I prefer to pray in Latin

Is that because, as Catholics; we are supposed to honor the Jewish injunction not to pronounce God’s True Name?

As for the original text, I mean the text as maintained in Church documents.

Yes! I love Latin as well.

I don’t speak Latin :frowning:, but I can do pig Latin.

I’ll bottle my anger… (but wow they have definitely ‘crept in’). Anyhow, I think not using YHWH has more to do with this:

Strong’s H3050 יה (JAH) – GOD, LORD, Jah, the Lord, proper name of deity
Strong’s H1943 הוה (hovah) – A ruin, disaster, misfortune, calamity
H3050 יה (GOD) + H1943 הוה (DISASTER) = יהוה “GOD OF RUIN, mischief, calamity”

Let the Anabaptists (30% of all American ‘Christianity’) chase their tale in circles of confusion and error and lies of Strong’s Concordance as they let the Rabbi’s (other Masters/Teachers) teach them what the words mean. They come up with the most laughable things. But in Greek everything means the same Old and New. No confusion. This is how God does things:

God is the author of Sacred Scripture (CCC:105). God would not use multiple languages for His actual ‘written word’ (translations are another topic).

–(for those who are able to receive it)
–Gen 11:7 “Come, let US GO DOWN and CONFUSE their LANGUAGE
–1 Cor 14:33 For God is NOT the AUTHOR of CONFUSION

The way I understand prayer, especially private prayer, is that it is a conversation between me and who I am praying to/with. Since I only speak American English, I pray in that also.

I don’t mind some Latin in the the Mass and love the Greek Kyrie, but I find it most conducive to pray in my own tongue.

When I served the Latin Mass the words always hit my ears.

“Emitte lucem tuam et veritatem tuam”

So poetic and to the point.

I agree, but Is it more poetic or poignant than the English? Send out your light and your truth.

There are things that lose something in translation. St Augustine’s great “Sero te amavi…” from the Confessions is hard to translate. “Late have I loved you…” but “Send light and truth” seems destined for beauty in any language.

Depends on how you translate it. Maybe a better example would be the Suscipiat where the alliteration of sound and tongue-twisting is more obvious. The Nicene Creed has more rhyme than any translation I’ve heard. Who was it that said Latin is a language of endings? Made it easier to read when you didn’t have spaces. :wink:

When Benedict encouraged the faithful to learn the basic prayers in Latin I learned the Our Father and Hail Mary. I will eventually learn the Hail Holy Queen.

I usually say these prayers in English but sometimes in Latin as the mood strikes me.

If I’m not mistaken, are we not also supposed to know the responses to the Mass in Latin?

Indeed. Everyone, not just English speakers.

I’d love to know the responsae in Latin. I once had the entire Rosary memorized in Latin.

Jubilate Deo

Vatican allowed free copies to every parish.

My Roman Daily Missal has the Mass in English and Latin, but it doesn’t have the readings and propers in Latin.

:wave:

That’s funny. Hi!!!

Short prayers yes because easy to memorize. Longer ones would have to read from a prayer book.

Same as English, no?
:two::copyright:

Latin is the same language spoken by Nero and used to worship Jupiter and the Emperor.

(yes, for the dense among you, that’s satirical and sarcastic)

That may be the case; but: The Church made Latin it’s own, so it’s more than kosher to speak Latin as a Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.