I need encouragement to go to Confession!

As I now attempt to go to Confession. I feel this very bad presence just shouting things out of nowhere and I got to be honest one Time I literally got freaked out. I have been struggling with Blasphemous thoughts and temptations for months. Every time I turn Catholic Radio on my Mind goes nuts. Plus when I pray it is hard for me to pray with an open heart and listen to Jesus because of bad thoughts so horrid that I am shocked that I can think them. So it has drained me so much! Now an hour away I need encouragement to go tell and confess my sins.

In all kinds of temptations and difficulties we should be ready to call upon the Holy Names of Jesus and Maria. They are a powerful shield against the forces of evil, an instant reminder of the highest models of our life, and a consoling fountain of hope in this valley of tears. While being most easy to memorize one may recite them in preparation to any challenge including Confession. “Every one who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Rom. 10:13)

St. Bernard of Clairvaux (AD 1090-1153) on the Holy Name of Maria:

In dangers, in doubts, in difficulties, think of Mary, call upon Mary. Let not her name depart from your lips, never suffer it to leave your heart. And that you may more surely obtain the assistance of her prayer, neglect not to walk in her footsteps. With her for guide, you shall never go astray; while invoking her, you shall never lose heart; so long as she is in your mind, you are safe from deception; while she holds your hand, you cannot fall; under her protection you have nothing to fear; if she walks before you, you shall not grow weary; if she shows you favor, you shall reach the goal.

DO IT! *** NOW!*** :slight_smile:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ-2KcmV93lFDb-Y7mUifPIhKkGn4AS0VgitbHYW2CRDlyXHrb

… And feel*** like THIS!*** Later today. :thumbsup:

Let not your heart be troubled. :thumbsup:

I encourage going and admitting our sins directly to the Holy Spirit that lives in us.
Why go to anyone else. Makes no sense to me.

A temptation, no matter how violent or horrid is not a sin, not even a venial sin - unless we are doing something which might be causing them. Perhaps you need to examine your entertainment, reading, etc and see if there is something there which might be causing you trouble. Remember whatever you put in your mind will be there forever and if it is bad, Satan will be sure to remind you of it.

So examine yourself and also examine your spiritual life in general. If it isn’t all that it should be, perhaps that is where the problem is coming from.

Linus2nd

I’m not sure what the thoughts were, but I don’t think it’s necessary to go into detail on them. I think all you need to do is say…impure thoughts or impure desires, number of times, and that’s all for that.

I wish we had more priests who offered the choice of not going to face-to-face confession I think it’d make it easier for some to confess honestly.

Basis for at least some of our belief as to why we go to confession is as follows:

. “Jesus therefore said to them again, Peace be unto you: as the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit:** whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whose sins you retain, they are retained**” (John 20:21-23).

God gave us this sacrament, and we have kept it in faithfulness to Christ ever since.

The Lord Jesus Himself, Almighty, Eternal God become one of us, incarnate in our frail human flesh, gave the power to the Church to give out free absolution for any and all sin committed by any and all sorts of human beings. If you know this in your heart and willingly leave aside the means by which Christ’s Bride can cleanse your soul, then you will not be saved from your sins and you will die outside of God’s holy presence.

This is encouragement enough for me, a sinner… :o

Further, see Acts 19:18, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19, Matthew 3:6 where they confess outloud to others rather than just directly to God.

Remember that Confession is part of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Through proper celebration of the Sacrament we are returned to a state of grace. This gives us strength and aids us on our journey. I make the analogy of noting that when we are physically sick we go to the doctor. When we are in need of spiritual healing the greatest Healer is awaiting us, His healing is instantaneous, and His healing is free - Jesus has already paid the price for all.

DGB

You really need to experience the sacrament itself to see why we love to do it. It’s far more spiritually healing than just asking to the Holy Spirit through yourself for forgiveness. Besides, as others have mentioned above, it’s biblically accurate to do it to the successors of the Apostles, so why not? :thumbsup:

No, the church gave you that sacrament, not God.

No, the church gave you that sacrament, not God.

Hopefully it will convince you that we can find statements, indeed starting with Our Lord Himself, from the first century to the twelfth which testify about the use of auricular Confession. Can you find a corresponding list of sources saying the contrary?

The Catechism of Perseverance, Course Second, Chapter XI:

Q. Will you show that auricular confession dates
back to the apostles ?

A. It has been impiously asserted that confession
does not date further back than the thirteenth century.
But this is an error; we have witnesses for confession
from the thirteenth century up to the apostles. For
the twelfth we have St. Bernard; for the eleventh,
St. Peter Damian; for the tenth, Reginon, Abbot of
the diocess of Treves; for the ninth, the council of
Paris; for the eighth, St. Boniface, Archbishop of
Mayence, for the seventh, St. Gregory the Great; for
the sixth, St. Leo; for the fifth, St. Augustin; for the
fourth, St. Chrysostom; for the third, St. Basil; for
the second, Origen ; for the first, St. Clement, disciple of St. Peter
and among the apostles, we have St John, St. James and
St. Luke; and finally, our Lord Jesus Christ, who has said:
And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatsoever thou
shalt bind upon earth it shall be bound also in heaven;
and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be
loosed also in heaven.

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears! Turn, then, O most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. :crossrc:

Psalm 139: 1-12
The Inescapable God
**O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down,
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
O Lord, you know it completely.
You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is so high that I cannot attain it.

Where can I go from your spirit?
Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light around me become night,”
even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is as bright as the day,
for darkness is as light to you.**

My sides hurt now.

I did and it was awesome to get healed.

"Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
As I now attempt to go to Confession. I feel this very bad presence just shouting things out of nowhere and I got to be honest one Time I literally got freaked out. I have been struggling with Blasphemous thoughts and temptations for months. Every time I turn Catholic Radio on my Mind goes nuts. Plus when I pray it is hard for me to pray with an open heart and listen to Jesus because of bad thoughts so horrid that I am shocked that I can think them. So it has drained me so much! Now an hour away I need encouragement to go tell

Stephen
You will only get intellectual replies here from these intellectuals.
I would like to give you a spiritual reply and it is true.

the answer to your bad thoughts are because you are angry, there is someone you hate and you need to forgive them, for it is destroying your soul. The bad thoughts are coming from satan who thrives on hate.
cry out to God in simple language, not just some religious prayer that is rehearsed, but, from your soul straight to God. He doesn’t care how you say it if you are speaking from your soul.
I have gone through it and have overcome a mind filled with hate. My mind is quiet, no bad thoughts and God has healed my anger. Be sincere because we can’t fool God.
Louise
If you don’t sincerely forgive it will take over your mind and soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.