I now pronounce you Man and Wife

Is there any Scriptural reference showing Jesus giving His authority to his disciples, or anyone else, to perform a wedding ceremony?

Sacrament of Matrimony does not need a priest to be valid. Differentiate between validity and lawfulness.

Maybe this would fall under the general heading of binding and loosing mentioned in Matthew 18:17, when Jesus said to the Apostles, “Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

[quote=Todd Easton]Maybe Matthew 18:17, when Jesus said to the Apostles, “Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

[/quote]

No no. That is not about Matrimony

[quote=beng]No no. That is not about Matrimony
[/quote]

With regard to power of binding and loosing, I was thinking more generally, in that, they were given authority to establish binding rules for maintaining order in the Church, as in creating a Cod of Canon Law, Order of the Mass, Rite of Marriage.

[quote=beng]No no. That is not about Matrimony
[/quote]

Why not? What criteria are you using to limit the extent of
Whatever?

**Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma - Ludwig Ott (P 645-646)

Every valid contract of Marriage between Christians is of itself a sacrament. (Sent. Certa.)**

Since Christ elevated natural marriage, which consisted essentially in the contract of marriage, to the dignity of a Sacrament and an efficacious sign of grace, the Sacrament of Matrimony coincides materially with the contract of marriage. Consequently every valid contract of marriage between Christians is, on the ground of Divine ordinance, at the same time a Sacrament. According to the Decretum pro Armenis, the mutual decleration of will of the pair to be married (not the priestly blessing!) is the efficient cause of the Sacrament of Matrimony (D 702). According to the teaching of the Council of Trent, those clandestine marriages contracted without the co-operation of the Church by the free decleration of will of the contracting parties are valid marriaage as long as the Church does not declare them invalid (Decree “Tametsi”; 990). Cf. D334,404.

Popes Pius IX, Leo XIII and Pius XI expressly declared that in Christian marriage the Sacrament of Matrimony can not be seperated from the contract of marriage, and that on account of this, every true marriage among Christians is in itself and of itself a sacrament: omne inter Christian iustum coniugium in se et per se sacramentum (Leo XIII, D 1854). Cf. D 1640, 1766, 1773, 2237; CIC 1012

It is my understanding that the ministers of matrimony are the two parties involved (bride and groom). The priest or deacon is just a witness…just as Jesus was a witness to the wedding at Cana.

Yes, the parties being married confer the sacrament on each other and the couple can marry without the blessing and wittness of a deacon or priest.
However, the marriage may not be valid in the state unless there is an officer of some type; i.e., you may hava a sacramental marriage, but not a legal marriage if there is not an official like a priest or judge.
I’m pretty sure that "I pronnounce you man and wife " is a legal formula as opposed to a sacramental one.
And,an unwillingness to observe the normal rites may cast doubt on the seriousness of the intent or lack of knowlege of what marriage is, or simple gross immaturity, all of which are grounds for annullment and indications that the marriage didn’t occurr.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.