I need to know as much as I can about the Church of Christ

A family member who is elderly, and widowed was befriended by members of the COC.
I have done what I can to research what is available but would like to invite anyone that knows about this Christian affiliation to inform me about their beliefs, and why a baptism into their faith is required and what is involved in the baptism. This family member does not know the day of the week, let alone the month it is at any given time. I had arranged for a Catholic friend to take her to Mass, and she went for a few weeks. After Mass, a few weeks ago she met a woman (Catholic) married to a COC husband who talked her into going to a COC. She informs me that she is now baptised as a COC.
I need to know if she has commited herself to something that was done under duress. She is a heart patient and they visited her in the hospital while she was heavily dosed with medication. They baptised her there, in the hospital.
I find this to be a bit irregular. I will be meeting with a member of the COC who is a contact person for her new religion.
I will be meeting with them because she has given them all of her assets upon death.
She said it was God’s will that they get her husband’s estate she controls.
I say, fine. Give it to unicorns for all I care.
However, they only came to visit her after her husband’s death was published in the local paper. Detailing his accompishments.
Suddenly, she had COC at her door praying with her.
Now she is baptised.
If they do good things, I am okay with this.
I am simply worried that their friendship is based on a death publication.
Maybe I worry too much. What is the worst thing that could happen?

There is a Church of Christ denomination, which is divided into several branches. They are derived from the 19th century Protestant “Restoration Movement” (although they declare themselves to be “non-denominational” and simply restoring first-century biblical Christianity).

In my experience they have been quite level-headed and trustworthy and do not engage in pressure conversions, or exploitative conduct.

The label Church of Christ is also adopted by many small, unaffiliated groups.

So, I suggest you first of all determine which Church of Christ these people represent.

Church of Christ denominations derived from the Restoration Movement
Church of Christ - various uses.

Forget COC!
Immaculata to the rescue!
The real presence of Jesus is in the Holy Eucharist of the catholic Mass.
His Mother, Mary, takes control, and leads poor sinners to God.
Get this little book and read the Divine Mercy Chaplet to her a.s.a.p.
Ain’t kidding! Do it now! You want to see her in Heaven, don’t you?
‘My Ideal–Jesus Son of Mary’
Look it up. Bless your mess. This is a better way!

I think you need to contact a priest and a lawyer immediately.

The beliefs of this group are irrelevant.

This is ELDER ABUSE, and you need to go to the police or consult a lawyer. Taking advantage of an elderly drugged patient to change her will is a CRIME. You need to intervene before they take her money now and she’s left homeless and destitute. These are scammers.

Your county or state will have an office that can advise you. There are associations that can help. Have a look at these for an idea of what help you can get:

preventelderabuse.org/

ccerap.org/index.php/financial-exploitation This is for Colorado, but it’s an example.

preventelderabuse.org/elderabuse/fin_abuse.html

nbcnews.com/id/46574273/ns/business-your_retirement/t/scams-targeting-older-americans-enriching-con-artists/#.U0j96VXEJ8E

I agree with many of the posts that warn against exploitation. Find out from your relative what if anything was signed. If she is in dementia any will can certainly be challenged. I don’t make any suggestion that any religious group is involved in such a gross breach of trust, however being prudent in protecting your relative is an act of charity.

You mentioned she was baptized in the hospital and is a heart patient. Where in the hospital did the baptism take place

Members of the Church of Christ MUST be baptized by full immersion, I was wondering if they found a pool or large bathtub at the hospital. Ony baptism by immersion is accepted as valid.

You’re right. The new will can easily be throw out, since she was not in her right mind when she made it.

The OP should call the police and get a lawyer. Even if the OP doesn’t care about the money, a crime has been committed and these hucksters should not get away with it.

You’d be surprised how often this happens. Most judges have seen it many times, and will see it put right.

Paul

Well let’s see. The CofC (campbellites) thinks they are the only Christians to exist. They rebaptise every one who wants to join their denomination. Since they think they think they are the only Christians they recognize no one’s baptism but their own.

There is an exact order one has to go through to be baptized in this sect if anything is gotten out of order the baptism must be repeated. The order is this HEAR the preaching of the sect. BELIEVE. CONFESS faith in Christ. REPENT. Be baptized as a mature believer for the forgiveness of sins by total submersion. Then you are saved. If forgiveness of sins is not the purpose of baptism, the baptism does not count and must be repeated. Most CofC people would not recognize this woman’s baptism since she was not lucid.

