I Need Help....

I feel compelled to do something I never thought I’d do: consecrate myself to Jesus in Mary. At first, I tried to ignore it, but it feels like God is calling me to do this. How does one make this consecration?

If you are serious about it I came up with a little cheat sheet from the books I have read on it (below). However, I would strongly suggest and some confraternities require that you read St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary to help you understand everything you are doing. There is also a book called Preparation for Total Consecration according to Saint Louis Marie de Montfort. It helps guide you through the consecration.

First - Spend at least 12 days emptying yourself of the spirit of the world. Each day pray the Veni Creator, Ave Maris Stella, Magnificat, and the Glory Be.

Second - Spend 3 weeks being filled with Jesus through Our Lady.

• During the 1st week offer all prayers and spiritual exercises to God, asking for knowledge of yourself and contrition for your sins. Do everything in the spirit of humility. Meditate on three sentences of St. Bernard:
  1. Think of what you were, a rotting seed
  2. Think of what you are, a bit of decaying matter
  3. Think of what you will be, food of worms
    Then ask the Lord and the Holy Spirit to enlighten you. “Lord that I may see,” or “Lord that I may know myself,” or “Come Holy Spirit.”
    Recite every day the Litany of the Holy Spirit, the Litany of Loreto, and the Ave Maris Stella.
  • During the 2nd week endeavor in all prayers and tasks to know Our Lady. Ask this knowledge from the Holy Spirit, read and meditate upon what St. Louis de Montfort said about her. Recite every day the same as in the 1st week and also say a Rosary for the intention to know Our Lady and say the St. Louis-Marie prayer to Mary.

• Devote the 3rd week to the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Recite the prayer of St. Augustine, say many times, 100 times a day “Lord, that I may know Thee,” or “Lord, that I may see Who You Are!” Recite the same as the 2nd week and add the Litany of the Holy Name of Jesus, St Montfort’s prayer to Jesus and O Jesus living in Mary every day.

After three weeks go to Confession and Holy Communion with the intention of giving yourself to Jesus as His slave of love, through the hands of Mary. On the day of Consecration fast or give alms for the good of another, do some spiritual penance and approach consecration in a spirit of mortification. Pray the written out words of consecration and sign the paper.

Once you have consecrated yourself to Jesus through Mary, live that consecration. St. Louis-Marie de Montfort recommended the following:

Keep praying to develop a “great contempt” for the spirit of this world.

Maintain a special devotion to the Mystery of the Incarnation (e.g., through meditation; spiritual reading; focusing on Feasts centering around the Incarnation, such as the Annunciation and the Nativity, etc.)

Frequently recite the Ave, Rosary and the Magnificat

Recite, every day if it is not inconvenient, the “Little Crown of the Blessed Virgin” a series of Paters, Aves, and Glorias – one Ave for each star in the Virgin’s Crown. St. Louis has a special way of praying the Little Crown, which is recommended.

Do everything through, with, in and for Mary for the sake of Jesus, with the prayer, “I am all thine Immaculate One, with all that I have: in time and in eternity” in your heart and on your lips

Associate yourself with Mary in a special way before, during, and after Communion (see Supplement of the book, “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary”)

Wear a little iron chain (around the neck, arm, waist, or ankle) as an outward sign and reminder of holy slavery. This practice is optional, but very recommended by St. Louis. The appearance of this chain is not further specified.

Renew the consecration once a year on the same date chosen above, and by following the same 33-day period of exercises. If desired, also renew the consecration monthly with the prayer, “I am all thine and all I have is thine, O dear Jesus, through Mary, Thy holy Mother.”

James why don’t you start by doing 5 First Saturdays. Our Lady requested this at Fatima. This Saturday is a First Saturday, perfect time to start. Also much more modern and in a language easily understood. And given this is the 100th Anniversary of Fatima- perfect!

So what are First Saturdays about? Reparation to insults against Our Lady, and Prayer.

How do you do this?

1. Confession
  2. Communion(pref) during Mass
  3. One set of Rosary Mysteries
  4. 15 minutes spent with Our Lady thinking about her life with Jesus.
  5. Consecrating yourself to Our Lady by a prayer on the day. It means asking Our Lady to look out for you and guide you.
  6. Pray for Pope. Francis’s Intentions.

If you say the Rosary in a church, you can try for a Plenary Indulgence as well.

Repeat on the First Saturday of each month.

Our Lady ASKED US TO DO THIs at Fatima

Isn’t it better to perform works Our Lady herself requested? Then to follow another form?

I would recommend Fr Michael Gaitley’s 33 Days to Morning Glory book for preparing for Marian consecration. It’s a good distillation of the Marian teachings of Montfort, Maximilian Kolbe, John Paul II, and Mother Teresa. It’s very good for someone who is new to Marian consecration; I have a friend who had actually really struggled with even the idea of Marian consecration for many years. She just consecrated herself to Jesus through Mary a couple weeks ago using Fr Gaitley’s book, and said it was a tremendously helpful resource. I have used it myself to renew my consecration and have found the simplicity of it to make the process more meaningful.

If you PM me, I’d be happy to send you a copy of it.

-Fr ACEGC

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this for the benefit of not just the op, but others who come upon it.

Dear James,

How happy I am to read your request ! Your words made me think of St. Paul’s words: “the charity of Christ compels me”. You are wise not to ignore this. I thank God for th grace He’s given you; and the help He has already begun to give you through others.

Keep asking the Lord’s help to do His Will in this and especially as we prepare for the great Feast of Pentecost. Pray to our Lady also letting her know the desire of your heart, and she will intercede for you.

St. Louis De Montfort’s treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is the “gold standard” for me. Read it prayerfully and if you have questions, ask those of us who have read and consecrated ourselves already, but be patient also as God will be giving you grace to do that good which He has led you to seek: Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary.

De Montfort’s book has proved difficult for some and some have given up because they found a book written in the 1700’s too unfamiliar to modern readers . Some prefer the contemporary style of Father Gaitley’s book 33 Days to Morning Glory, but I prefer St. Louis de Montfort’s depth and breadth. I have two paperback versions; I have underlined one in may places. The other I have not underlined so I can let others borrow it.

I’ve also used the online version HERE

May the Lord complete the good work he has begun in you, dear James.

Good advice, dear sister.

I also prefer St. Louis’s masterpiece, though I think Fr. Gaitley’s book has some very helpful material.

The best edition of True Devotion to Mary I’ve found is the hardcover edition published by Catholic Way publishing company published Dec 10 2014. It’s available on amazon for about 18.00 which is worth it given that it will hold up much better than a paperback (my TAN copies have fallen apart).

May everyone find Jesus through Mary.

Dear James,

Just wondering how you are doing. Have you begun to read St. Louis de Montfort’s little treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary? St. JPII said that reading de Montfort’s book was a “turning point” in his young life. Servant of God Frank Duff wrote that he was not “impressed at first” but a good friend kept encouraging him to re-read it, and finally after about half a dozen times, Duff wrote that it was not a particular thing in the book that convinced him. It seems grace was given to know: what he read was true!

If you’d be helped by reading Servant of God, Frank Duff’s experience, he wrote an article, which you can read HERE

Perhaps you decided to pray the Act of Consecration to Jesus through Mary and then read the book. Actually, that is how it happened to me. I was only 15 years old but when the nun who introduced us to the Cosecration described it, I and a few others by God’s grace gave ourselves to Jesus through Mary praying the words of St. Louis de Montfort. I count it as one of the greatest graces of my life! I hope you will persevere in learning and in living your Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.