I need your help

I used to be a devout, devout Catholic and defender of faith, but I live in an enviroment filled with liberals and atheists, and somehow I have lost all faith because of their influence. I have just come back from seeing the pope last week (I went with my youth group, and I got to kneel right next to him) and I thought it would help my faith, but it didn’t. I would appreciate if someone could help me in my time of need.

I think that you need to remember that the presences of Our Lord cannot be with us at all times. Even the great Saints felt at one time in there spiritual journey that they where missing our Lord’s presences among them. But we must remember that he knows all and only wish for us to use his graces to always seek him. We must remember that his graces are ours of our own free will. So my advice to you is us them now that you still have time. Remember seek and you shall recieve. Good Luck!:slight_smile:

The best help I can give is to pray for you, so I’ll do that. :gopray2:

You mention that you feel you are losing your faith by being with certain people. Of course there is the obvious; avoid them as much as possible if they are hurting you. But you know that. How do you think they are a source of the problem? Are they encouraging you to sin, or are you having trouble with picking up certain attitudes or ideas?? Each might have a different remedy.

Yo X,
More info if you dont mind, the more you tell us the better we can help. There are a lot of people on CA that help me everyday!

I have been in situations alot where I am surrounded by liberals and the like, but sticking it out will make you stronger. Also one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people that you might see in those crowds dont do anything because they are scared. I live in Portland, Or, and there are a lot of nuts here, but I have come to learn that most of the decent people keep quiet what they really feel and it takes people like you to stand out and show them there are good people in the area, and in turn they will be comforted and come out as well.

I’m sure it makes God very happy that you’ve come onto this board and have been honest. It shows that you *desire *faith but are plagued by involuntary doubt. This was an act of the will on your part and our Lord will not forget it. I will pray for you, and you ought to pray for yourself. Even though you do not believe in Mary anymore pray to her to intercede for you. You have nothing to lose. Remember that your ability to believe depends on God’s grace. It is freely given, and when it comes do not reject it. Explore and delve into it. It’s quite possible that you can become an even stronger Catholic now that you’ve experienced the other side.

Jamie

[quote=ximan]I used to be a devout, devout Catholic and defender of faith, but I live in an enviroment filled with liberals and atheists, and somehow I have lost all faith because of their influence. I have just come back from seeing the pope last week (I went with my youth group, and I got to kneel right next to him) and I thought it would help my faith, but it didn’t. I would appreciate if someone could help me in my time of need.
[/quote]

Wow, in a way I am jealous. First because you got to be so close to the Pope. Second because I believe that God will not give us more than we can handle, and He has chosen to realy test you - for a reason. God’s “influence” will always be strongest - so welcome it and be the example to those around you. That may be His plan.

ximan

You were indeed very fortunate to have been able to kneel right next to the Pope. Very few Catholics (out of more than a billion) are given that extraordinarily blessed opportunity, for most simply pass out their entire lives seeing him only in television footages and newspaper photos.

Perhaps we can help you better if you can be more specific about the reasons why you “lost” your faith while living in a sea of liberals and atheists. What issues specifically weakened your faith?

Gerry :slight_smile:

You were indeed very fortunate to have been able to kneel right next to the Pope. Very few Catholics (out of more than a billion) are given that extraordinarily blessed opportunity, for most simply pass out their entire lives seeing him only in television footages and newspaper photos.

Perhaps we can help you better if you can be more specific about the reasons why you “lost” your faith while living in a sea of liberals and atheists. What issues specifically weakened your faith?

Gerry :slight_smile:

Bless You And Christ Be With You :slight_smile:

Try Praying to our Blessed Mother.
Pray the Rosary.
She will not fail you!
:thumbsup:

[quote=ximan]I used to be a devout, devout Catholic and defender of faith, but I live in an enviroment filled with liberals and atheists, and somehow I have lost all faith because of their influence. I have just come back from seeing the pope last week (I went with my youth group, and I got to kneel right next to him) and I thought it would help my faith, but it didn’t. I would appreciate if someone could help me in my time of need.
[/quote]

[quote=ximan]I used to be a devout, devout Catholic and defender of faith, but I live in an enviroment filled with liberals and atheists, and somehow I have lost all faith because of their influence.
[/quote]

What was your faith based on to begin with?

