I ran into a Lutheran Woman Priest. Felt a little odd seeing her

I saw this Lutheran Priestess and I couldn’t help but to feel very odd and uncomfortable. She seemed like a nice person but I couldn’t get myself to say hello. I hope to be able to remove this uncomfortableness in the future.

I hope so too. Saying hello is just the neighborly thing to do, even if you disagree with a person.

She is no doubt sincere in her belief and her desire to be a good Christian. I have been having an online discussion with someone who referred to the Catholic Church in colourful and offensive (to me) language. He is a member of a evangelical community church. In the end, I concluded that although I know he has been misled, he does want to love God.

It’s not your church. You don’t have to judge. I have seen Catholic priests and woman Lutheran priests in friendly public conversation and can’t see why you’d have to treat her any differently than other people who doesn’t follow your own faith. To make it easier for yourself, I suggest you use the normal word in Luthern churches, “minister” rather than “priest” (and certainly not “priestess” which implies something heathen.)

Doh. To follow my own suggestion, that should be “woman Lutheran ministers” of course. Not all languages have different words for Catholic vs. Lutheran clerics, but since English has I’ll try to remember to use them.

Yes to us they are a joke, but one has to remember that most of them are very sincere about their faith and for them there is nothing wrong about female priests or ministers if you like.

But I don’t necessarily think that female ministers is something that every Lutheran think is okey either, Before I was led by the Holy Spirit to the Catholic Church I used to be a Lutheran and most of the Lutherans I knew was disagreeing about the use of female ministers so my impression was that this was something of a more political matter rather than following the wishes of the faithful.

Where Im from the ties has been quite close between the gouvermet and the Lutheran Church (The Norwegian Church) and it HAS affected a lot of the decitions being made at every single church meeting they’ve had.
I mean for decades their bishops has been appointed by the secular government much like our nabors in Sweden.

Anyway, I think it’s important to NOT put oneself in a judging position as that position Is for God only.
If one for any reason should wind up in a dialog about the different expression of Christian faith with a female Lutheran Minister one are entitled to share the truth of the Holy Catholic Church, but then one should approach the subject with mutual respect.

If just passing by them I would try to treat them with the same respect that I expect them to show our priests and brothers:)

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

I too have felt like yourself,… These ladies that take on these roles should be given the respect they deserve , weather you agree with the idea or not,
Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is justified or not,am I just a biased old fuddy ,
I don’t know, one the other hand, I think to myself, Why Not ?
They are still human beings,Children of God,there are plenty of Female saints is there not ?
So, should we move on and get over it ?

Some Lutheran churches have women ministers. Others not, and opinions vary. A lot.

Since Lutheran churches multiply by division, this is one of the things that churches have sometimes split over.

I know what you mean—addressing anyone but a man as a priest feels odd to me too. What do you call her? “Reverent”? “Sister”? " Her first name? Yet I absolutely agree that being courteous is important and the simple fact is that many protestant sects have female ministers now days. I always just look at it as an “Oh well” moment, It’s their church’s problem not mine! And they are probably perfectly nice women who just believe differently than I do.

Lutherans typically don’t call their male ministers “father”… possibly Anglicans are an exception here? Ask the lay protestants in said church what they call their female ministers. Or check the news, how ministers of said Lutheran church are referred to.

Actually, the typical word in Lutheran settings in America is “pastor”. However, our confessions do refer to our called and ordained clergy as priest, and there are those who call them Father, even here in America.
From this Lutheran’s perspective, the issue isn’t particularly the title, but instead the validity, or lack thereof, of female ordination. I would never be disrespectful to the clergy of other communions, male or female, but it doesn’t follow that I am obliged to view their female clergy as valid.

Jon

They probably refer to her in the same way they refer to their male clergy: Pastor ______ .

Jon

There used to be a lovely married couple who were Lutheran ministers that used to visit their parishoners in the hospital where I worked. We just called them Reverend, as that is how they referred to themselves.

I think we should always remember that despite our differing beliefs, Ministers of other denominations have dedicated their lives to serving God and they should be respected for that. If we are not willing to show them respect, we can’t complain if our priests aren’t shown respect.

I grew up very insulated in a Catholic environment, so women ministers were not the norm for me either. Later, I worked on the remodel of an Episcopalian church, and the pastor was female. I’ll never forget, I was working on an elaborate switching system for the church lights, and the pastor came up and examined the work, nodded in approval, and declared it, “Sexy.” (or maybe she was referring to me! :eek:). But I’m almost certain it was the switch bank.

:smiley:

I remember when Lutherans [ELCA] began ordaining females to the holy Ministry and the feeling of awkwardness when I met my first female pastor. In-fact, my home parish installed an assistant pastor who was female in the late 1980’s. Now the presiding bishop in America is a female as well as the archbishop in Sweden.

My husband and I were married by a lady Lutheran minister. She took us through pre-marital counseling and we think she did a great job. We had a beautiful marriage. It wasn’t a sacramental marriage because Lutherans only have two sacraments (baptism and communion).

It isn’t that women aren’t capable of the skills required. It isn’t that women aren’t talented speakers and wonderful witnesses of faith. It is only because of how He chose to set up His Church. I would listen to anyone, male or female, that spoke of God’s truths.

However, the Sacraments can only be given to us through a properly ordained priest.

After my confimation this past Easter, my husband and I had our marriage convalidated in the Catholic Church. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a problem speaking with or conversing with protestant female clergy in the least, however, it is awkward when they wear clerical garb. It’s like expecting me to not notice a guy in a dress, or a woman wearing men’s clothes. It bothers me a little when non-denominational male pastors also dress extra grungy to “fit in” and seem “normal” as well. I mean, those “normal” looking jeans are tagged with a label that cost much more than the priest’s black cassock… Like much else we American’s export, much of it is surface level and fake at the core.

There is a faction in the LCMS that would agree that women’s suffrage in the church was an error that has led to additional errors.

Having been raised in the WELS, I wouldn’t be opposed to the synod walking the clock back to their position in 1969 or at least placing well-defined limits on it. Having a woman lector is still outside my comfort zone although I suppose if the Lord can speak through Balaam’s ***, well…

I pray that the Holy Spirit create a clean heart in me, and a mind that is open to being led.

AFAIK the Catholic Church teaches that the marriage between two baptized persons is a sacrament, regardless of whether there was a priest present or not–because the ministers of the sacrament are the couple themselves.

I’m on the same page. Women’s “ordination” is clearly against the natural order established by God and the Tradition of the church, and having female lectors and cantors seems like a waffly attempt to -ugh- compromise. As for women’s suffrage in congregational voter meetings, I’m indifferent. The ‘head’ of the congregation is still the [male] Pastor, so is a woman actually in any authority over a man by being permitted a voice (that’s a chance to be heard, not a position of leadership) in what goes on at a given parish? :shrug:

In relation to the OP, sure, I’ll call them pastor out of respect for the faith they practice; but those pastrixes’ “ordinations” are not valid in the same way that I know a Confessional Lutheran, Continuing Anglican, Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox ordination to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.