The “fact” is that most New Testament scholars and historians do accept
- the empty tomb,
- the post resurrection appearance claims and
- the changed behaviour of the disciples
as historically indisputable.
From Habermas’ extensive survey of 2000 articles and sources:
(7) Virtually no critical scholar questions that the disciples’ convictions regarding the risen Jesus caused their radical transformation, even being willing to die for their beliefs. Their change does not evidence the resurrection appearances per se, but it is a clear indication that the disciples at least thought that they had experienced the risen Jesus. Alternatives must account for this belief.
(8) In the study mentioned at the outset of this essay, I found that approximately 75% of the surveyed scholars accept one or more arguments for the historicity of the empty tomb. The remaining 25% accept one or more arguments against the early church’s knowledge of an empty tomb. If the majority is correct that Jesus’ burial tomb was later found empty, this perhaps adds some credibility to the disciples’ claim that they saw the risen Jesus. If the minority view is correct, this reason would of course not support Jesus’ appearances.
The survey revealed almost two dozen reasons supporting Jesus’ empty tomb. These include the potentially embarrassing but unanimous agreement in all four Gospels that women were the earliest witnesses, Jerusalem being the least-likely place for a resurrection proclamation, the attestation by multiple sources, the early pre-Pauline creed (1 Cor. 15:3-4) implying an empty tomb (cf. the possible early tradition in Acts 13:29-31, 36-37), along with the later report that the Jewish leaders conceded it (Matt. 28:11-15).
The minority position that accepted one or more reasons against the empty tomb cited a total of about a dozen opposing considerations. These tend to center on the lateness of the Gospel reports, Paul’s lack of discussion (and perhaps knowledge) of the empty tomb, and that the report served apologetic purposes in Christian preaching.
The empty tomb is not as widely held as are the other historical reasons for the disciples’ experiences, which are seldom disputed. Still, most critical scholars agree that Jesus’ tomb was found empty. James D.G. Dunn concludes: “I have to say quite forcefully: the probability is that the tomb was empty. As a matter of historical reconstruction, the weight of evidence points firmly to the conclusion. . . .” Potential alternative explanations are not feasible. Historian Michael Grant surprisingly states that “the historian . . . cannot justifiably deny the empty tomb" because normally applied historical criteria indicate that, "the evidence is firm and plausible enough to necessitate the conclusion that the tomb was indeed found empty.”
There is much more in Habermas’ article and his other works that show your opinions about what historians accept is not in keeping with what they actually do.
Habermas has done a great deal of work using what he calls a “minimal facts” approach relying only on the “facts” that are accepted by the vast majority of scholars as the grounding premises for his claims that derive from those accepted facts.