I pray the Jesus prayer

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Pretty much says it all.

That’s actually the long version.

I hear this is the short version :slight_smile:

Lord Jesus Christ - have mercy on me.

You could shorten it even more - “Lord have Mercy!”

I thought it was: “Jesus Christ, only Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Although, I cannot find this version online, now, so…:thinking:

Can’t think you’ll go wrong with any of these versions…

I pray that too! My counselor (I have OCD) told me it has the perfect amount of syllables for breathing in then out during anxiety. I am actually reading a book about it as well, regarding its origins and what not.
But it definitely helps me calm my racing mind! Makes me focus on Jesus as my Lord and not whatever has bothered me!

Same here. I breathe in on the first part and breathe out on the second part. A wonderful prayer. Calming.

Yes! Exactly!

I also have anxiety and use this prayer to help with that! It’s amazing how the name of Jesus carries such a healing power!

Then Bishop sheen made his hospital rounds way back when. He encountered a very angry dying man who wanted nothing to do with him - ordered him out of the room! The Venerable Bishop got close and said, Yes, I’ll go. But, when you know the end is near, just say, “My Jesus, mercy.” With that he left.

A few days later, he heard that the man had died. The RN told Bishop Sheen, “He kept repeating ‘My Jesus, mercy’ until he died.” Of such are made the Servants of God.

:sob: :heart: :heart:

What a great story to start my Sunday morning before going to mass

How about just saying Deus miserere.

I say Lord Jesus Christ son of the living God have mercy on me a sinner.
I say it when I am stressed or just want to pray.

Matt Fradd prays it too

A good way of saying the Jesus Prayer is to first sit in a comfortable chair

Close your eyes and ask the Holy Spirit to help you to pray.

Begin by praying in your mind, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.”

Repeat the prayer as you go into the presence of God dwelling within.

Continue to repeat the prayer, as you focus on being in God’s presence.

When you become aware that your thoughts took you away from the focus of your intention,
return to the prayer, but this time shorten it by leaving off the last part, “Lord Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me.”

Continue this way and again, when you become aware that you’ve wandered off from your prayer, return to the Jesus prayer, but once again, shorten it. “Lord Jesus Christ Son of God.”

Eventually, you’ll end up with just the first part of the prayer, “Lord Jesus Christ,” then just “Lord Jesus.” Stay here until you feel God bringing you out of prayer. Say the Lord’s prayer, quietly out loud and slowly open your eyes and return to your daily life.

Don’t expect to feel or experience anything in the prayer. Whatever takes place, will be from God’s doing, not from what you’re doing.

The focus of your intention is to just rest in the presence of God. He’ll provide what He knows you need.

Centered In Christ

Jim

I pray it as the Act of Contrition during confession. It’s valid, and I can pray it without having to read from a card!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.