I overindulged last night

I haven't had a drink in over 13 months. Last night I went out with some friends and I decided to have a few drinks. Next thing you know I was drunk - but not badly, just really happy. I woke up hungover this morning.

I feel really, really awful about it. I mean, I had fun last night, I didn't do anything out of character, I wasn't badly drunk... but I still don't like it. The hangover is awful, it feels a lot like God saying "Well.... you overindulge so pay the price".

I feel really awful about offending God. I woke up this morning and I have been begging forgiveness from Him. I am usually in bed by 10pm every night, awake at 6am for a run/workout and that's that. I decided finally to go out with my friends last night and in general I broke my own rules about drinking/partying but I didn't act badly or anything.

Basically, it really sucks :(
Disappointed with myself :mad:

Not to pry, but: How did you offend God? :confused:

Hint: Drinking, even to the point of happiness, is not *per se * an offense against God.

tee

We all make mistakes, all of us, and we do it every day. God is constantly leading us, but we are like wandering sheep or maybe a herd of cats.

There is an old expression saying that good judgment comes from past mistakes. If that is true, our judgment is getting better every day. :D

Don't dwell on it, but use it as a learning opportunity. None of us is perfect, but we strive to be as we have those daily failures. From what you say, it does not seem you went all that far. But it also seems to be a mistake, not a pre-planned violation of God's law.

Pray about it, go to confession if you feel a need to, and put it in the past.

God bless you!

it is good that you have learnt your mistake. it is advisable that you go for a good confession. i was addicted to alcohol but once i gave my life to Christ, with His grace i was able to put an end to it. now i dont even think about drinking. all you have to do is repent and try not to repeat it again.
be blessed.

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:2, topic:239145"]
Not to pry, but: How did you offend God? :confused:

Hint: Drinking, even to the point of happiness, is not *per se * an offense against God.

tee

[/quote]

when we sin we offend God and drinking in itself is a sin. therefore, by drinking we offend God. drinking is a sin because is harms our bodies which are temples of the Holy Spirit.
be blessed.

[quote="JULIAN_PINTO, post:5, topic:239145"]
when we sin we offend God and drinking in itself is a sin. therefore, by drinking we offend God. drinking is a sin because is harms our bodies which are temples of the Holy Spirit.
be blessed.

[/quote]

Drinking itself is not a sin. Purposely trying to get drunk may be, but drinking is not. Our current Holy Father is a fan of beer (like any good German LOL). Jesus drank wine. Moderate alcohol consumption has many positive effects on the body (prevents heart disease, etc.), so saying that any drinking is a sin because it harms our bodies is not accurate.

Brother you did act badly, mainly also by causing scandal infront of the people you know. Non-christians and Christians alike know that you’d never find Jesus drunk…

However, you have regretted it, will seek not to do it again, and so now receive the forgiveness of God and go to confession about it when you can.

By the way, you say, " I didn’t act badly", but you know that getting drunk is “acting badly”. Too much alcohol can make you say and do stupid things, it breaks down your brain and liver, and its a lousy example to set for your friends and family especially children.
By the way, I got drunk with in the presense of my last boyfriend about 6 months ago… he was sober… And I am embarrassed about that still, that I showed myself such a fool with low self-mastery to a guy I’d potentially spend my life with and have kids with. BAD JUDGEMENT all around.

But… God is never surprised and we should not be either, when we fall. Rather we should expect our weaknesses to show at any moment and thus run away from the occasions of sin.

be blessed.

[/quote]

:confused:

Wait, wait...
Didn't Christ Himself drink wine?
Didn't He turn water INTO wine when they ran out at the wedding at Cana?

DRINKING is not a sin.

HARMING your body can be sinful.

Alcohol affects the body in a variety of ways... and different people are affected by different drinks uniquely. Some people get violently ill when they drink gin, but can handle vodka (same goes for red vs white wine, or a multitude of other comparisons)... same amount of alcohol consumed, but it may just affect us differently. That's not a punishment from God... that's a lesson you need to learn in how certain types and levels of alcohol affect YOUR body.

