I need help in replying to my older sister regarding children of God

My fallen away, sort of new age, sister and I got into a discussion about theology today. She said that she believes we are all Gods. I asked her how she came to that conclusion and she said that Jesus said that we are all children of God so that means we are all Gods. I told her that is not what is meant by that. How should I explain this to her?

[quote="onmyknees, post:1, topic:223835"]
She said that she believes we are all Gods. I asked her how she came to that conclusion and she said that Jesus said that we are all children of God so that means we are all Gods. I told her that is not what is meant by that. How should I explain this to her?

[/quote]

First of all, ask her if she can control everything (the weather, the universe, the Stock Market) and if she can avoid ageing and death. If she has to say no to any of those, then she's not God, because He controls everything.

As for the Scripture verse, tell her that CONTEXT is everything (meaning not just the immediate paragraph, chapter and book, but also the whole Bible). The fact that we all die (which is of course the very reason Jesus died on the Cross and resurrected---to destroy the power of death over us) and that He had to come down to undo the Curse that caused death clearly proves we are not God. Then tell her to go read this essay about that verse.

This is addressed in mere Christianity by c s Lewis. We are creatures. We were created by God. God is perfect, we are not. We can sin, God does not sin. God is the supreme being. The angels are lesser beings. Satan wanted to be like God, and he tempts us in the same way. Jesus told us the opposite. He is God, as He says He is. We have free will, because God wanted us to have it. Those who choose to be like God rather than like children of the Father, are people like Hitler, etc. It just doesn’t work that way! We are living in a place, earth, that has this battle between good and bad because of the fallen angel, and our fall, but God’s creation is good. Being a good creation and being God are two different things, yet, we are above the animals. What we have of God in us, is how we choose to love as he did. It forms our souls in His likeness, to follow Jesus! He gave us life, and He continues to give us life, through Himself! The Eucharist.

Thanky you both for your replies. It really helped and I will tell her what you said. Wish you had been there when she said that.

Sharon Lee Giganti, a Catholic apologist, addressed this issue in detail on a Catholic Answers radio show (see archive, November 29, 2010). A very intelligent and Scripture-based refutation of the New Age belief that we are all divine beings.

Hlafidige, Okay, thanks for the info. I will look it up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.