The worst that could happen is the lady could die without Holy Communion, Anointing of the sick and confession. The Campellites state that communion is symbolic only, and of course they do not have anointing or confession.

I know this is true because I was raised and dunked in this sect myself. I am the only person in the family who has left. And I was kicked out of the family when I did leave.

There are several sects that use CofC as a name. The one I was in is a capella, split from the Christian Church Disciples of Christ. They do not call their preachers Reverend and have no clergy laity distinction. They have no seminaries.

Hope this helped!

Call the police.

Get a lawyer.

Talk to a Priest.

In that order.

=StrawberryJam;11889791]A family member who is elderly, and widowed was befriended by members of the COC.
I have done what I can to research what is available but would like to invite anyone that knows about this Christian affiliation to inform me about their beliefs, and why a baptism into their faith is required and what is involved in the baptism. This family member does not know the day of the week, let alone the month it is at any given time. I had arranged for a Catholic friend to take her to Mass, and she went for a few weeks. After Mass, a few weeks ago she met a woman (Catholic) married to a COC husband who talked her into going to a COC. She informs me that she is now baptised as a COC.
I need to know if she has commited herself to something that was done under duress. She is a heart patient and they visited her in the hospital while she was heavily dosed with medication. They baptised her there, in the hospital.
I find this to be a bit irregular. I will be meeting with a member of the COC who is a contact person for her new religion.
I will be meeting with them because she has given them all of her assets upon death.
She said it was God’s will that they get her husband’s estate she controls.
I say, fine. Give it to unicorns for all I care.
However, they only came to visit her after her husband’s death was published in the local paper. Detailing his accompishments.
Suddenly, she had COC at her door praying with her.
Now she is baptised.
If they do good things, I am okay with this.
I am simply worried that their friendship is based on a death publication.
Maybe I worry too much. What is the worst thing that could happen?

Also called Mormons and Ladder Day Saints

Its a cult, not even a Christian faith.

If you’d care to share an e-mail address I can send MUCH documented evidence of this.

Send me a private message. FYI your “PM” is FULL and does not accpt further messages. You MAY wnat to clear up some space in it?

Just remind me what your looking for.

God Bless you and THANKS for asking

Patrick PJM} on CAF

Er, the Church of Christ and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) are two different denominations. There is no affiliation between COC and the LDS Church.

OP, I agree. This is not about whether the sect is “good” or not, its about your relative being abused. Please contact an attorney and the authorities asap.
[/quote]

Contact a lawyer, if she signed over her assets under duress a family member needs to become a legal guardian immediately. The rest can wait, regardless of the denomination, no one should be taking advantage of someone.

Some people who begin studying different faith traditions can get the Church of Christ mixed up with the LDS…there is a Latter Day Saint off shoot called Church of Christ, Temple Lot. While both the LDS and CoC have their beginnings within the " Restoration Movement", that began and gained traction in the 19th century. The SDA. LDS. JW’s. Utopia Societies, all claiming to be the “Restoration” of primitive Christianity…LDS restored by divine revelation SDA was founded as the “Remnant” church, the revelations of Ellen White were instrumental in the movements formation. JW’ through the teachings Tazz Russell.

Church of Christ are not a cult. They are " Trinidadian " they are just conservative, some even ban instrumental music in their meetings for worship. Baptismal regeneration is what set them apart from other “Protestants”.

There is the United Church of Christ that’s been around for a long time, not a cult.

There is the Church of Christ and I’m not sure how long they’ve been around, but they aren’t new. The COC is not a cult. Their ministers are graduates of bible colleges. I was once engagegd to a COC minister and he got his education at CBC (Cincinnati Bible College)
I believe there is a bible college in Missouri that many of their ministers go to. (Ozark Bible College I think)
They baptize by immersion. They think they are the only ones going to heaven and everyone else is going to hell.

Then of course, there are small churches that take all kinds of names and some are good and some are not good.

If this were my relative I would be getting her evaluated as to her cognitive abilities and status so that you can protect her and her estate. But you need to do it fairly quickly so that they can’t say that she was fine when she signed her estate away and is just now declining. I’d start with the doctor who’s been treating her for some time.

