I need help understanding the message given

apnews.myway.com//article/20050420/D89J8KH00.html

Could someone explain what is meant when he says his vision is to “unify all christians”; his “primary task” would be to reunify all christians with “concrete acts that enter souls and move consciences”(that sounds like a new council to me) He wants to continue open and sincere dialoque with other religions and would do everything in his powerto improve the ecumenical cause.

I’ve had a little bit of experience on a personal level with something similar to this. My husband is lutheran. I have subtly been trying to let him know that I would like our children to be raised Catholic, without causing any strife over it (because I think fighting about religion is wrong). What I learned is that there are a few important Catholic teachings that many, many lutherans ( and possibly other christians too) would not adhere to. I realize my husband is only one person, but I do think he tends to be pretty close in thinking with many other lutherans. How can we unify our religions, and beliefs without having to compromise them? Isn’t it better to show them the right path, and let them come to us?

Could someone explain how this is different than weltchthos (global ethic)? Shouldn’t we be trying to convert rathar than finding a common denominator?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Beverly

Believe me, the Pope understands the true meaning of ecumenism. He won’t let the Faith be watered down in any dialogue he participates in. What he means by unifying all Christians is to break down the barriers and remove the stumbling blocks that keep people from entering the Catholic Church. But he is also very wise in realizing that he can’t say that directly because the rest of the religions are not ready to accept the fullness of Truth yet.

Dr. Colossus,

Thank you for your help. Are you able to go into a little more detail as to what the barriers and stumbling blocks are? I think I have an idea, but I’m not for sure.

Thank you,
Beverly

[quote=beverly30] How can we unify our religions, and beliefs without having to compromise them? Isn’t it better to show them the right path, and let them come to us?

Could someone explain how this is different than weltchthos (global ethic)? Shouldn’t we be trying to convert rathar than finding a common denominator?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Beverly
[/quote]

[quote=beverly30]Dr. Colossus,

Thank you for your help. Are you able to go into a little more detail as to what the barriers and stumbling blocks are? I think I have an idea, but I’m not for sure.

Thank you,
Beverly
[/quote]

Well, obviously impediments to reconciliation with the Church will be different for each church or denomination. For example, with the Orthodox Churches, a great portion of what separates us is political rather than doctrinal. One could argue that many (if not all) of the substantial barriers between the two faiths have been dealt with by theologians, but cultural pressures have thus far prevented reunification.

Lutherans, and Protestants in general, have more theological differences. However, true and sincere ecumenism can and has made progress, especially with the Lutheran faith. The joint conference between the Lutheran community and the Catholic Church was able to, in fact, reach some common ground in their understanding of salvation. Most important was the definition of salvation by the Grace of God, which Catholics and the majority of Lutherans can agree with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.