I need some advice... I am so frightened!

I have posted a few times before and some of you may have remembered me. Now I am in a rollercoaster again as far as my emotions are concerned. To be honest, for the past few days, all I can think of is fear of going to hell. There are actually a few times that I have felt that I am actually already in hell and I am already being punished by God for the sins I have committed in the past. I do suffer from a mental illness (bipolar disorder) and for me having this illness may have contributed to having these negative thoughts.

Can someone please offer me some advice on how I can overcome this fear that I am currently experiencing? I can’t seem to concentrate on anything because all I could think of is I might end up in hell or I am already in hell. I have gone to confession 2 months ago but I still don’t have a peace of mind. I don’t know how to cope with these negative feelings and I am afraid that it might affect my relationship with my husband and my three young children.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone. Thank you for listening.

IMMEDIATELY drop everything and go pray. Pray whatever prayers are your favorite, but go pray. Pray especially to St. Dymphna and also to St. Michael, who will help you in the midst of this attack of the devil.
I suffer from PTSD with reactive psychosis so I know where you are coming from.
I’ll also pray for you, right now!

God does not WANT to send you to Hell. He loves you. He wants to save you, comfort you, and bring you into eternal life. He will not let you “fall” or “slip” accidentally into Hell.

God honors your desire to be obedient, AND He understands and recognizes when your illness is controlling your thoughts, and He does not condemn you for that.

Ask Him to embrace you and protect you. Thank Him for the gifts of grace that He has given and is giving to you. Tell Him your fears, and tell Him that you are trusting Him.

When/if the negative thoughts return, tell them, firmly, that Jesus is your savior and He will never let anyone snatch you away from Him - He promised and He cannot lie.

I pray for you and your family, that you will be powerfully aware of the presence of the Loving God, and that He will send people into your life who are able to help you, medically and spiritually, to be free to fully experience His love.

Mslizzie, I’m so sorry to hear of your troubles.

With a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, you should probably consider this an exacerbation or flare-up of your disease and consult your psychiatrist promptly. It may be possible to get you some relief with something as simple as an adjustment of your medication.

When you get off the phone with the doctor’s office, by all means, go pray. And look up confession times in your parish so you can have some assistance from the grace of the sacrament.

God bless you!

Betsy

With three young children your life will be fairly busy, and I presume your husband understands your mental illness. You need someone you trust to talk to preferably someone who is prepared to listen and is not judgmental. These people are around and offloading your problems will help. Talk to someone you know in your parish social service network, and they should be able to direct you. All I know about mental illness is that it is still a mystery to the medical profession and it will be a slow process to find something that will work for you.
Hope I have been of some help.
God bless,
Tony from NZ.:thumbsup:

Wonderful post. :thumbsup:

Pray the chaplet of Divine Mercy: www.thedivinemercy.org

Also, as others have suggested, hopefully your doctor can assist you with medication (?).

Offering a prayer for you now. :crossrc: :hug1:

having a therapist who can forward info and communicate with the psychiatrist is also recommended. And stick with the therapist and keep your appointments. A psychiatrist may only see you 1x/month. but the therapist can see your ups and downs and hear your thoughts/feelings regularly 1x/week and help the psychiatrist with the choosing of the right meds and dosages. Atherapist that you are comfortable with could be very comforting. I have been dealing with a fmily member with multple problems for over 10 years.consistency is important in our household. Don’t keep changing doctors and therapists,because you always start over at square 1 that way. And pray and seek answers within the catholic faith. God Bless and hang in there. There’s a psychiatrist who is catholic named Fitzgibbons who does phone appointments. He has been talked about on Benedict Groeschlls program. He’s also on youtube. Maybe you could talk to him,for he is a catholic and could maybe make you comfortable with the afterlife stuff. I’ll see if I can find a link.maritalhealing.com/practice/staff/staffprofiles.php#fitzgibbons

This one has a phone # and he does phone appointments. You may have to ask for his practice in Comprehensive Counseling Service,or his private practice. He is a very prominent catholic psychiatrist.maritalhealing.com/

At the risk of sounding simplistic… I try to go to confession every week and I’m only succesful at going once or twice a month.

Confession is the inexhasutible source of renewable grace!

Confession is more effective than any exorcism!

Confession is your lifeline even if you suffer from bi-polar disorder or any other mental or psychological ailment!

Confession is God’s peace, mercy and forgiveness!

Confession is power against the evil one and all demons!

Two months ago is one month too many. It is only my suggestion and recommendation that you increase your frequency of confession.

Gospa Mir.

Hi msLizzie–Well, besides all the other advice you’ve been given, (prayer in all things, contacting your doctor to perhaps adjust yourr medication, confession, etc…) I can assure you this is the planet earth!!:smiley:

I can only think of two other things that I believe are important also, (in addition to all the advice above), tell your husband if you haven’t already.

Read the Psalms, I especially like Psalms 148 usccb.org/nab/bible/psalms/psalm148.htm

I also really like Daniel 3:51
usccb.org/nab/bible/daniel/daniel3.htm

Praise the Lord!!!:slight_smile:

Praying for you and your family and all your needs!!:signofcross:

Pray. Read Scripture. Confess. And receive the Eucharist. And most of all, don’t be afraid. Just trust in God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.