I read Orthodoxy

I just read Orthodoxy by Chesterson last night. I loved it! It was awesome. I should have read it a long time ago. I read it for hours cuz i couldn’t put it down. Anyone else like it?

[quote=Oren]I just read Orthodoxy by Chesterson last night. I loved it! It was awesome. I should have read it a long time ago. I read it for hours cuz i couldn’t put it down. Anyone else like it?
[/quote]

One of my favorite books (you should also read “Heretics”). Orthodoxy, along with St. Augustine’s “Confessions” were instrumental in bringing me back to the Church (after having been a lapsed Catholic for almost 20 years).

How’s that for a one-two punch?..Augustine and Chesterton :smiley:

By the way, one of my favorite 'lines" from the book is when Chesterton explains that reason there is so much activity (noise, traffic, etc) is because we’re all so lazy - half the traffic could be eliminated if people got up and walked instead of jumping in their cars (and this written almost 100 years ago!) He truly was the apostle of common sense.

**Yes! :thumbsup: **

Gilbert Keith Chesteron was truly the “Apostle of Common Sense”.

It would have been awesome to see him ‘live’ during one of his apologetics debates.

I love to catch the G.K. Chesteron series on EWTN when I can. He had an incredible mind & we are so fortunate to be able read so many truths about our Catholic fatih through his writings. He had such sharp wit & a great sense of humor. :slight_smile:

I am going to pick up the annotated version of Orthodoxy, just to make sure I understand everything he was writing about. Here is a link to that book below.
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0970377215/ref=wl_it_dp/102-3558310-2125726?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2VYTX4OTNYKW0&v=glance&colid=73L7SZIP0VDG

I also have “The Everlasting Man”. I can’t wait to collect more of his books!

M:wave:

I loved it too. This quote seemed to describe me …

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."

[quote=itsjustdave1988]I loved it too. This quote seemed to describe me …

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
[/quote]

Chesterton is simply the best, and most maligned, author of the last century. None of the typical post-modern drivel that passes for poetry can hold a candle to “Lepanto,” and even Heaney’s Beowulf pales next to The Ballad of the White Horse. I just finished teaching *Orthodoxy *to my students (juniors in high school). They loved it!

I would hesitate on picking up “Orthodoxy” edited by Kibler and published by the Reformation press.

I bought Heretics/Orthodoxy (along with Augustine’s Confessions and a couple other books) from Thomas Nelson. Though they are wonderfully bound…I cannot justify buying anymore books from them since I discovered they also published Foxe’s Book of Martyrs.

I like Martin Gardiner’s annotations in the Innocence of Father Brown. I would suggest Gardiner.

Adam

[quote=amarischuk]I would hesitate on picking up “Orthodoxy” edited by Kibler and published by the Reformation press.

I bought Heretics/Orthodoxy (along with Augustine’s Confessions and a couple other books) from Thomas Nelson. Though they are wonderfully bound…I cannot justify buying anymore books from them since I discovered they also published Foxe’s Book of Martyrs.

Adam
[/quote]

Thanks Adam,

Can you explain further? I am sorry I don’t know anything about the Foxe’s book.

M

yes, i bought Orthodoxy, and Saint Augustine’s Confessions at the same time. I read Orthodoxy that same night, i couldn’t put it down. But i haven’t read Confessions yet. I’m going to though. I’ve heard great things about it. But Orthodoxy just blew me away. The common sense (that isn’t so common really) and the humor in it. Great, awesome stuff. I want to read more of his stuff def. There are so many lines in that book that are great. I love it when he says how these rich guys critizise the clergy for wearing these luxurious robes, while they’re wearing the ugliest clothes ever, and how a robe might make more sense than trousers. There’s just a ton of lines in it. i want to read it again and underline all of them lol.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.