Scullinius

You faith cannot be emotionally based. Feeling something is not a determinant. We choose to know, love, and serve God. We do this only by the power of God’s grace.

Put no emphasis on how you feel. Instead, put “everything” that you are in the hands of God. Open every door to your heart, mind, and will to the grace of God. Look to God and depend only on His divine mercy and love. Pray frequently during the day and then at your first opportunity go to confession. Make the “life story” type of confession where you tell “everything.” Praise God for everything and focus on removing all personal pride. God will hear your prayers and your faith will be renewed. Much of this will take time, but God loves you and He will not only hear you, but He will heal your faith.

[quote=ximan]I used to be a devout, devout Catholic and defender of faith, but I live in an enviroment filled with liberals and atheists, and somehow I have lost all faith because of their influence.
[/quote]

Defending the faith can be hard work, and it requires frequent refreshment. Talking about God is very different from talking to God.
How is your prayer life?

[/quote]

Try reading, “Dark Night of the Soul”, by St John of the Cross. This may help you. God Bless you!

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_12v.gif%between%

[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel as it’s happened to me a few times. Sometimes you are tempted to abandon all hope and think that God is just a myth and all that. I have also had issues with expecting something to be a great spiritually renewing experience (going to Rome, seeing the Pope) only to have it not seem to happen.

Here’s what I would recommend:

1. Try to make a habit of going to daily mass.
  2. Remember, our faith is not based on FEELING. If you aren’t feeling particularly loved by God, it doesn’t mean God isn’t showering you with Grace.
  3. Spend 30mins to 1hr per day in SILENT prayer, in a quiet part of your home or in an adoration chapel. You are more likely to hear God in quiet and silence than in the hustle-bustle of everyday life.
  4. It sounds like you are a student or not far removed from being a student. It is helpful to have a good circle of friends who share your faith.
  5. Everyone, even the great saints goes through periods of doubt. Examples include St. Therese the Little Flower, Mother Theresa (who had 45+ years of dryness) and St. John of the Cross. Would second the notion to read *Dark Night of the Soul. *Be careful, it is very deep.
  6. Reread the gospels. Remind yourself that Jesus really lived, and yes he did all the miracles described in the Gospels. No satisfactory atheistic explanation for the resurrection has been found or even makes any sense. The apostles were openly described as weak, faltering, and stupid men prior to the crucifixion. Afterwards, they willingly went to their martyrdoms. Would they do this to maintain some sort of conspiracy of silence?
  7. Other books: Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft - addresses questions one would typically expect from Atheists. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - helpful to re-read if you haven’t already done so. *Radio Replies - *sorry, don’t remember the authors, but is a huge compilation of succint answers to many questions, often hostile in nature.
  8. Despite #5-7, just remember you can’t read your way to great faith. I’ve tried that route. You can only pray your way to great faith. Reading is only the supplement, not the main course.

Just remember, our God is an AWESOME God. What is the alternative? Nothingness and meaninglessness.

Please pray, we have all crisis, but we have to reconvert us, continully

All the smart money will tell you to tough it out and that it doesn’t matter what you FEEL. At one level, that is good advice. But it is also hugely prideful to dismiss the consolations of God as if we didn’t need them. They can be a very important part of our spiritual development, especially in our youth. I do not sense that you are whining here. You’ve come to a dry patch and it’s unsettling – as it should be.

BEG Our Lord for the grace to experience his presence again, and for the grace to endure this dryness with hope and courage. Remember, the very desire to experience God’s presence is actually a tremendous gift in itself. Feed on the Bread of Desire.

Don’t put too much stock in your not feeling swept away by your visit to the Vatican, even being so close to the Pope. I think that shows a certain level of maturity. Ultimately, all that stuff – though fun – is not the core of our faith – it’s really cool, but it’s not the pith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.