THOUGHT that counts. Be thoughtful. Look around you and notice the things that mean something to her.

[/quote]

This is great advice. Just once I would love for dh to pick me out a gift, not just keep asking what I want. It would mean he actually pays attention and cares, but alas that will most likely never happen.

[quote="mommamia, post:11, topic:182561"]
This is great advice. Just once I would love for dh to pick me out a gift, not just keep asking what I want. It would mean he actually pays attention and cares, but alas that will most likely never happen.

[/quote]

The rare times my DH has actually gotten me a gift without specifically asking what I wanted, he totally blew me away! Like you said, it was like, "WOW! You WERE paying attention!"

I say a day at the spa. take the kids out to a ballgame or something and give her a certificate for a day at one of those spas...the hair..the facial..the nails..the pedicure...body massage...

ooOoo lawd have mercy... :)

Good advice, all.

Does she like to garden? If so, a lovely stone birdbath filled with flower bulbs to be planted would be nice.

Does she like art? A generous gift card to her favorite supply store...

Does she spend all her money on kids' clothes but never on herself... now is the time to rectify that! Gift card to a high-end store for her to spoil herself.

Gift card to a day spa. Moms seldom do that. Make her feel pampered.

Did you spend your honeymoon anywhere particularly interesting? Could you get a painting or a photo of that nicely framed to hang in your room as a reminder of the early days? (Around year 10 women get nostalgic sometimes and if she thinks you're remembering back at a special time it will make her happy.)

A diamond saying you'd do it all over again. (Trite, but effective.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.