I need help!

Sorry about the horrible title, I couldn’t think of anything else.

I an a girl, and ever since I can remember, I have wished I were a boy. This is because boys can become priests. When I was really little, after coming home from Mass, I would act out the Consecration. I know that it’s wrong to want to be something I can’t be, but I don’t know what to do. This isn’t just a passing fancy, I can’t get the idea out of my head that if I were a boy, I could enter the Seminary. I can’t talk to any of my parish priests, because I’m too shy, and I can’t tell my mum, cause… I don’t know why, but I just think telling my mum would be a bad idea. I sometimes daydream that maybe I should have been a boy instead of a girl, which I know is also wrong, because I should be happy with the way God made me, but l still can’t get that idea out of my head. I know that God isn’t calling me to be a nun. I don’t know how I know, I just do. Please help.

The single greatest human being is a woman.:slight_smile:

I’ll keep you in my prayers. One thing you can do is pray in Adoration several days in a row if possible or once a week and ask God to point you where he wants you to be. Maybe you are called to be like St. Therese, a Carmalite nun who prays for priests. Just a thought…

God bless,

Jeff

You should be very careful about asking for advice here. Nobody knows you very well, and your post doesn’t really tell us much ( and it shouldn’t either ).

As a guy, I can’t relate to your desire to be a man, especially for the reason of becoming a priest.

I’ve thought for many years that I wanted to be a priest. I realized after all those years that I wouldn’t be suitable for being a priest, after all.

Just based on my own experience AND knowing that you will never be a priest, I suggest you do like I did, and just “move on.”

You can do a lot of good as a lay Catholic woman or as a consecrated sister in a religious order. There are women who have been declared Doctors of the Church, for the clear focus they had on developing their own spirituality and that of other people.

It isn’t that you should CHANGE and focus on your spirituality, you should ALREADY be focused on your spirituality – your spiritual relationship with God and with all people.

That is something that is more important than being a priest. (There ARE more important things than becoming a priest!) It’s most important for you to mature in every way – physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. I suggest you save yourself a lot of worry and second guessing and concentrate on the most important things.

It’s not just women who cannot become priests. It’s most of men who can’t become priests, either. Don’t deceive yourself into thinking that this is just some sexist conspiracy against you, to put this quite bluntly.

You ARE called. It’s called the Universal Call to Holiness, based on scripture. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Hi, I agree the priesthood is a great vocation, but God made you a girl and He has a plan for you. I think a big part of our holiness is putting away our own desires and choosing His plan and will above ours. I know that is very very (very!) difficult sometimes. But I promise His will for you is much better than anything any of us can come up with, and it is something that is perfect for you, but perhaps you haven’t discovered it yet. The thing is women can’t be priests because the priest acts “in persona Christi” in the Sacraments and Christ is a Man. Try to maybe get a spiritual director and really pray for God’s will for your life… and pray to our Blessed Mother… she was not a priest but look at her role in the Church :wink: maybe it could also help to read about the various female Saints in the Church and take inspiration from them. But remember your path is unique and is a gift from God…and He has a plan for you, but try to be open to it.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.