I need help you guys

look, this may not be a religious thing, and please dont point toward it as an answer. [dont worry im on that, its not that i dont care about god.].

its just that…well…for the past years of my life…whenever something was wrong…i would get lost in the magical world of harry potter. [please no anti magic replys. i have my own opinion on magic, and dont need persuading. not to worry though, i whole heartedly belive it is evil to hurt someone with it. but if it existed like in harry potter, i dont see what would be wrong with using it like he does. u know…*saving people lives, the whole world, get my drift? you know, throuout history its been ridiculed, even to the point of burning people who didnt actuall use it! and you know, put aside what the cathecism says. im not asking u to forget god, just put it aside, u dont go to hell for an opinion. say magic existed like in the worl of harry potter. just say it did. obviously there would be those who abuse it. what would u do? stop them, or let them kill everyone?] but now…im almost done with them. i just dont know what to do…harry…ron…hermione…ill never have them there to comfort me ever again. it feels like an old friend has died. so please…if u have any advise…any at all…please help me. i just dont want it all to go away…forever…into history…dead…gone…forgotten…dust in the wind…

get my drift? you know, throuout history its been ridiculed, even to the point of burning people who didnt actuall use it! and you know, put aside what the cathecism says. im not asking u to forget god, just put it aside, u dont go to hell for an opinion. say magic existed like in the worl of harry potter. just say it did. obviously there would be those who abuse it. what would u do? stop them, or let them kill everyone?] but now…im almost done with them. i just dont know what to do…harry…ron…hermione…ill never have them there to comfort me ever again. it feels like an old friend has died. so please…if u have any advise…any at all…please help me. i just dont want it all to go away…forever…into history…dead…gone…forgotten…dust in the wind…

Well, for me, we still have the movies… although I’ve thought of reading them again… it’s been so long… And also found a a different set of books I’ve become interested in reading… since they are about the Church, I’m not going to “recomend them to you” but only say that there are many other lines of books out there to read. My wife like mysteries, my kids like the “A Series of Unfortunate Events” series… and on and on… While I loved HP and it paralleled much of my adult life about the struggle of good and evil and the politics it creates, I can only say, there is more to the world than HP but the world is a better place because of HP.

While I do think you might be placing Harry Potter in an incorrect context, I will say that I too think they’re a great series and really loved them. I’m mostly done with them now, I think, but if you still need your HP-Fix, have you heard about fanfiction?

fanfiction.net/book/Harry_Potter/

It takes a lot of time to find something that’s actually decent, and be careful, some of it isn’t the type of material any of us should be reading, but every now and then you find a real gem, and it’s almost as good as reading another potter book.

In the world of HP, magic is a tool, a talent-based and arduously practiced skill. If it were that way in our world too, it would be no more immoral to learn it than it is to learn a martial art or to play a musical istrument.

It is not so in our world. I have an ex-witch friend and from what she says even ‘white’ magic is very sinister. Only God gives ‘free’ life power snd energy, b/c He owns it. Demons only redistribute it. When she was saving her dog’s life through magic, she knew she was taking someone else’s - possibly a child’s life. Very different from HP…

I know how you feel. It’s sad when a world ends. :wink:

Try reading other stuff? There are so many great books out there!

If you stop and think about it, all of it is an attempt to copy or mock the gifts and charisms of the Holy Spirit. If you want to get really excited, get into the Word of God. Now there is adventure!

Read some of the testimonies on here
ccc.garg.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=9

And I wouldn’t be surprised if, a few years down the road, Rowling gets a bit bored and decides to bring HP back…

i wood wurry less about majik and more about learning to rite an English sentence with correct spelling & punktuooashun.

The more you learn about your faith, your REAL faith: the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the less interest you will have in the fantasy world, even the fun fantasy world of HP.

But you sound like a teenager, so you have time to work through this. Just don’t wait forever.

Are you suggesting that faith is at odds with literature? Expression through fiction, stories, images… parables? :smiley:

There are many more great literary friends waiting for you. Try the world of “The Lord of the Rings” - or “Narnia”, try Asminov’s worlds or those created by Clifford D. Simak.

Visit your local library.

thanks! i toattaly agree. the HP books are liek a scenario where magic exists like that. but in this world the magic is so differnet that all most all of it comes down to this: it may help you, but harm someone else. very much unlike HP.

yah. that would be cool. i mean, im not done with harry potter yet, and dont know the ending. [please dont tell me], but maybe… a key character dies…who knows?:shrug:

Not at all but the OP has a long way to go before he or she is able to understand the difference.

Hi Col,
I feel much as you do about Harry Potter. It has helped me through some spiritual questions, and also helped me fight sin and temptation in my life.

I have come to believe the books are really, really, deep down good, because of my own experience, and the experience of other faithful Catholics whom I consulted with.

That’s why I ended up writing my book, The Mystery of Harry Potter: A Catholic Family Guide, which Our Sunday Visitor (a solid and faithful Catholic publisher) published this year. You can see info on it at www.osv.com/harrypotter

It is not wrong to have literature, even light literature to read besides or alongside the Bible and other scriptural or lives of the saints-type stories. We are commanded to rest each week, and if by out leisure reading, we also learn more about love, faith, courage, fighting sin and temptation by the example of others, even fictional others, that is a choice we have. Some people don’t like fiction. But we do, and so then we must make good choices in our fiction. That which brings us closer to God is a good choice. Harry Potter brings me closer to God.

I write my own stories… make up my own characters… create my own world and have these characters in it… they’ve grown as I have and I’ve changed the story quite frequently… But that’s me. :smiley:

jsut do a little resaerch and find another book series simular to HP. i dig how you feel sorta i used to read all the redwall books(infact any book about medievel rodent warriors)but the series kind of ended and i was still lookin for more. so maybe read other books by the same author.

Quid:
I just hear there is a new book in the Redwall series, the 19th I believe.

And this is the next series (Redwall) that I’m going to read to my daughter. I’ve heard they are very good.

I’m stunned you haven’t heard the ending. I thought everyone knew by now, since it’s been three months.
You’re lucky - I just accidentally found Phoenix Wright spoilers on the internet by Googling a character’s name because it’s catchy (it was in the text). I’ve been really looking forward to playing the series, so this makes me sad that I know something big. I try to avoid spoilers after having read the major spoilers for something else and then losing all interest.

A new Redwall? YAY!
I’m way too old for those, but I still read them.

The new Redwall is Eulalia, just out today in fact!
amazon.com/Eulalia-Redwall-Brian-Jacques/dp/0399242090/ref=pd_bbs_5/002-2057525-8103239?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191539852&sr=8-5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.