I need to go to Confession

There is confession every Saturday but I always find an excuse not to go. I haven’t gone in more than a year…I go to Mass every Sunday…but I haven’t received Holy Communion in about 2 years. I don’t pray and I am very scrupulous. I am lost.

Praying hard for you.

Go!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

I’ve said a prayer for you but I also have some advice: Just GO TO CONFESSION!!!

I was in a similiar situation many years ago. I had stopped going to chuch for several years. I realized what I was doing was wrong. I started going back to Mass every Sunday but knew that I could not take communion without going to Mass. This went on for several months until I realized that in not taking communion I was to able to fully participate in Mass. It was difficult for I was uncomfortable in confessing several years worth of sins to a priest. In the end my desire to be able to take communion was greater than any fears I had about going to confession.
What I would do if I was in your situation is to talk with you pastor or one of the priests of your parish. Let them know what is going on and be honest in explaining your discomfort in going to confession. This is what I did when I went to confession and I found the priest to be understanding and patoral in that he helped me to give a good and fairly complete confession so that I could fully participate in the Mass and take the Eucharist. Also, it is important to ask Jesus for help in this matter. Hope this help.

William Joseph

I hope that you end up going to Confession. It’s obvious that you do love Our Lord because you choose to obey His Church and not make sacrilegious comunions which is a great thing. I wish more people would follow your example in this, but nevertheless, God’s mercy awaits you and all us sinners in the confessional. Lord have mercy on us!

First, I would direct your attention to this:

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

Second, it’s very important that you find one spiritual director who can help you navigate this. Scrupulous consciences are not bound by certain obligations.

Just go. I had a friend who says “We act our way into right thinking; we don’t think our way into right action.”.

Also I will be praying for you.

You have made the first step by posting a thread about it on here which I am sure God has put into your mind!

You need to pray to God for guidance. He is waiting for you to ‘talk’ to him!

Confession is a wonderful sacrament. Once you have been you will feel so different afterwards.

Little questions in you mind are there because God wants you to be closer to him.

God bless you

It is so easy to talk ourselves out of confession. When the thoughts come to mind about doing something else or going somewhere else instead of confession, just let the thoughts happen and let them leave your mind. Just go! Push yourself past your comfort zone. I had to do this after not going to confession after many years. I felt SO much better after and now I go often.

I am keeping you in my prayers!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

P.S. Saying the rosary while you are waiting in church to confess helps a lot too :slight_smile: It gives you confidence

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession and was left forsaken. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, a sorrowful sinner. Despise not my words, O Mother of the Word, but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I read some of them before leaving…they gave me courage. I just got back from Mass. There was Confession before hand. I was in line…but I was too scared to go in. I really hate myself for not going. Seeing everyone walk out with a smile on their face…man, I should have gone. I’m scared that I’ll get yelled at or something. Whenever I’m waiting in line, I feel like I’m about to be shot. Time is flying by…but I just keep putting it off.

Have you read Seven Secrets of Confession by Vinny Flinn? I was afraid to go, too, but this book really helped me. They’re not really secrets, but stuff I knew all along presented in a different and accessible way. The Preface addresses fear of confession with a quote from St. Faustina, and it’s a good start.

I got my Kindle version for $8.47, and the paperback is $8.92. It’s worth it, and I say that as someone who very seldom buys books–I’m a librarian, so I can get almost anything for free–but this title I wanted for keeps.

Praying for you to find the strength to go to confession. Remember, God loves you and never leaves you. No matter what your sins are or the number. God in His infinite mercy & love always welcomes us back to Him. God bless.

Remember one thing. Almost everyone has or is feeling as you do. I have been petrified before going to Holy Communion! Embarrassed too with some of my sins!

The priest has heard it all before.

Remember, he is the voice of God. He is there to forgive you your sins. He is not there to yell at you!

You will feel like a ton has been lifted from you when you walk out of the confessional. It is such a fantasticly spiritual feeling!

GO FOR IT!

God is calling you to confession. :thumbsup:

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession and was left forsaken. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, a sorrowful sinner. Despise not my words, O Mother of the Word, but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen

You really need to make an appointment with a priest. If you don’t want to call, find their email and send a message. That’s what I did. I finally went after 24 years:shrug:long story…
It was kinda a disaster. And it lasted two days, not kidding. Turns out you can stump a priest…he needed to go for guidance and asked that I come back tomorrow. They really are human like us.
I have a pretty easy going attitude and I do look back and laugh about it. You can’t make up the stuff that happens to me.
I really regretted sending the email asking to meet for confession and I was extremely nervous waiting but after the whole thing was done I am happy I went, despite the whole fiasco.
Lastly, when we were done, he simply said to call and schedule another one in a few months (not years) and he didn’t seem to mind that I wasn’t coming at the scheduled time.
I wish you lived closer to me so I could give you the info on my church. I really like it, worts and all!

I was the same they I learnt that not only are your sins forgiven but they are replaced by the grace of god which makes us stronger god bless

If you are uncomfortable with confession at your parish, you could attend confession at another parish.

Praying that the Lord may strengthen you and grant you all necessary graces.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.