I come from a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) background. We are historically related to the Church[es] of Christ, although we are not the same thing and there are many significant doctrinal differences (for example, Disciples do not believe that other Christians are false believers or excluded from heaven, additionally some if not all CoCs reject the use of musical instruments in worship whereas Disciples do not, my church has a lovely pipe organ and piano). In the CC (DoC) and presumably the CoC baptism is performed by immersion in water (Disciples recognize other modes of baptism used in other denominations as valid, but use immersion themselves. CoC may not recognize non-CoC baptism or non-immersion baptism as being valid), so I’m a little unsure how the baptism could take place in the hospital. I’d follow the advice of other posters on this thread about contacting a lawyer, priest, and possibly police. Proselytizing a senior who does not have the capacity to consent due to health or disability is dubious and seems morally wrong unless done in accordance with the previously expressed wishes of the individual when they were of sound mind and body. It may also be illegal. If these folks are from an area CoC church it might be worthwhile to contact the pastor or elders to find out what happened exactly, and make sure they know members of their congregation are out doing this sort of thing. Your relative may not be the only victim.

Please be careful when linking the various branches of the Stone-Campbell movement. There are three main branches: The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the non-instrumental Churches of Christ, and the Church of Christ; not to be confused with the United Church of Christ which has its roots in the reformed movement. I am personally offended that your refer to the ordinance of Baptism as being dunked and that you refer to the churches as sects. If you study carefully you will find that the Orthodox Church also baptizes by immersion (the proper term) and that in their own way to a limited extent, so do the various branches of the catholic faith. I believe for a Baptism to be considered valid by the Roman Catholic Church it must have intent, form, be done by invoking the Most Holy Trinity, and that the water must flow over the crown of the head as opposed to “sprinkling” of the water. You are also incorrect in stating that we do not recognize other churches Baptism. While we believe that immersion is the mode employed in biblical times and is the only mode by which we administer the Ordinance we accept any mode when transferring membership as long as it is Trinitarian and water flows over the crown of the head. If your church accepts the Baptism of other Christian Churches to be valid you might want to be a bit more respectful. Secondly I doubt that the OP is dealing with any of the mainline branches of the Stone-Campbell movement but an independent church using the name Church of Christ. While in the Disciples of Christ we do refer to our ministers as Reverend we also often refer to the them as Pastor. You are also incorrect that we do not have an ordained clergy and if you check it out you will find we have numerous seminaries and seminary houses at major universities. We also maintain a number of very fine and well known universities. You have also stated that that those in the Stone-Campbell movement think they are the only Christian which is absolutely UNTRUE. In fact Alexander Campbell believed that “we are not the only Christians but Christians only”. There is also a GREAT emphasis on Christian unity which is why he did not accept creeds when used as a test of faith and a means to block church membership and reception of the Lord’s Supper. I realize this is off the original topic but misinformation and respect should be maintained at all times.

This is ridiculous. Someone is asking what they believe because they need information about that religion. Go up and read the directions about how to have an interfaith discussion. Thank you.

Sorry. I thought I made it clear that I was in the A CAPELLA part of the so called “churches of Christ”, and what I said is very true for that sect. It is big in Tennesee, Kentucky the rest of the south and over the borders of New Mexico. As I said they allow no musical instruments is worship and have no ordination or What they do have are called Bible colleges where they teach men only to preach. But those colleges are not required. If one wants to preach they only need to find Elders who will hire them.
They have no holidays at all because they are not commanded in the bible. In fact nothing is allowed in their churches unless it is commanded in the bible or can be
inferred from the bible. They practically worship the bible as a paper and ink idol. I know the Catholic church recognizes submersion as a valid form of baptism. When I converted the CC did not rebaptise me. When my yia yia wanted to join the cofC she had to be baptized anew because the cofC would not accept her submersion in a Baptist church.

What I think is that you are in a different body going by the same name. Probably Churches of Christ and independent Christian churches. As I said there are a number of groups that use the exact same name but have different beliefs.

If you are interested in in the difference between submersion and immersion (they are different) look in the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. That is where I got the word.

International Pentecostal Church of Christ
Pentecostal Church of Christ
International Church of Christ
Boston Church of Christ
Reorganized LDS forgot name change.

These above groups have been rumored in the past of doing the type of thing you describe. Just google each group to learn more about them.

Contact a lawyer first, then a priest and then “cult experts” to find watch groups.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.