I need help with the Pope's audience hall looking like a snake

I can’t say I much like his work either, he did a monument to Padre Pio which I googled which works better - but it is on a much smaller scale.

1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Titus 1:9

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

Colossians 4:5-6

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

1 Peter 3:15-17

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.

Etc.

1 Like

Numbers 21

7 Upon which they came to Moses, and said: We have sinned, because we have spoken against the Lord and thee: pray that he may take away these serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the Lord said to him: Make brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: whosoever being struck shall look on it, shall live.
9 Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.

Should we also be sure not to offend them with our statues and icons? What about veneration of Saints?

2 Likes

I don’t particularly like the sculpture either, although I have (unfortunately?) seen worse.

The funny thing is that I can’t recall seeing it. It just didn’t register, because the Pope was sitting just in front of it. :sweat_smile: (I can tell you what the Pope talked about, on the other hand: saint Joan of Arc.)

No, I don’t think we need to worry about good and holy practices and traditions.
Honestly just this hideous sculpture and hall are rather off-putting. Normal statues seen fine to me!

Believe me there’s no shortage of Catholics critiquing ugly modern architecture (although of course this building is not an actual church).

1 Like

This is the audience hall when it was fist opened - ignore the stupid comments under the video- as you can see the statue is not there as it wasn’t installed until 1977 and you will also note this is filmed at a rather different angle and looks rather different when people don’t go crazy with fish eye lens etc.

1 Like

There’s nothing snakey looking about it in this footage for sure.

I think I rather prefer the tapestry that was there before the sculpture. :slightly_smiling_face: It just looks more normal to have that curtain and tapestry close behind the pope.

Here’s an interesting article about St. Peter’s Oratory, one of the buildings that was razed to make room for the Audience Hall. It was a Knights of Columbus building that was built in 1924:

Forty years later, this playground was chosen to become the new location for St. Peter’s Oratory. In another expression of loyalty to the Holy See, the Knights of Columbus donated the original St. Peter’s Oratory location to allow for the construction of a new and much larger Audience Hall in 1965. This fulfilled the desire of Pope Paul VI for a new facility to receive the ever-increasing numbers of pilgrims.
[http://win.kofc.it/eng/italia_storia.asp]

Matthew 10:16
:dove::snake:

Numbers 21:9

I prefer the tapestry, this sculptor appears to have been popular for a time in Italy and that was some time ago now, the work looks more dated than some stuff that is centuries old and I’d agree it is not a good fit there on aesthetic grounds.

1 Like

Apparently the first artist to be considered to make the stained glass for the windows was Marc Chagall, but Nervi found him “too strong a personality” (and perhaps too expensive for the Holy See as well, says the biography of Nervi).

Let’s post a picture of what the hall actually looks like:

Rather less ominous. I don’t love the building mind you. I think it a poor design overall.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.