All of this assumes drinking in moderation... again, harming your body can be sinful.

I think that is how we come eventually to confront and overcome all harmful behavior: is how bad I am going to feel tomorrow enough to prevent me from doing whatever it is tonight. How much pain can you stand before you follow the least painful path in regard to food, drink or any other sense pleasure. Apparently most of us have a high threshhold for self induced pain because it takes a long time before we decide to forego inflicting it.

can’t find a life lesson smiley

Where did you learn this? Is it the teaching of the Church?

tee

be blessed.

[/quote]

Someone tell my parish, who just held a Cinco De Mayo fiesta in the parish center. They had a margarita machine.

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:10, topic:239145"]
Where did you learn this? Is it the teaching of the Church?

tee

[/quote]

If something is harmful to our bodies it can be a sin against "thou shall not kill" I don't think a couple of drinks over several hours is harmful though. To knowingly start smoking or tanning booth however is another matter... with what we know these days.

[quote="whm, post:12, topic:239145"]
If something is harmful to our bodies it can be a sin against "thou shall not kill" I don't think a couple of drinks over several hours is harmful though. To knowingly start smoking or tanning booth however is another matter... with what we know these days.

[/quote]

I do not believe you will find such a direct statement in, eg the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I could be wrong and am open to correction.

tee

Take a pain reliever of some description or other and get it down with as much water as you manage. Re-hydrating yourself is the key here, so no caffeinated coffee, tea, or soft drinks . Getting a decent amount of REM sleep also is crucial. The alcohol-flavored sleep you got last night didn’t cut it. Take a long nap today if you can.

Once you’re feeling better you’ll be able to think more clearly about all of this.

Well, that is what we have the sacrament of confession for! I went this morning and as usual, I feel so good now! I think you are being too hard on yourself. Alcohol is a substance that removes your inhibitions as you drink it, thus, one tends to drink more. It’s hard to stop with one drink, that’s not you, that’s the very effect of the alcohol on your brain. It’s really a wonder anyone ever manages to STOP drinking or not drink.

Maybe you are putting yourself in too tight a box, NewsTheMan. Maybe because you hadn’t had any alcohol in over a year, it was a little hard to resist. Can you drink in moderation? Is it the people you were with? If everyone is drinking like fish, it’s kind of hard to say “No, thanks.”

well, hugs to you. BTDT, threw up all over the t-shirt.

The catechism is an impressive document but it is not all encompassing. It not always precise. It does say something about taking reasonable care of ones body.

It is precise about intentional getting drunk being a sin, and a potentially mortal sin, if done intentionally with full consent of the will(. A glass a wine is not a sin, if it does not make you drunk.

I have heard theological opinions about smoking being a sin. Specifically one who knows what we now know about how dangerous smoking is and decides to start smoking. Not necessarily those who are currently addicted (although obviously a serious problem and they should try to stop, but the addiction lessons their guilt)

Just to be difficult…occasional and moderate use of a tanning bed is prescribed by some dermatologists for certain skin conditions and they weigh the risks of it as being safer than the chemical creams and oral meds used for those skin disorders treatment. Also, some use artificial sun light as a treatment for SAD instead of using antidepressants.

I realize you were using it as an example of people that “bake in the bed” to look good. I do agree with your example of smoking since I haven’t heard of tobacco being used to treat any illnesses or diseases.

there are only certain drinks that are good for your body in moderate amounts. others harm your body even in moderation. wine, feni, etc. are good in moderation whereas vodka, whisky, etc. are bad even in moderation.
be blessed.

and your source for this claim is?

OP did not ask about reasonable drink in reasonable amounts is issue is overindulgence to the point of actual physical illness. I think the question has been answered. Isn’t God gracious to see too it that some sins carry their own penance within them.

Not so. Moderate (1 drink a day or less) consumption of ANY alcohol is shown to improve cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Wine probably has more benefits than many others because of the antioxidants in the grapes, but that doesn’t mean other alcohols are bad. Overindulgence is harmful, not moderate drinking.

Source:
webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20110224/moderate-alcohol-drinking-may-boost-heart-health

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.