I read the book of Mormon

my feelings gat hurt when I read the book of Mormon, I gat to chapter 13 and felt a sense of racism so I had to ask them to stop coming to my house, I even quit my job because the company (pest control) was owned by Mormons. I no longer want to support them in anything unless they are leaving there church…

pray for them. i think most of them are trying their best to love God even though certain things are quite misguided

Which book? Saying “Chapter 13 of the Book of Mormon” is like saying “Chapter 13 of the Bible”. It’s a collection of books.

Yes, there’s a Book of Mormon in the Book of Mormon (Mormon-ception!). But I checked Wikipedia. It’s only 9 chapters long.

From the context, I’d assume it’s the portion of the book that refers to dark skinned persons as a lesser race fallen from grace, or however it states it. I have only a very cursory knowledge of the book so I’ve no idea what it states verbatim or where it is found. I read in a news post recently that the LDS recently clarified the doctrine. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come along and clarify.

I’m not sure what you mean “chapter 13”?

If I recall correctly, the change of the skin of the Lamanites happens in 2Nephi

first Nephi chapter 13 , the man named Nephi is dreaming and having a vision, he sees that “Beautiful white people" will come and destroy the gentiles(native Americans) and take back the land that belongs to them, also he says that God will be ok with the “Beautiful white peoples" ugly ways and that it’s perfectly fine to torture the gentiles(native Americans).

Which verse?

Still doesn’t make sense. "Lamanites"are the supposed decendents of Nephi----ie Native Americans to Mormons are the decendents of the Lamanites…

first Nephi chapter 13 , the man named Nephi is dreaming and having a vision, he sees that “Beautiful white people" will come and destroy the gentiles(native Americans) and take back the land that belongs to them, also he says that God will be ok with the “Beautiful white peoples" ugly ways and that it’s perfectly fine to torture the gentiles(native Americans).

No to Mormons, Native Americans are the decendents of Laman and Lemual, Nephi 's brothers if I recall…they are not Gentiles…

Gino, it doesn’t matter, even if there is confusion for you…its just a work of fiction

I think Joseph Smith wrote the book of Mormon in such a way that it would confuse the people. I noticed that many chapters or very long, sometimes 3 or 4 pages long, so many people choose to just follow without reading.

Michael D. Coe says about the Book of Mormon, “It’s so racist it hurts.”
Anyway…
We don’t want them Mormons to go away, but we need to TALK to them.
“Convince us of our errors of Doctrine, if we have any, by reason, by logical argu-
ments, or by the Word of God and we will ever be grateful for the information and
you will ever have the pleasing reflections that you have been instruments in the
hands of God of redeeming your fellow beings.”
– (Orson Pratt; The Seer, p. 15)

Sorry for asking, but WHY do you read it? I agree we must pray for them and I actually know one Mormon, but some thoughts they have is so far from Christianity it can. Smith just happen to “stumble” on something “golden” in the forest? They most likely mean well, and we can hope that God will judge them by the deeds, but…we have a free will…

Yes, why read it? Mark Twain once called it “chloroform in print.” And if it wasn’t for phrases like “…and it came to pass…” there wouldn’t be much to it. But there is no need to come to a crisis with your Mormon neighbors. No matter how insistent and misguided they are, they are overall good honest people of faith trying to love God. If you are firm in your faith and polite in dealing with them things have a way of settling down to a truce you can all live with.

you are right, ,
how could they be gentiles if they was supposed to be Jews when they ran away from Jerusalem? somehow the writer had a flaw, it didn’t make any sense, but your right. the book is not real…it’s just a story

They gave me the book for free, I gat bored one day and decided to read the book, it was very interesting and good until I gat to Nephi chapter 13’

Don’t worry, think about it like this: you are wiser now then before you got that book. I wish I would understand books like other (normal) people do, but about Mormons. We don’t need to approve, but we need to respect, so let all the flowers bloom,as we said in the 70th:s They have a right to believe as they do, as we have our right. Freedom is not only accepting what we accept, it all about accepting, still maybe not approving, what other accept. On a forum like this we must all the time remember one thing, don’t hurt anyone. You know, “love your neighbour as you love yourself”. We have our life and other people have their but we all need to share this globe when it travel in the space, going somewhere, so we need to give all the rights we want us to have.

Actually, an angel told him where to look, SO THE FAIRY TALE GOES.

This work of fiction came to pass in the first half of the 19th century. European Christians believed the land was theirs, as a providential gift. Thus, we find the same ideas you are reading in the Book of Mormon, rooted in American Exceptionalism, which had strong racial themes in the 19th century.

Mormonism presents itself as having the only mouthpiece for God in the world, within the last 2000 years. Yet, it is rooted in ideas of 19th century American society. It is working at reinventing itself, via press releases, and websites.

All the false teaching eventually hurts the soul. I am still recovering with what I was given as a child. Perhaps you can tell them how racist it is and it will either make them angry or help them start to question. Tell them why you don’t want to be Mormon. Then tell them what you believe about God. Share your testimony. Perhaps the Nicene Creed. Good luck to you and God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.